Camaro Zone Forums banner

Meatwad's 1999 Medium Blue Firebird Build Thread

53K views 669 replies 48 participants last post by  transambrandon 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been here for a little while now, instead of making a new thread every time i do something, ill post it here..I came across this car in the newspaper, it had 63k miles on it. When I went there, it was a blue that I have never seen before. I got it as a graduation gift and now is my DD. It has a 3.8l with 4l60e and 3.08 gears. When looking through the paper work, the engine was replaced at 57k miles, in 2005. When i bought it, the quarter panels were dented to all hell, the body work is good now.

I sanded the bird off of the center piece between the tail lights

I then bought WS6 Sway bars and installed them. Yes, I painted them. It gave under the car contrast. ($20)

I bought a High Rise hatch ($60) and then a trans am bumper ($20)

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
i bought switchback led turn signals and el-12 flasher and i bought some 880 led fog lights. ($55)

Firebird Switchback LED turn signals and LED fog lights - YouTube

Removed the air silencer, and removed the ribs from the air lid ($5)

Bought a pair of Trans Am Sideskirts and installed them ($150)
Also removed door strips and the Firebird door emblem(FREE)

Fabricated up some projectors for HID's ($132 including hid kit)

Bought Trans Am front bumper, came with wiring harness, waiting on foglamps i bought to be delivered. ($200)

#3 ·
Its looking nice, dude. I love that shade of blue. Any power mods planned in the future?

#11 ·
But if I'm gonna go 6.0 l92 heads, I'd much prefer an 80 over a 60, unless it's cheaper to just build a 60
Cheaper initially then blow a few up eventually making you upgrade by then you will have wasted enough money on transmissions that could otherwise be used to beef up other parts of the car.

just a slow LT1 that whistles :)

#13 ·
I hate to be "that guy" but if you're doing all this work to make your bird look just like a T/A, and then an engine swap to make if have the same engine (or close to it) of a T/A...

...why not just buy a T/A and paint it your blue color? lol ><

#14 ·
Torenhire said:
I hate to be "that guy" but if you're doing all this work to make your bird look just like a T/A, and then an engine swap to make if have the same engine (or close to it) of a T/A...

...why not just buy a T/A and paint it your blue color? lol ><
Cause i like a challenge, and I didn't pay for this car :p I like to say the color is from the factory also. Since I got the car for graduation, it'd also be cheaper to do a v8 swap.

#15 ·
Fair enough, was just curious...seemed like a lot of work/hassle for a T/A when you could just buy one and paint it :p

#19 ·
Because he can't match the paint :p

#17 ·
The only thing i dont like on a T/A front bumper is the fog light hole in the center. To me the only use is to remove the lights and use those for a turbo.

#18 ·
Ok people please stop calling them L60 or L80. Proper abbreviation is 80e or 60e. Also, for someone in particular watching this thread, it's torque converter, not stall converter (you know who you are lol)

Responded to your PM man, I hadn't seen this thread when I wrote back, but it's kind of geared towards what you were talking about anyways I see haha :)

#21 ·
Wouldn't you be matching the skirts and rear bumper you just got painted?? Why paint them to begin with if your getting a full re-spray?

#22 ·
Zach+'maro=:) said:
Wouldn't you be matching the skirts and rear bumper you just got painted?? Why paint them to begin with if your getting a full re-spray?
I did body work, they were Dented when I got it, wasn't going to leave primer exposed, and I needed to put my hatch, bumper, and sideskirts on because my garage was getting too full.

#27 ·
Good paint job w/ all body work is about 2-3k and upwards. My friends parents own a body shop on the side (he paints rv for a big company)

If you do the body work (not terribly hard) and sand the whole car, prep it, etc then the paint is like 600-700 and for a simple no designs paint job. labor might be 500. (thats with high quality paint)

#26 ·
y87bird00 said:
Mine are like that:/ I know you've got connections in paint and body but how much do you think it cost?
I dontt understand why people dent them up, it's not hard to keep them away from stuff. Honestly, I'm not sure because of the body work needed to fix the quarter panels. Itd be much much cheaper to do the body work yourself and then go get it painted.

#28 · (Edited)
My right rear quarter has a dent that goes along the wheel well, and the rest are door dings and creases from inconsiderate *******s in big trucks and SUVs:/ other than that there's a few dings on the door but the rest of the car is perfect:D

Edit: oh and 600-700 is way to low.. I did the prep for my bumpers, mirrors and headlight covers and it cost 900 to spray and align...

#29 ·
y87bird00 said:
My right rear quarter has a dent that goes along the wheel well, and the rest are door dings and creases from inconsiderate *******s in big trucks and SUVs:/ other than that there's a few dings on the door but the rest of the car is perfect:D

Edit: oh and 600-700 is way to low.. I did the prep for my bumpers, mirrors and headlight covers and it cost 900 to spray and align...
I borrows a friends stud welder, pulled the dents.... I removed my door strips because they were worthless down there lol

#34 ·
Ercmann said:
Watched it. Was the first :)
Where's the burnout ? And tire smoke ? And multi donuts ? :p

SS Mobile Concert Hall :-D
Lol, laid a tiny little strip of rubber off camera. Can't do donuts there cause there's not enough room to comfortably do them. And besides I don't want to spend money on new tires right now lol well tire rather say :lol:

#40 ·
Go pros are awesome they work as a point and shoot and full 1080p video sound quality is great too.

Most digital cameras now also take good video with good sound. I used to take videos with my old 8megapixle Olympus camera, it had good sound quality and decent video quality.

just a slow LT1 that whistles :)

#41 ·
I never realized how lucky I am to have my own body shop and supplies.

and i wouldn't recommend painting the car yourself unless you had your own booth. Otherwise your going to spend more time wetsanding or repainting/clearing than actually doing the body/paint

#42 ·
branj70 said:
I never realized how lucky I am to have my own body shop and supplies.

and i wouldn't recommend painting the car yourself unless you had your own booth. Otherwise your going to spend more time wetsanding or repainting/clearing than actually doing the body/paint
Body work is not an issue, perfect body, no dents in the body, painting is not an issue, paint came out and there is no ripples or any orange peel at all in the paint job. the mixing of paint from a paint shop was an issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.