Camaro Zone Forums banner

91 rs gets an extra gear.

2K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  Maro_91 
#1 ·
Guess I have had a little too much fun in my 91. I threw the driveshaft and shattered the bellhousing and transmission. And since I've been unable to find a 5 speed for under $800 I spent $900 on a t56 out of an lt1 Camaro. I hope to have all of the last of the parts in right after the first of the year. I'm posting a couple pictures of the t5 bellhousing as it sits. The other strange part is that the yolk was still in the rear of the transmission with the u-joint in place undamaged and the rear u-joint is still attached to the rear end undamaged.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Camaro Zone mobile app

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Yeah 305 tbi. I wouldn't buy anything with a 6 lol. The sad part is that a couple months ago I saw two or three t5s for around $500 and now that I need one I can't find one cheap. So 6 speed it is.

#7 ·
Here's a few more pictures as I start the process. Gonna do a lot of painting underneath. Gonna do a lot of stuff in the neon green like my bellhousing is.

Attachments

#9 ·
Sorry for the delay. I've still been making a lot of progress though. Got the motor out so I can go through it. The rear end was removed and is now back in with new tubular LCAs and Panhard from Founders Performance, as well as new Moog springs. Hope to get the block and heads painted today as well as well as getting the new ball joints in so I can install the front springs.

#11 ·
So go the engine bay taken care of. Got the motor gone through and the front end bsck together with new rod bearings, oil pump, oil pickup, oil pan, distributor, motor mounts coil springs, ball joints, sway bar bushings, and end links. And now it's back in. Here are some pics of the progress.

Attachments

#13 ·
Got the new flywheel, clutch kit and the transmission in. Didn't have to cut the floor for the shifter but I did have to remove the rubber boot. I'll be replacing it with some vinyl. BMR cross member holding it in.

#14 ·
Well after the long break between posts I'm glad to report that she's almost done! I was able to drive it today. Just have to adjust the timing a little and I have a dakota digital SGI 5 box on the way to get the speedo working properly. Unfortunately I found out the hard way that the t5 and t56 speed sensors aren't compatible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.