Camaro Zone Forums banner

Adam's 99 Z28

24K views 296 replies 17 participants last post by  adray96 
#1 ·
A couple weeks ago I got a 99 NBM Z28 and I decided rather than start a new thread every time something came up if start a thread for the car to just ask questions on here.

Here's a few pictures:
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Automotive exterior
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Car

It has a crate LS1 and a trans rebuilt by RPMs in Indiana, both with 30,000 miles. It also has an SLP intake with a corvette lid, and an SLP exhaust. AC and EGR are gone, I ordered blocking plates for the EGR. I also need to install a drivers side mirror, window motor, and the cam sensor needs to be tuned.
On to my first questions I have, do I need to get a new window regulator along with the motor, or can I just replace the motor? And in another thread that I started in the tech section it was mentioned I could probably take the air pump out since I don't have the EGR, would that be a problem?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
A couple weeks ago I got a 99 NBM Z28 and I decided rather than start a new thread every time something came up if start a thread for the car to just ask questions on here.

Here's a few pictures:
View attachment 30708
View attachment 30709 View attachment 30710 View attachment 30711 View attachment 30712

It has a crate LS1 and a trans rebuilt by RPMs in Indiana, both with 30,000 miles. It also has an SLP intake with a corvette lid, and an SLP exhaust. AC and EGR are gone, I ordered blocking plates for the EGR. I also need to install a drivers side mirror, window motor, and the cam sensor needs to be tuned.
On to my first questions I have, do I need to get a new window regulator along with the motor, or can I just replace the motor? And in another thread that I started in the tech section it was mentioned I could probably take the air pump out since I don't have the EGR, would that be a problem?
The window regulator and motor together can be replaced, or just the motor. If you replace just the motor, You will need to drill out the factory rivets that hold the factory regulator and motor together. Then you can just re-rivet or bolt the new motor on.
Removing the air pump (smog pump) wont hurt the engine, but if your State has emissions testing, it won't pass without the air pump. Just info, I will guess your State doesn't do emissions testing, having removed the EGR.

#6 ·
Well, until I figure out what I'm doing with the EGR I put the blocking plates on, I know I'm risking not passing emissions. The next thing are my turn signals. Try flash kind of oddly and seem to shudder, I'll put a video of what I mean

Could it be faulty wiring? Could the flasher be going out?

#7 ·
I would put money on it being the flasher.

Sent from my Z796C using Camaro Zone mobile app

#11 ·
You have to remove the kick panel under the instruments / steering wheel,
and the flasher is above the tranny hump on the bottom of the center of the dash.

#9 ·
Lay under the steering wheel and I believe its against the firewall.

#16 ·
I'm not sure mine was replaced when I changed the fuel pump and then my gauge was right for a while and now it's so accurate

-Sent from Brooke's iPhone <3

#18 ·
Welcome, I'm almost positive that you can replace just the sending unit it's self. Replacing the fuel pump wasn't hard at all.

-Sent from Brooke's iPhone <3

#23 ·
So, I have to replace the cam sensor and last night the guy that works on my car sometimes said that something else should be replaced with the cam sensor, but he couldn't remember what and ended up never mentioning what else should be replaced with it. Would anyone on here happen to know what else should be replaced with the cam sensor?

#29 ·
You do have to remove the intake but its not that hard. Did you ever find out if your state does emissions? If they don't, you could swap in a ls manifold since it will already be off.

#30 ·
I found a video on YouTube that does a decent job showing how to remove the intake, but I think I'd be nervous to do it myself, I know it's easy to break the oil pressure line (I don't think that's what it is, but it's something like that). My state does have emissions testing and I don't really have money for and LS6 intake at the moment, it's something I'd definitely like to do down the road though.

#31 ·
I don't know how the ls manifold would work if you have emissions testing. It deletes the egr. I broke the oil pressure sending unit on mine when I did it but its not the most expensive part to replace. You would likely pay more for someone to pull the manifold for you.

#33 ·
I know it requires an EGR delete, that's another reason why it'd be fine later, I plan on moving out if state after college. Don't if that'll for sure happen or not, but still. Thank you to both of you for the help!

#35 · (Edited)
So, if I were too replace my cam sensor myself what are all of the possible risks I could I run into, and how long should it take? I've never taken off an intake manifold before, and I know the oil pressure sending unit is easy to break, anything else?

#36 ·
Go ahead and buy a new oil pressure sending unit. Mine was pretty brittle. I could actually break mine by hand without much force. Other than that, its a pretty easy job removing the manifold. I swapped from ls1 to ls6 manifold in about 2.5 hours and it was my first time. Get new intake manifold gaskets as well. Its a pretty straight forward task.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.