Harlock - 1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8 V6 - Page 4 - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > General Discussion Forums > Members Camaros and Firebirds

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-09-2016, 10:09 PM   #61
Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Harlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 297
Thanks: 27
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Garage
Valve body was was wore along with the plate above it. I had him replace the plate also. He said it smelled good and the tcm learned itself in a couple miles. The body I got is the updated model, the passages flow a bit easier so it doesn't shift so hard.

He said the most important thing is two bolts that are 5mm different in length being put in the wrong holes screws something up with fluid flow. I'm pretty sure that was our biggest problem but they did see the wore out plate above the valve body. All in all a good quality repair. It will pass with a windshield replacement, I'm gonna try to get the rear axle bearing replaced. He said it has multiple oil leaks, we will think about what to do there for a little bit.

__________________
Harlock, 1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8L V6 base, 118K, sebring silver
Harlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-16-2017, 12:22 PM   #62
Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Harlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 297
Thanks: 27
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Garage
Sorry I haven't updated the ol' train wreck for a long time.

We replaced the axle bearing...and the entire axle.



Here's the updated to-do list:

1. Cat-back exhaust (exhaust leak/intermediate pipe is the wrong diameter)
2. Oil loss diagnose and fix (losing oil somewhere)
3. Holes in the rear quarter panels from the old spoiler need to be welded/filled
4. Tail lights need re-sealed (moisture buildup inside)
5. Brake switch
6. Brake shift interlock solenoid (shifter can be moved without foot on the brake)
7. Door bumpers need replaced or removed
8. Paint chips in hood need filled in
9. Calipers/pads/rotors (ones that weren't already replaced)
10. Headliner needs replaced
11. Passenger side sun visor needs replaced
12. Get the fog lights working
13. Replace the windshield

Getting there...I keep telling myself that...

__________________
Harlock, 1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8L V6 base, 118K, sebring silver

Last edited by Harlock; 05-16-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Harlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:14 AM   #63
Addicted Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
 
96firephoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,580
Thanks: 56
Thanked 122 Times in 110 Posts
Send a message via AIM to 96firephoenix
That's a huge list of stuff to do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlock View Post
5. Brake switch (can be adjusted)
6. Brake shift interlock solenoid (shifter can be moved without foot on the brake) (can also be adjusted)
10. Headliner needs replaced (Write-Up: recovering headliner if it isn't broken)
11. Passenger side sun visor needs replaced (I removed mine entirely when I re-covered the headliner. They are so small they are useless in almost all situations.
replies in bold.
__________________

A.J.
1996 Firebird 3800 Series II, T5 swap RIP 3-31-11
It lives on: Engine and trans from ^ are now in v
1996 Firebird 3800 Series II, T5
96firephoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-17-2017, 01:55 PM   #64
Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Harlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 297
Thanks: 27
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96firephoenix View Post
That's a huge list of stuff to do!

5. Brake switch (can be adjusted)
6. Brake shift interlock solenoid (shifter can be moved without foot on the brake) (can also be adjusted)
10. Headliner needs replaced (http://www.camarozone.com/forum/f14/...adliner-69783/ if it isn't broken)
11. Passenger side sun visor needs replaced (I removed mine entirely when I re-covered the headliner. They are so small they are useless in almost all situations.
I know now that the brake switch can be adjusted but that actually might not be the problem. The brake pedal only needs to be pressed like an inch or two down, and it'll stop the car from moving. The brakes have been bled twice (with me pumping the pedal while my dad bled the fluid), and the front brake hoses were replaced, to try and fix the issue but that didn't help it. The calipers aren't frozen or stuck because all of them were removed and inspected after I got it...

I'm not sure how the interlock solenoid could've gotten un-adjusted enough to not work whatsoever...? It can shift from park into reverse and any other position without the brake pressed. I unplugged it and plugged it back in with no change.

The headliner and foam has holes and tears in it so I can't re-use the cloth or padding. I want to replace it with an uncovered, plastic headliner with no cloth or foam on it. I hate headliners. Every car I've driven has had a problem with them. My Honda had the entire thing replaced a few months after it was bought new, and now it's coming off in the back seat area.

Same with the sun visor, it has holes in it. My dad's is missing the driver's side visor, and when I drove it to work it was kind of annoying to not have it as the sun was directly in my eyes. Luckily I always carry a pair of sunglasses when I drive...on mine, I have used them. I drive east in the early morning to work, right toward the rising sun, so I kinda want visors in my car
__________________
Harlock, 1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8L V6 base, 118K, sebring silver
Harlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:32 PM   #65
Addicted Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
 
96firephoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,580
Thanks: 56
Thanked 122 Times in 110 Posts
Send a message via AIM to 96firephoenix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlock View Post
I know now that the brake switch can be adjusted but that actually might not be the problem. The brake pedal only needs to be pressed like an inch or two down, and it'll stop the car from moving. The brakes have been bled twice (with me pumping the pedal while my dad bled the fluid), and the front brake hoses were replaced, to try and fix the issue but that didn't help it. The calipers aren't frozen or stuck because all of them were removed and inspected after I got it...

I'm not sure how the interlock solenoid could've gotten un-adjusted enough to not work whatsoever...? It can shift from park into reverse and any other position without the brake pressed. I unplugged it and plugged it back in with no change.

The headliner and foam has holes and tears in it so I can't re-use the cloth or padding. I want to replace it with an uncovered, plastic headliner with no cloth or foam on it. I hate headliners. Every car I've driven has had a problem with them. My Honda had the entire thing replaced a few months after it was bought new, and now it's coming off in the back seat area.

Same with the sun visor, it has holes in it. My dad's is missing the driver's side visor, and when I drove it to work it was kind of annoying to not have it as the sun was directly in my eyes. Luckily I always carry a pair of sunglasses when I drive...on mine, I have used them. I drive east in the early morning to work, right toward the rising sun, so I kinda want visors in my car
That sounds like the brakes are hitting too hard. That would point to a brake booster problem, possibly a broken diaphragm inside. With the car on, does the brake booster make a coughing sound when you step on the brakes? shit, given the other kludge repairs you've been correcting, I wouldn't be surprised if someone bypassed the power assist and made them manual brakes.

Interlock solenoid? It's a cable connected to the brake pedal, at least it was on the 96. I don't remember if the adjustment was on the pedal end or the shifter end though.

too bad about the headliner. I kinda agree with you on wanting the plastic/fiberglass ones though.

To each his own on the sunvisors. I've found that they don't have a good meeting point of blocking the sun and not blocking the view of the road. That's in every car, so it might be a "me" problem.
__________________

A.J.
1996 Firebird 3800 Series II, T5 swap RIP 3-31-11
It lives on: Engine and trans from ^ are now in v
1996 Firebird 3800 Series II, T5
96firephoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:16 AM   #66
Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Harlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 297
Thanks: 27
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96firephoenix View Post
That sounds like the brakes are hitting too hard. That would point to a brake booster problem, possibly a broken diaphragm inside. With the car on, does the brake booster make a coughing sound when you step on the brakes? shit, given the other kludge repairs you've been correcting, I wouldn't be surprised if someone bypassed the power assist and made them manual brakes.
Brake booster...will have to check it out. Sorry for being technically inept but we did bleed the brakes and I think my father replaced the master cylinder, would the booster have been involved during that? I pumped the pedals while dad was bleeding the fluid, so I wasn't down there to look.

Another thing, when we saw the k-member had been damaged, dad said the one brake line got pushed up a little. He said that might be part of the problem. But it is not leaking or damaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96firephoenix View Post
Interlock solenoid? It's a cable connected to the brake pedal, at least it was on the 96. I don't remember if the adjustment was on the pedal end or the shifter end though.
My service manual says it is located down in the center console near the shifter. It's a plastic piece that can be unplugged. Maybe I have the name wrong but I'm pretty sure that's what it said. I followed the diagnostic instructions to test the brake pedal and shifter, because the shifter is hard to press down (even today it still is) and found that it'll shift without the brake depressed.

Windshield is done. Cost me $235 with tax.



Harlock is getting inspected and the oil leak checked out today. I will ask about the brake booster. We are going to see about getting a Flowmaster 80 series catback exhaust done at a local exhaust shop soon. I am going to ask if they can put stock Z28 tips on the ends.
__________________
Harlock, 1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8L V6 base, 118K, sebring silver

Last edited by Harlock; Yesterday at 08:20 AM.
Harlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
83 chevy and 98 chevy cammy General Discussion 0 06-04-2013 05:05 PM
For Sale 1998 Chevy Camaro 3800 SicilianStud Vehicle Classifieds 1 12-23-2010 09:19 PM
Noisy AC Blower - 1998 Camaro jkw_rs General Camaro & Firebird Tech 1 07-18-2008 06:12 PM
Oct 2007 FBOTM - Ultra-Z's 1998 Camaro Rocket 442 FBOTM Winners 8 10-08-2007 11:30 PM
1998 Trans AM/ 1969 Camaro unknown Members Camaros and Firebirds 9 02-20-2007 03:38 PM


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:31 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright © CamaroZone.com

CamaroZone.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by General Motors or Chevrolet.