My 70 Camaro Project - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > General Discussion Forums > Members Camaros and Firebirds

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 12-29-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Garage
My 70 Camaro Project

Like the title says, I have to many F-Bodies, they just keep showing up and I can't turn them down! I need some direction, advice, ideas, thoughts on this one though. At a total stump of what to do. I am currently daily driving my 95 camaro 6 cylinder 5 speed with 190k miles on it through the winter snow storms

I bought a 94 Z28 Convertible from southern California for $3600 (to my door), and it is clean clean clean. My god like new underneath! which is very uncommon to see up in Rochester NY where a little rust is normal. Car needs nothing to run an drive. Factory red and grey/black interior combo. Originally a 6 speed, but someone put in a 700r4 with B&M shifter and shift kit and a very nicely done transmission cooler up front. I imagine they broke the 6 speed early on and said they weren't going to pay the $$$$ for a new one. This car does move good for a stock engine with bolt on mods.

So heres the dilemma, a guy can only drive 1 car at a time, and having more than 3 cars on the road is to costly. I know this is a problem many people would like to have, but I think I hit that point of WTF am I doing? Especially when I can't drive them in winter . I have a 95 Z28 T-top Auto with 63k on it that needs a fender and front dash panel and some paint. Another 95 Camaro Z28 with a great body, hardtop, lt1 has a spun bearing but a a 6 speed car, needs paint all over from fading and new seats and lots of little things like brakes/tires/wheels (bought it for a parts car to fix my car with 95 z28 with 63k miles on it.)

Here are a few pictures of the convertible. I have already changed the wheels to the 97-98 5 spoke cause those wheels are ugly and to beat up for me.

So what do I do? Change the convertible to a 6 speed? but am I going to get enough money out of it if i sell it to make the time to make the change worthwhile? I just got involved/addicted to drag racing last year, would it theoretically be a good drag car? Should/could I just sell it after the title comes back in my name and get $5000 for it? Take the money and run thing? Make this my DD?

Other factors, I make 30k a year and budget $200 a month towards the toys, My Girl friend doesn't care how many cars I own and what I drive, however she would like to drive an auto and she wants to race too... I have a mortgage/taxes. I store my vehicles in a warehouse building, only problem is we also store 40 cars for other people for winter so space is limited.

So yeah, What would you do if you were in my shoes.

Last edited by cferrel4; 12-30-2012 at 01:11 PM.
cferrel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I am currently accepting donations.
fingerprintguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerprintguy View Post
I am currently accepting donations.
Lol yeah same here
wolfeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 04:34 PM   #4
The "other" FI Bird

Garage
I have space in my garage!
I'm Also from Rochester so just drop the Convertible off whenever
Old 12-30-2012, 05:05 PM   #5

Garage
Sounds like caviar dreams on a peanut butter budget to me. $200 isn't going to be much of an "allowance" for racing. Keep your daily, cut your loses and dump the old ones, get into a 4th gen LS1 and move on.

OVRKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:32 PM   #6

Start your own dealership!
Ryan707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVRKILL View Post
Sounds like caviar dreams on a peanut butter budget to me. $200 isn't going to be much of an "allowance" for racing. Keep your daily, cut your loses and dump the old ones, get into a 4th gen LS1 and move on.
This.

Keep your favorite as a stock DD, and buy a racing beast with the money from the others sold.

Vehicle History
1995 Chevrolet Camaro Base - R.I.P. 09/02/12

1994 Chevrolet Camaro Base "The MurderBox" - SOLD 10/22/12

1994 Chevrolet Camaro 5-Speed Manual, 3.4 V6, T-Tops, - Current DD, Future Plans

(I think I have an L32 problem.)
Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Garage
Quote:
Sounds like caviar dreams on a peanut butter budget to me.
you see the price of Peanut Butter these days!?!?

CZ CotM - August 2012
GPskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPskinzhut View Post
you see the price of Peanut Butter these days!?!?

OVRKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:

I understand that $200 is not much of a budget to go on. I have though already acquired a few decent racing mods over the past few months. Just not a car I can decide on being the drag car... I would like to do a drag class for any street car, drive in and hopefully drive out.

I have some basic bolt ons, a hardened 10 bolt rear end cover, a set of 3.73 & 4.56 gears, a cat back borla adjustable exhaust system, 3" aluminum drive shaft & a pair of toyo R888 P255/50ZR16 (paid $200 for the pair).

I do have a LS1, an 02 MRM Formula M6 with 18k miles on it. Would rather NOT race it though since its so low miles.

To open my own dealership, my parents have encouraged me to get a dealers license . It costs alot in NYS and I wouldn't make enough profit and time wise to make it worth my time. Then uncle sam and the great state of NY wouldn't leave me with much else in the end anyway .

Seems the overall thought is to sell the LT1's. I won't disagree since it crossed my mind. Hard to find an LS1 for under $4000. Now is it worth the time to convert the convertible back to the 6 speed that it once originally was? Or sell the transmission assembly separate after removing it from the parts car?

Hmmm maybe race the 63k mile LT1 car in a stock class?
Old 01-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #11
Addicted Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

I think you need to get your priorities aligned before you do this. Do you like collecting cars? or just have a habit of buying them? I think you should sell these cars privately and take that money and buy a cheap DD for the winter months/all year, then keep your low mileage LS1 as a weekend car. Then buy an LS1 strictly for drag racing.

Also i think you played to many video games and dont understand much about drag racing. When i go, i never see many people talking about "class" or anything. If i was so inclined (and a lot of ppl are) i could race a honda accord against a TT corvette, if the person would accept my challenge. Unless your talking about Auto X events in which case they have a class system and i would suggest looking up the particular rules before you start a build.

At 200 a month you will never afford good quality parts, but if you sold some vehicles then you would have a bunch of cash, less car insurance, and more money.
Kawasaki Ninja500
150cc Scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarojuana View Post
oh! And some tacky mother****er with a green 05 or 06 V6 Stang on some 22's" on the corner of my block. **** that dude.
Michaelrulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Garage
The only time you'd really have to worry about class is if you were racing in NHRA or AHRA santcioned tournaments. For test and tune type drag races it doesn't matter. As long as you pass tech, you're good to go.
1995 Camaro Z28 4L60e- Current daily/project, work in progress....
PologreenZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelrulaz View Post
I think you need to get your priorities aligned before you do this. Do you like collecting cars? or just have a habit of buying them? I think you should sell these cars privately and take that money and buy a cheap DD for the winter months/all year, then keep your low mileage LS1 as a weekend car. Then buy an LS1 strictly for drag racing.

Also i think you played to many video games and dont understand much about drag racing. When i go, i never see many people talking about "class" or anything. If i was so inclined (and a lot of ppl are) i could race a honda accord against a TT corvette, if the person would accept my challenge. Unless your talking about Auto X events in which case they have a class system and i would suggest looking up the particular rules before you start a build.

At 200 a month you will never afford good quality parts, but if you sold some vehicles then you would have a bunch of cash, less car insurance, and more money.
I don't mind collecting them; however, I have been buying->fixing->selling for extra income for the past 4 years and it has gone from 1 car to now having 6... It has come from the habit of buying them since I enjoy that quite a bit. After finally going to the track for fun, I want to go forward with it and actually race. If I theoretically sold the other cars, I would have maybe $8000 to put towards a car/build.

I drive a 95 Camaro with 190k through the winter and as my DD... It has never let me down or stranded, and with 4 Nokian snow tires on it, I never have a problem getting through the snow. It has 190k miles on it, so who cares what happens to it?

I go to Empire Dragway in NY 1/4 mile & they have classes there after looking at the website... thus I have no idea? When I went to the test and tune fridays it was just go, but no real competition, so I at least got a feel for the car, the lights, etc. If I could just go race my 6 cylinder and not have to worry about anything, then why not? HAHA. Won't be as much fun though. The other 2 tracks close by are Spencer Speedway 1/10 mile & Dunn Tire Raceway Park in Lancaster which is 1/8 mile.

AutoX would be fun, but that is a totally different gig, I have a couple friends that do that in their Subaru WRXs.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Garage
8k would be a decent amount of money for a good budget build. You could stroke your engine, get some decent heads and cam, buy a strong rear end and some drag radials with that amount. And beef up your tranny.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:53 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PologreenZ28 View Post
8k would be a decent amount of money for a good budget build. You could stroke your engine, get some decent heads and cam, buy a strong rear end and some drag radials with that amount. And beef up your tranny.

That is true, I just got my property tax bill of $2303 due by February 10th. Whoopie.

I did just get offered a short block, Brand New 355 Lt1 with forged pistons and forged rods for $750, no cam. I don't know what what brand the pistons and rods are. Seems like a decent deal. I have a complete stock top end I could install on it? Probably would choke it out though and not make to much horsepower I would think.

Maybe smarter to just buy an LS1 Bird or Camaro? That's what I am thinking.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:45 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cferrel4 View Post
I did just get offered a short block, Brand New 355 Lt1 with forged pistons and forged rods for $750, no cam. I don't know what what brand the pistons and rods are. Seems like a decent deal. I have a complete stock top end I could install on it? Probably would choke it out though and not make to much horsepower I would.
If it has no cam, I would take the opportunity to put a good aftermarket cam in it, in which case you would want to refresh the top end anyways.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:59 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cferrel4 View Post

That is true, I just got my property tax bill of $2303 due by February 10th. Whoopie.

I did just get offered a short block, Brand New 355 Lt1 with forged pistons and forged rods for $750, no cam. I don't know what what brand the pistons and rods are. Seems like a decent deal. I have a complete stock top end I could install on it? Probably would choke it out though and not make to much horsepower I would think.

Maybe smarter to just buy an LS1 Bird or Camaro? That's what I am thinking.
I would go for it. 750 is alotbless than it would be to get that work done yourself. Like the above post says, you could get a nice aftermarket cam for it, they're not too expensive. And if you have a nice set of stock heads you could get them ported and polished and have some good flow. You'd put down good numbers depending on what cam you use.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #18
Token Firebird Owner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Convertibles are horrible to use for race cars due to excess weight, chassis flex, and safety regulation issues. It's not worth it to own a convertible F-body to use as a racecar. I've only met one guy that did it, and he was a moron.

My advice: sell the convertible as-is, especially if the 700R4 has stock internals and is not built.

Take the two 95s and combine them to make the hardtop car a great weekend driver. Sell the t-top car shell or part it out. Then eventually sell the nice hardtop 95 for a profit and pick up an LS1 car and start the process all over again. :P

Last edited by ZexGX; 01-10-2013 at 01:26 PM.
ZexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZexGX View Post
Convertibles are horrible to use for race cars due to excess weight, chassis flex, and safety regulation issues. It's not worth it to own a convertible F-body to use as a racecar. I've only met one guy that did it, and he was a moron.

My advice: sell the convertible as-is, especially if the 700R4 has stock internals and is not built.

Take the two 95s and combine them to make the hardtop car a great weekend driver. Sell the t-top car shell or part it out. Then eventually sell the nice hardtop 95 for a profit and pick up an LS1 car and start the process all over again. :P
I seem to be leaning towards selling the convertible. I got underneath my hardtop parts car I bought and its got rust all around the edges, floors, lines, cradle, etc. I already started to part it out and take it apart for my 63k T-Top Car. Thing was just too rusty! I know its weight reduction but...

I took some time today, called up the machine shop to get some quotes and started pricing out building an this LT1 engine with the stock upper end with porting and doing some machine work to the stock heads. Also looked into some cams from Comp Cam. Seems this is my price structure so far: Shortblock $750, 1.6 Roller Rockers $300, 2.05 Intake Valves and 1.6 exhaust valves $300, decking heads $100, enlarging for valves $100, Valve job $175, Gaskets & Misc $200, Comp Cam 07-305-8 220/230 & 510 lift $300 = $2,225. I know I left some things out too that I can't think of. So Maybe $2500 for a build for hopefully 400 horsepower?

Blue print engines does have a Chevy 383 Stroker 405 HP 440ftlbs 9.5:1 compression for $3295. A brand new 290HP 350 base is $2300, not bad for a brand new engine for a street application, wouldn't be quick in the quarter though.

I was also thinking, I could take the money from parting out the hard top, sell the T-Top and the Convertible, eliminate a few cars. Take the money and use it to put an LT1 in my 70 Camaro which has no engine/transmission in it right now and is completely stripped to be painted... It already has a performance/upgraded suspension, 12 bolt with 4:11s. I bought new interior for it, just need an excuse to work on it instead of what brings in the money. Have a bad *** LT1 in the 70 since I already would have the computer, harness, etc. to help make the swap easier. I would just need the adapter mounts, drive shaft, fuel pump, tuner and exhaust headers...

Fenders are already off it.

Just a thought, I think I have been thinking to much. To many options, to many cars to fix/work on and not enough time & money.

I think this thread is turning into which car, is going to be my street/strip/race car, build and results!
Old 01-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #20
Token Firebird Owner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Shit, you have a '70 Camaro? Sell all the other V8 Camaros and put your effort into the '70. I'd take a moderately nice '70-'73 in a heartbeat over the cleanest nicest fastest 93-97 Camaro I've ever seen. Also, why an LT1? Why not LS or BBC?
ZexGX is offline   Reply With Quote