Camaro Zone Forums banner

Pulling the engine

12K views 173 replies 26 participants last post by  AwsmGy 
#1 ·
I'm most likely pulling the engine this weekend. I'm going to be posting pictures and updates in this thread.

Much beer will be consumed.

#8 ·
Uh -oh, here goes the Disney money.:lol:
Black smoke a carb issue but the blow by could be something not nice.
What kind of carb if I might ask.

#9 ·
Eddy 750. I'm thinking the smoke is a carb or head issue. I hope to god its carb related because my heads were NOT cheap. I'm thinking about switching to a Holley.

And I'm pretty positive I have blow-by because when my car was dyno'd, it was pissing out oil everywhere from the valve covers (they were shitty stamped steel but still) and there were breathers on each side......Also my dipstick gets popped.

I'm hoping its just a ring issue and a rebuild will take care of it.

#10 ·
I'm betting that the carb is over jetted and needs smaller jets.
Blow by symptoms sure sound like like rings.
Did you hone the cylinders and replace the rings when you put the heads on?

#12 · (Edited)
The engine was a fresh build when I built it. All new parts except the block.
Makes me wonder if the rings never properly seated, or possible they sold you some undersize ones.
Did you have to file the ring ends to create the proper gap.

#14 ·
#19 ·
Good idea, might narrow it down to one or two cylinders.

#24 ·
I was there a few weeks ago =(

#26 ·
Wouldn't be able to drinik...well not legally.

#27 ·
what kind of compression are you running, not that it has anything to do with your issues, just wondering. My Neighbor has an 86 Cutlass with a 383 a 4 speed...frickin car RIPS!

How many miles do you have on the new motor?

#28 ·
Compression is somewhere around 10-10.5. I have maybe 4000 miles on the engine. I never really kept track too much.

Compression test went well. 190 psi was the average and they were all within 5 psi of eachother.

Here is a picture of the plugs just for the hell of it.

#30 ·
Just for fun. Lets come up with some (reasonable) ideas that I could do while I have this thing apart. For instance, I thought about lowering the compression and eventually throwing a supercharger on it. I'm getting rid of the Eddy carb no matter what.

Who knows, maybe I'll end up changing stuff up.

Here's what I have now.

383 stroker

10.5 compression

Lunati Cam - Duration - 276/284, Lift - .504/.525

AFR 195 Street heads 74cc

Edelbrock 750

1.5 Comp Gold rockers

Ohio Crankshaft 4340 3.75" crank

6" H-beam rods

SRP flat top pistons.

#33 ·
Just for fun. Lets come up with some (reasonable) ideas that I could do while I have this thing apart. For instance, I thought about lowering the compression and eventually throwing a supercharger on it. I'm getting rid of the Eddy carb no matter what.
Teehee

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.