94 firebird 6 speed - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > Camaro & Firebird Tech Forums > 4th Gen (1993-97) Camaro and Firebird Tech

Join Camaro Zone Today

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 11-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

94 firebird 6 speed

Thinking about swapping my t/a over from a fuel injector to carburetor having to many problems wit my firing, jus bought msd distributor wit high performance wires and edelbrock 650 four barrow carburetor and a lt1 chevy intake

Old 11-17-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
The "Senior" Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Garage
Since it's against federal law, and will cause lousy fuel mileage, why not just figure out the issue.
Your fuel injection isn't causing a misfire issue.

96 T/A, Black/Graphite Leather, T-Tops, 6 speed, 10 speaker Delco/Bose "Monsoon"
Original owner, 191k miles and counting.
Total engine rebuild at 187,020 miles.
AIR delete. Bored .030 over.
Comp cams Xtreme Energy LT1 266HR-14 street cam and springs..
NavyVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
CZ's Turbo Gawd

Garage
It would be cheaper to fix your ignition than so a carb swap.

-1994 Trans Am Gt: caged, CC503, Garrett GT45, 6Lbs, 3.73
-2011 Camaro SS convertible: SOLD
94 T/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Garage
This is like saying "A lightbulb burned out in my house. So I'm going to rip out everything electrical and replaced them a candle."

Last edited by redbird98; 11-17-2013 at 04:26 PM.
redbird98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redbird98 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #5

I spent 750 dollars on electrical parts and car still not firing i refuse to spend more on electrical part, why not turn it into carb and be done and wont have to worry about all problems i bought computer opti spark and icm's and coil wires and sensor's and and put it on machine and was still spending, i jus think it jus a electriacal problem wit the car, at least ill get more horses and and wont ever have to worry about that again, its jus my play toy so ion really care about fuel mileage, think stroker her to 383

I dont see it against the law to change over from a fuel injector to a carb, and they sell lt1 carb intakes in stores

Last edited by Mr. Luos; 11-17-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Mario1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #6
Addicted Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario1983 View Post
I dont see it against the law to change over from a fuel injector to a carb, and they sell lt1 carb intakes in stores
for people who put lt1's in older vehicles

1999 Firebird Build Thread
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #7
CZ's Turbo Gawd

Garage
You won't make more power with a carb, it sounds like you just threw money at the car. What is the original issue? No start? Or runs like shit? I'm guessing you used a cheap parts store brand opti, I've gone down that road and had brand new optis that were bad.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:44 PM   #8

Never used cheap parts i have all msd parts i even swapped every i put on there new 3 times and nothin solve, like i said earlier i think its electrical problem, sumtime car would run for 3 days wit no problems then most of times car will fire right up and run for 5 mins shuts off and wont start for another 5 or 6 hrs, and ik you get better fuel miles wit fuel injectors but your carb is better for more power, i've seen it done alot

Coil only put out fire when it engine is cold but soon as engine warms up coil stop firing

Last edited by Mr. Luos; 11-17-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Mario1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #9
The "Senior" Member

Garage
Quote:
Can you say Federal emissions standards?

Quote:
Coil only put out fire when it engine is cold but soon as engine warms up coil stop firing
That's not an issue with the fuel injection.
Take it to a dealer and have them scan it with a tech two scanner.
It will tell you exactly what is wrong.

Could be something as simple as a bad PCM temp sensor or a sensor wiring issue.
Do the fans turn on before it shuts down?

96 T/A, Black/Graphite Leather, T-Tops, 6 speed, 10 speaker Delco/Bose "Monsoon"

Last edited by NavyVet; 11-17-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #10

i know its not a problem with fuel system im changin it becuz im havin problem wit the fire, i jus said im havin firing problem, who want too keep spend money on taking it to a tech when they dont kno the problem i already did that, thats im switching over to avoid all of that electrical stuff, and half of my fuse box gettin fire and the other half is not gettin any fire, i alread kno im have a electrical problem, if i change over i dont have worry about of that computer issue, will only be using computer for gauges..
Old 11-17-2013, 10:32 PM   #11
CZ Supporter

Garage
Quote:
i know its not a problem with fuel system im changin it becuz im havin problem wit the fire, i jus said im havin firing problem, who want too keep spend money on taking it to a tech when they dont kno the problem i already did that, thats im switching over to avoid all of that electrical stuff, and half of my fuse box gettin fire and the other half is not gettin any fire, i alread kno im have a electrical problem, if i change over i dont have worry about of that computer issue, will only be using computer for gauges..
that doesn't change the fact that it's still illegal like everyone above you has said. The gov't has federal emission standards which prevent you from carbing your car, it's as simple as that. You aren't allowed to! Also, just like 94 said, there are pre made carb intakes for LT1's for people who put them in originally carb'd cars. NOT a car that came fuel injected. Start by following what Navyvet said and go to a dealer and have them use a tech 2 scanner. Come back with the results and let us know, and maybe we can go from there
August 2013 Car Of The Month
1997 30th anniversary BBM Camaro Z28/SS
LT1, T-56 6 speed
LS1 front end swap

*Daily Driven*

http://www.camarozone.com/forum/f14/...thread-185395/
Ryanhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:36 PM   #12

I dont know what i just read. but that was completely stupid. a misfire is 99% of the time either a misplaced wire, bad plug or a bad cap. no need for a complete swap to carb. that made no sense. antiflame suit engaged.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:38 PM   #13
Addicted Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanhardy View Post
that doesn't change the fact that it's still illegal like everyone above you has said. The gov't has federal emission standards which prevent you from carbing your car, it's as simple as that. You aren't allowed to! Also, just like 94 said, there are pre made carb intakes for LT1's for people who put them in originally carb'd cars. NOT a car that came fuel injected. Start by following what Navyvet said and go to a dealer and have them use a tech 2 scanner. Come back with the results and let us know, and maybe we can go from there
the other Ryan said that

1999 Firebird Build Thread
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Meatwad For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2013, 10:45 PM   #14
CZ Staff
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

If you can't figure out an electrical issue, you won't be able to figure out an engine swap.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:46 PM   #15

Quote:
I spent 750 dollars on electrical parts and car still not firing i refuse to spend more on electrical part, why not turn it into carb and be done and wont have to worry about all problems i bought computer opti spark and icm's and coil wires and sensor's and and put it on machine and was still spending, i jus think it jus a electriacal problem wit the car, at least ill get more horses and and wont ever have to worry about that again, its jus my play toy so ion really care about fuel mileage, think stroker her to 383

WHAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwsmGy View Post
If you can't figure out an electrical issue, you won't be able to figure out an engine swap.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird98 View Post
This is like saying "A lightbulb burned out in my house. So I'm going to rip out everything electrical and replaced them a candle."
This xD This was 100% perfection in the making!
Old 11-17-2013, 11:04 PM   #16
The "Senior" Member

Garage
Quote:

Getting pretty deep I think.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:31 PM   #17
CZ's Turbo Gawd

Garage
Quote:
Right, If the PCM isn't running the motor its not going to run the gauges.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:32 PM   #18

Garage
I had someone bring in a lt1 caprice for something similar to this. Found a blown injector circuit fuse and some frayed wiring by the opti-spark.... Some diagnostic time will greatly help, more than likely something simple that was over looked in all the parts throwing at it.