Camaro Zone Forums banner

94 z28 LT1 ignition problem???

3K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  NavyVet 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a problem with my 94 z28. It just started recently but has came to the point where it isn't drivable. The car will start in the morning after sitting all night every time then will run untill it warms up (10-20 min) and die at idle or when I stop then it will not fire back up for hours! The spark just goes away so we know it's electrical and I know it's heat related. when it does start in the morning, it sounds awesome do to the tune up I just had done.

I have replaced...

-spark plugs
-wires
-Fuel pump
-Fuel filter
-Fuel lines
-alternator
-computer (untill I realized it wasn't my problem and then just swapped the old one back in)
-brand new battery
-ICM
-ignition coil
-TPS

My mechanic has thourally went through, cleaned gas tank, and checked all the grounds and wires under the hood. When the car is sitting it does not push any codes but after the stalling occurs it is saying ignition. PLEASE HELP ANY INPUT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

See less See more
#3 ·
Sounds like the optispark ( AKA distributor ) is bad

#4 ·
I'I'm not positive what # code it is my mechanic just said an ignition code. Also there is a power drain coming from who knows where? He thinks our next step is to remoove the dash and replace the harness and check the grounds under dash

#5 ·
Don't remove the dash. The issue you are having is more than likely the opti going out. Change that before tearing apart the dash. By the way... nice username.

Sent from my Z796C using Camaro Zone mobile app

#10 ·
Retained accessory power module will cause a power drain.
Had a member with that issue not too long ago.

Way to find a power drain is with a voltmeter / multimeter hooked between the battery and the positive cable and then start pulling and replacing fuses one by one until the drain stops

#8 ·
Not sure on the power drain but it will do the cutting off part.

#13 ·
Yes it will. My 94 z28 would be driving fine and cut off. If I let it wait between 5 minutes and an hour and a half it would fire up and drive fine again. After the opti she ran great all the time.

Reactions: 94z28.
#11 ·
Ok. I know my rap module is bad I had unplugged it and plugged a wire into the blue to Brown (slot 2 and 4 I believe) on the harness so my Windows would go up and down. But it still drains power when I plug the old RAP back in. do you think when I get a new one that my power drain might go away?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Camaro Zone mobile app

#14 ·
Reactions: 94z28.
#18 ·
I have a problem with my 94 z28. It just started recently but has came to the point where it isn't drivable. The car will start in the morning after sitting all night every time then will run untill it warms up (10-20 min) and die at idle or when I stop then it will not fire back up for hours! The spark just goes away so we know it's electrical and I know it's heat related. when it does start in the morning, it sounds awesome do to the tune up I just had done.

I have replaced...

-spark plugs
-wires
-Fuel pump
-Fuel filter
-Fuel lines
-alternator
-computer (untill I realized it wasn't my problem and then just swapped the old one back in)
-brand new battery
-ICM
-ignition coil
-TPS

My mechanic has thourally went through, cleaned gas tank, and checked all the grounds and wires under the hood. When the car is sitting it does not push any codes but after the stalling occurs it is saying ignition. PLEASE HELP ANY INPUT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED
I have not read the whole thread so if you fixed the issue, scratch this. However, my 95 z28 has an ignition problem also, and its electrical. it's not that big of a deal to me which is why I have not gotten it fixed, but I never would have known how to start it if I didn't but it from someone who did. Behind the bottom of your steering wheel you will feel the steering column. It's a round piece of plastic that may wiggle if you grab it and twist. Use your left hand, put your thumb on the left side of the column, your palm wrapped around the bottom of the column, and your fingers pinching the right side, squeeze and twist the column Counter Clockwise ( twist thumb towards floor ) hold that as far as it will go while still squeezing, and try to turn the key. This is how I must start my car every time, and after you do it once or twice it's an easy pinch and twist. If you have not found the problem yet, I hope this fixes it. good luck

#20 ·
I have not read the whole thread so if you fixed the issue, scratch this. However, my 95 z28 has an ignition problem also, and its electrical. it's not that big of a deal to me which is why I have not gotten it fixed, but I never would have known how to start it if I didn't but it from someone who did. Behind the bottom of your steering wheel you will feel the steering column. It's a round piece of plastic that may wiggle if you grab it and twist. Use your left hand, put your thumb on the left side of the column, your palm wrapped around the bottom of the column, and your fingers pinching the right side, squeeze and twist the column Counter Clockwise ( twist thumb towards floor ) hold that as far as it will go while still squeezing, and try to turn the key. This is how I must start my car every time, and after you do it once or twice it's an easy pinch and twist. If you have not found the problem yet, I hope this fixes it. good luck
Why don't you just replace the switch?

#21 ·
Hey guys new to the site, I have a 95 z28 with code 43 I also had a code for the knock sensor which I already fixed but the code 43 for the ignition control grounded circuit keeps coming up where should I start with this code? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks,
Craig

Sent from my iPhone using Camaro Zone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.