ABS Bypass/delete - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > Camaro & Firebird Tech Forums > 4th Gen (1993-97) Camaro and Firebird Tech

Join Camaro Zone Today

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 06-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

ABS Bypass/delete

Hey guys,

I am trying to temporarily bypass/delete my ABS. The reason is i need to bleed the ABS module to have brakes and that takes a GM tech 2 tool. But i dont want to pay 200 dollars when i am not sure if my engine swap set up is good. I would hate to pay than have to make some adjustments or have to drop the engine again.

I know they make kits for this SJM Manufacturing, Inc. (724) 478-5580 Delete Kits

But i dont know if my car has traction control (i think it does because it has the dash light)

and i dont think it should cost 100 dollars to do it. it seems like i could get the parts for about 20 dollars at ace or lowes. I just need it to work while i tweak the car and get it running right

Kawasaki Ninja500
150cc Scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarojuana View Post
oh! And some tacky mother****er with a green 05 or 06 V6 Stang on some 22's" on the corner of my block. **** that dude.
Michaelrulaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Why cant you just take the abs fuse out? Or do you want the lines to be bypassed from the module?

Towing is one fun job
95formyLt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I need the lines bypassed from the module because the module cant be bled, and there is air in the lines
Kawasaki Ninja500
150cc Scooter

Quote:
oh! And some tacky mother****er with a green 05 or 06 V6 Stang on some 22's" on the corner of my block. **** that dude.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
LS Swap It Brah!
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Garage
Then just cut and splice the lines with flare fitting unions. You are def over complicating this. Go to Autozone and get their flare tool for brake lines. It works great. If you need to, get some more 3/16" brake line to route it how you want it.

Union

Flare Fittings (Depends on the type of fittings and union you get will determine how you flare it)

I had to cut my lines and this is what I did.

Cammed 96 LS1/T56
07 Yamaha R1
96 LS1 Swap Write Up
COM March 2013

Last edited by AmorPatriae; 06-30-2012 at 04:00 PM.
AmorPatriae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Garage
It's easy. Bleed breaks like you would normally. Take for a drive and slam on breaks a few times to cycle abs. Then bleed like normal again. Ta da
Old 07-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I would try that but I have no brakes at all so I can't stop the car and I don't have any open areas around me
Kawasaki Ninja500
150cc Scooter

Quote:
Old 07-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammy
It's easy. Bleed breaks like you would normally. Take for a drive and slam on breaks a few times to cycle abs. Then bleed like normal again. Ta da
Yeah basically how I bleed mine, you can bleed it without the fancy tech2 tool, bleed the whole system normally, get up to about 20-25 then stand on the breaks, do that 3-4 times, bleed a little more, then if needed DO IT AGAIN lol, takes about 30 min to do it
Old 07-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelrulaz
I would try that but I have no brakes at all so I can't stop the car and I don't have any open areas around me
If you have no brakes at all then you have more of an issue than just bleeding the abs

Towing is one fun job
Old 07-01-2012, 09:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Literally my brakes, after bleeding them numerous times, are only strong enough to hold my car in place on the slight hill of my driveway.

I didnt get a little air in my ABS from changing my brakes, I swapped in a whole new ABS module when i swapped engines... Hence why this ghetto method will not work...
Kawasaki Ninja500
150cc Scooter

Quote:
Old 07-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Quote:
Literally my brakes, after bleeding them numerous times, are only strong enough to hold my car in place on the slight hill of my driveway.

I didnt get a little air in my ABS from changing my brakes, I swapped in a whole new ABS module when i swapped engines... Hence why this ghetto method will not work...
Ghetto? I call it "if you don't want to/can't pay for a unnecessary bleeder then use this >option " nothing ghetto about it. If your not even gonna try it go get a 60$ vacuum bleeder and stop bitchin imo
Old 07-01-2012, 11:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Garage
This method has saved me money as well as other on this and various forums. You ask questions, we give answers. If you want to bleed most the air out of all your breaks, get the car on stands and remove all the wheels. Open all 4 bleeder valves on the calipers. Just let gravity do its thing. Just don't run out of fluid. Watch all 4 burp them selfs. Close all 4 bleeders and bleed like normal.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:43 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_el-camino_guy-79 View Post
Ghetto? I call it "if you don't want to/can't pay for a unnecessary bleeder then use this >option " nothing ghetto about it. If your not even gonna try it go get a 60$ vacuum bleeder and stop bitchin imo
Lol im just saying its a ghetto way to do it, but i used a mity vac and nothing. This isnt my first time bleeding brakes. I am not trying to completely cheap out, i just need to check to make sure i did everything right on my engine swap. id hate to pay 200 for a 30 minute brake bleeding then find something is wrong and have to repay all that. I dont mind trying it but the neighborhood i live in is a horrible place and i dont know anywhere else i could get the car to 25-30mph and then have enough room to downshift it to slow down then let it roll till it stops all while being SAFE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammy View Post
This method has saved me money as well as other on this and various forums. You ask questions, we give answers. If you want to bleed most the air out of all your breaks, get the car on stands and remove all the wheels. Open all 4 bleeder valves on the calipers. Just let gravity do its thing. Just don't run out of fluid. Watch all 4 burp them selfs. Close all 4 bleeders and bleed like normal.
I tried this too, its just that ABS module, its filled with air.

When i have the car off, i bleed all the brakes ( tried both methods, farthest to closest, and open all four.) The brake pedal becomes hard to push, but it doesnt move the calipers or drums. Then i start the car and the pedal becomes spongy.
Kawasaki Ninja500
150cc Scooter

Quote:
Old 07-02-2012, 12:49 AM   #13
Addicted Member

Garage
You know, if it's cheap brake fluid, it can be hard to bleed. My neighbor was telling me how he used some cheap brake fluid, and could not figure out how to bleed it. Then he put in some good brake fluid and it worked right away.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:52 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I've seen other scanners that can do abs, cant think off hand what ones but there are others than can bleed the abs. I think the snap on modis can do it with the abs attachment and also the mac mentor can do it. Maybe others as well...

Sent from my PHOTON using CamaroZone
Old 07-02-2012, 01:24 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Garage
Does ur abs modual have bleeders on It?
Old 07-02-2012, 02:43 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Quote:

Lol im just saying its a ghetto way to do it, but i used a mity vac and nothing. This isnt my first time bleeding brakes. I am not trying to completely cheap out, i just need to check to make sure i did everything right on my engine swap. id hate to pay 200 for a 30 minute brake bleeding then find something is wrong and have to repay all that. I dont mind trying it but the neighborhood i live in is a horrible place and i dont know anywhere else i could get the car to 25-30mph and then have enough room to downshift it to slow down then let it roll till it stops all while being SAFE.

I tried this too, its just that ABS module, its filled with air.

When i have the car off, i bleed all the brakes ( tried both methods, farthest to closest, and open all four.) The brake pedal becomes hard to push, but it doesnt move the calipers or drums. Then i start the car and the pedal becomes spongy.
Then something else is wrong
Maybe The booster or master cylinder is bad or there is a vacuum leak
Make sure the check valve is good and that the hose isn't collapsing on itself

Last edited by That_el-camino_guy-79; 07-02-2012 at 02:45 AM.
That_el-camino_guy-79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammy View Post
Does ur abs modual have bleeders on It?
It has two bleeder valves on it, but you need the tool to cycle the module. From what i understand the only way to push the air trapped inside the ABS is with the scan tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_el-camino_guy-79 View Post
Then something else is wrong
Maybe The booster or master cylinder is bad or there is a vacuum leak
Make sure the check valve is good and that the hose isn't collapsing on itself
I thought about that, but i tried both master cylinders and brake boosters from both cars (which both worked fine). what is the check valve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRoddCamaro View Post
You know, if it's cheap brake fluid, it can be hard to bleed. My neighbor was telling me how he used some cheap brake fluid, and could not figure out how to bleed it. Then he put in some good brake fluid and it worked right away.
well the fluid i used was bleeding very easily from the calipers and drums, and i seemed to have all the air out of those lines. Its just the air in the abs.
Kawasaki Ninja500
150cc Scooter

Quote:
Old 07-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #18
Token Firebird Owner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

You don't need a Tech-II to bleed brakes even if there is air trapped inside of the ABS module. If there is, you don't need a Tech-II to clear it either. Just make the car trigger an ABS event (go for a quick drive and slam on the brakes when safe) then bleed again. If there is still air in the module, repeat.

I've got my D1SC in a box.
ZexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Is there any way that the OP can manually trigger the ABS module with either voltage or a paper clip trick or something?

Towing is one fun job
Old 07-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelrulaz View Post
I thought about that, but i tried both master cylinders and brake boosters from both cars (which both worked fine). what is the check valve?
Its a plastic elbow in between the intake and booster, its either bad or on backwards most likely

(Its on the rubber vacuum hose)

Wow I did not mean to quote myself hahahaha sorry

Last edited by Superman; 07-04-2012 at 06:08 PM. Reason: posts merged...
That_el-camino_guy-79 is offline   Reply With Quote