Camaro Zone Forums banner

camaro died

3K views 45 replies 8 participants last post by  94bonestock 
#1 ·
well my camaro died today in the middle of the street, i at first thought it was a gas issue so i went and got some gas and that was not it, i am out of anwsers for it. any help would be appeciated. It will not turn back on no matter how many times i try. can anyone give me a direction to look for? the car was running perfectly fine the other day.:dunno:

#10 ·
Shoot an ounce of gas down into the intake (remove the snorkel, open the butterflies, and put a little gas in there)...better if you have ether (starting fluid), but most people do not...let it sit a few seconds to get the vapors mixing in the intake...try and start...

If it tries to start you have a fuel delivery issue, if not, you are possibly looking at a spark/ignition issue...

If it died in the middle of the street, it probably is spark/ignition/electric related, but this simple test should verify...

#18 ·
I've replaced several optis the first time it took close to 5 hours to change, the last one I changed took two hours to change. As mentioned the water pump has to be removed and it's recommended that it gets replaced also, the crank pulley has to come off also. I've changed them with the fans in but space is much tighter with the fans in.

Reactions: 94bonestock
#19 ·
From what I've seen they charge over a grand in labor to switch out the opti. You would be better off doing it yourself with a little research. They can cost from $200 to a little under $500 for a msd one which I bought. It's a good choice because they are known to go out and with the msd you could just buy the cap and rotor the next go around for about $200 if it does happen to go out down the road...

Sent from my iPhone using Camaro Zone

#20 ·
From what I've seen they charge over a grand in labor to switch out the opti. You would be better off doing it yourself with a little research. They can cost from $200 to a little under $500 for a msd one which I bought. It's a good choice because they are known to go out and with the msd you could just buy the cap and rotor the next go around for about $200 if it does happen to go out down the road...

Just because you buy a MSD doesn't mean a cap and rotor will fix it if it messes up later. It's very very rare that a cap and rotor will fix an issue with an opti. 98% of the time it's the optical pickup that gets messed up which requires replacing the entire opti.

#21 ·
Roll up your sleeves and get after it! Plenty of help here if you need it. Thats how mine was done from the driveway, because of all these guys/gals willing to help if i got stumped! I actually wrote a step by step list when i did it just to make sure i didnt forget anything when putting it back together. I will gladly share it if you dont have a book. Although you should get one anyway.

#22 ·
Roll up your sleeves and get after it! Plenty of help here if you need it. Thats how mine was done from the driveway, because of all these guys/gals willing to help if i got stumped! I actually wrote a step by step list when i did it just to make sure i didnt forget anything when putting it back together. I will gladly share it if you dont have a book. Although you should get one anyway.

yes if u can please share it i would appreciate that.

#29 ·
That is part of the opti, if the new one doesn't have it, it is the wrong opti.

#37 ·
Maybe when the previous owner modded the car he switched to this style. I think cam, cam gear, timing cover upgrades could be the cause of confusion? Hopefully somebody with more experience could chime in on this theory, but i know its possible to use the clover style on a 94 if these things were changed/upgraded.

#40 ·
When he removed his opti, it was the "clover" style on the back, and he has replaced it with the other style that from what i understand should be the type for a 94 with just the spindle. The previous owner had told him the cam was "upgraded" so i could understand having the newer style on there if the timing cover is not the original also. My question is if its possible to go back to the style he installed? Or would it have to be the "clover" style. Neither of which are vented btw according to the op. ??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.