Crankshaft seal - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > Camaro & Firebird Tech Forums > 4th Gen (1993-97) Camaro and Firebird Tech

Join Camaro Zone Today

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 09-29-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Crankshaft seal

Paid around 800.00 for crankshaft seal,water pump,tranny mount.2 days later the crankshaft seal failed what the heck could cause this?Bringing it back to shop Monday morning missing a days pay!This sucks so bad

Old 09-29-2013, 10:03 PM   #2
The "Senior" Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Garage
Which crankshaft seal did they say was replaced?

96 T/A, Black/Graphite Leather, T-Tops, 6 speed, 10 speaker Delco/Bose "Monsoon"
Original owner, 190k miles and counting.
Total engine rebuild at 187,020 miles.
AIR delete. Bored .030 over.
Comp cams Xtreme Energy LT1 266HR-14 street cam and springs..
NavyVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyVet View Post
Which crankshaft seal did they say was replaced?
The front seal it said on the order
Old 09-29-2013, 11:20 PM   #4
Addicted Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesp413 View Post
which one now is failed?

1999 Firebird Build Thread

Last edited by Meatwad; 09-29-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:22 PM   #5

Quote:

The work order states replaced front crankshaft seal.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
which one now is failed?
The front is failed the one they said the replaced.its leaking right behind the crank pulley just like it was before I sent it in
Old 09-29-2013, 11:50 PM   #7
Addicted Member

Garage
Quote:
The front is failed the one they said the replaced.its leaking right behind the crank pulley just like it was before I sent it in
did you get some type of warranty from the people? I'd bring it back with the receipt at least to show it was only two days and it failed again. 2 days is obviously too short.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
did you get some type of warranty from the people? I'd bring it back with the receipt at least to show it was only two days and it failed again. 2 days is obviously too short.
Yeah I hear that what the hell.my low oil light came on thank god.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:07 AM   #9

Quote:

Yeah I hear that what the hell.my low oil light came on thank god.
Has anyone ever had a brand new front crankshaft seal go bad in like a day & a half?Ok man I hear ya just have a weakness for this computer stuff.

Last edited by jamesp413; 09-30-2013 at 07:17 AM.
jamesp413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:16 AM   #10
Addicted Member

Garage
Quote:
Has anyone ever had a brand new front crankshaft seal go bad in like a day & a half?
Hey man just a heads up, edit your previous post instead of quoting it and making a new post. It prevents double posting.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #11
CZ's Turbo Gawd
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Garage
Quote:
Has anyone ever had a brand new front crankshaft seal go bad in like a day & a half?Ok man I hear ya just have a weakness for this computer stuff.
Nope but really the only way one would fail so quick is if it was installed wrong or just a faulty part. Take it back and have them fixit right.

-1994 Trans Am Gt: caged, CC503, Garrett GT45, 6Lbs, 3.73
-2011 Camaro SS convertible: SOLD
94 T/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 T/A View Post

Nope but really the only way one would fail so quick is if it was installed wrong or just a faulty part. Take it back and have them fixit right.
The shop said to me when I dropped it off that my crankshaft could be messed up.I thought if thats the case them it would be knocking right?
Old 10-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #13

Odds are your crank shaft is fine. Either the seal itself didn't get pressed into the timing cover correctly, the harmonic balancer hub was pressed in at an angle and eventually straightened out once they started pressing it in using the hub bolt, or the shop didnt buff the hub with a wire wheel and a burr or rust snagged the seal and broke it. One other thing that may be the problem could have been that the previous seal wore grooves into the Hub and the new seal isn't able to mate with the hub to make the seal do its job. Two days of service is too short of time for an unbalanced or warped crank to destroy a seal. If your crankshaft was that out of whack to do that, the engine would be vibrating bad enough for you to not want to drive the vehicle and you would generally be throwing your serpentine belt because the harmonic balancer pulley would be wobbling like no other. The pulley and the hub separate on these harmonic balancers, so I would demand they stand behind their work and replace the failed seal, but I would have a new hub installed as well. Those hubs need to be gently tapped in with a dead blow hammer or rubber Mallet to get them started on the crankshaft and then driven on the res of the way with the hub bolt itself. Because the bolt can thread into the crank before the hub actually starts mating up with the crank, the hub can start off going onto the crank at an angle and resulting in damaging the seal. They could also be mistaking your crank seal leaking to be your distributor driveshaft oil seal or even your water pump driveshaft oil seal. They are all one on too of the next and the water pump and distributor oil seal are pretty impossible to get a good look at with the engine completely together. Personally I think the hub or the seal itself wasn't installed properly.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegeye1000 View Post
Odds are your crank shaft is fine. Either the seal itself didn't get pressed into the timing cover correctly, the harmonic balancer hub was pressed in at an angle and eventually straightened out once they started pressing it in using the hub bolt, or the shop didnt buff the hub with a wire wheel and a burr or rust snagged the seal and broke it. One other thing that may be the problem could have been that the previous seal wore grooves into the Hub and the new seal isn't able to mate with the hub to make the seal do its job. Two days of service is too short of time for an unbalanced or warped crank to destroy a seal. If your crankshaft was that out of whack to do that, the engine would be vibrating bad enough for you to not want to drive the vehicle and you would generally be throwing your serpentine belt because the harmonic balancer pulley would be wobbling like no other. The pulley and the hub separate on these harmonic balancers, so I would demand they stand behind their work and replace the failed seal, but I would have a new hub installed as well. Those hubs need to be gently tapped in with a dead blow hammer or rubber Mallet to get them started on the crankshaft and then driven on the res of the way with the hub bolt itself. Because the bolt can thread into the crank before the hub actually starts mating up with the crank, the hub can start off going onto the crank at an angle and resulting in damaging the seal. They could also be mistaking your crank seal leaking to be your distributor driveshaft oil seal or even your water pump driveshaft oil seal. They are all one on too of the next and the water pump and distributor oil seal are pretty impossible to get a good look at with the engine completely together. Personally I think the hub or the seal itself wasn't installed properly.
Wow I'm so thankful honestly for your time and knowledge!my son Picked up the car today and the shop said they replaced the seal and cleaned it off.when I got back home from work it looked like nothing was ever touched and still leaking.they told me it was probably something behind the timing cover that was leaking real slow.I don't know I'm just so angry and frustrated now.they would look behind the timing cover for another $500.00. What the hell it just seems wrong to me like I got so screwed.same area where the leak was is still there today.but they now claim it's another problem?Just wanna snap just so mentally draining
Old 10-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #15

Sounds like the run around to me. Since there isnt anything behind the timing cover to leak especially. Unfortunately, you're not the first to get Swindled by an inexperienced repair shop. They don't want to stand behind their work and want to charge you to redo the same job is what they're trying to do. If they are a chain repair shop, you could always call the chains corporate office and lodge a complaint. The other option would be to get a second opinion or even have another shop repair their repair and go back demanding they refund your money. There's three shaft seals on the front of that timing cover like I said previously. The timing cover gasket itself is the only other oil seal on the front of that engine that keeps oil in.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #16
Token Firebird Owner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

If you have a crankcase air over-pressure situation, it can also cause the crankshaft seal to leak, along with valve cover seals if they are old. An over-pressure situation can happen at high RPM if the engines PCV system is clogged/blocked.

I've got my D1SC in a box.
ZexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZexGX View Post
If you have a crankcase air over-pressure situation, it can also cause the crankshaft seal to leak, along with valve cover seals if they are old. An over-pressure situation can happen at high RPM if the engines PCV system is clogged/blocked.
The valve covers are dry as a bone.the only place that's leaking is behind the crank pulley and harmonic balancer.I'm just going to let it sit there and when I have the money to buy a used engine.then I will rebuild it and just put it in with a highly trusted friend which of whom I know holds a high level of integrity!Thats so rare now in society!So f"&%#€#} sad.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegeye1000 View Post
Sounds like the run around to me. Since there isnt anything behind the timing cover to leak especially. Unfortunately, you're not the first to get Swindled by an inexperienced repair shop. They don't want to stand behind their work and want to charge you to redo the same job is what they're trying to do. If they are a chain repair shop, you could always call the chains corporate office and lodge a complaint. The other option would be to get a second opinion or even have another shop repair their repair and go back demanding they refund your money. There's three shaft seals on the front of that timing cover like I said previously. The timing cover gasket itself is the only other oil seal on the front of that engine that keeps oil in.
That's the way I felt Tegeye.just giving me a load of you know what!Well I just don't want to lose my liberties and freedom over these scum bags!Like I said all other gaskets are dry as a bone.I always do my own work and if ever I have questions I do have a small circle of friends of whom which hold a high level of integrity that are glad to help.But they have honest jobs like myself.So I turned to you guys and grateful For that as well!Just kind of want to wait for some extra cash buy a used 207 and redo it then throw it in.wish I had some kind of reference on the driveshaft.Thats my only problem.don't want to order the wrong straight solid driveshaft to replace this sorry design of a split shaft..... Thank you Tegeye again for your honesty
Old 10-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Paid around 800.00 for crankshaft seal,water pump,tranny mount.2 days later the crankshaft seal failed what the heck could cause this?Bringing it back to shop Monday morning missing a days pay!This sucks so bad
What could be leaking oil behind the timing cover on a 207 3.4?
Old 10-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #20

Quote:

What could be leaking oil behind the timing cover on a 207 3.4?
Not that it's leaking there but that shop insists that its leaking.I used engine cleaner on the whole front of engine and oil is only coming from behind the crank pulley!