Camaro Zone Forums banner

Estimated horse power?

2K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  94z28 
#1 ·
First let me say, I apologize if this thread is posted in the wrong section of the forum, I was unsure.

I'm curious, since everyone on here knows 100x more than me on camaro's, I want everyone and anyone to share their opinion. My friend and I have had an on going disagreement about my car, I have a 1995 camaro with a 5.7L lt1 motor swap, I have the 460le 4 speed automatic transmission, and the 12 bolt rear end (or maybe the 10 bolt, which ever isn't the better one in an upgrade sense, which I think is the 12?) and all I have done to the car is upgrade the tranny mount, and motor mounts, and when I bought the car it had a moroso CAI, and flow master exhaust, and I believe a performance torque arm. I bought the car for $3500 over a year ago and when I bought it I think there were mods listed but I can't be sure or verify so I tell everyone it is bone stock, as far as I know it runs on all stock v6 components, except the absolute necessities for the v8 to work of course, and I have taken it to my local track and the fastest time I got was 13.584 in the quarter mile on basic tires, I know stock z28 from factory run 14 flat with a professional driver, however I don't know if that's track or street. Since I tell people it's stock it has 275hp/325ft lb torque. However my friend is very set on the fact that it has about 400+hp. I went to a local car meet recently and a "mechanic at Nissan" said at 13.5 quarter, you're probably running 400-450 (i assumed he meant to the crank) and since some of the brightest guys on camaros are on this forum I felt I could use your help and pick your brains a little. I don't know much on these cars yet and wanted some unofficially professional opinions.

Thanks in advance for everyone's input!!

1995 LT1 swap

See less See more
#2 ·
I would think you have a 10 bolt since that is the weaker rear end and very common in 4th gens since they came with them. I have read of stock lt1 camaros/birds running high 13s some claim a little lower. I don't think you're making that much power. Maybe a little more then stock. You would probably need a decent cam, some head work and a tune to make that much power. That's my take on it lol

Sent from my LGLS740 using Camaro Zone mobile app

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
"Professional" drivers test 1/4 mile times at a track, not the street.
Here's a reference: "professional" drivers have done low 13's with the '01-'02 SS (LS1) Camaro in stock form. Rated hp for the 01-02 SS was 325 at the crank, actual might be around 350.
If it has the factory rear-end, it's a 10 bolt.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Camaro Zone

#4 ·
You're probably at the 320-345 HP range if I had to guess.

Sent from my Z796C using Camaro Zone mobile app

#6 · (Edited)
I'd say with those mods... You are probably making about 285-295 wheel horsepower at most. Probably less.

It's a literally old LT1 with a cold air intake and Flowmaster catback. It has an automatic trans and a 12 bolt, both of which have a noticeable level of driveline loss.

No way in hell it's making 400 horsepower crank or wheel if it's running 13.5's at the track and the only mods are 12 bolt, cold air intake, and Flowmaster catback.

#7 ·
I'm glad you all share my opinion haha. Yes it is the weaker of the two, so the 10 bolt. And it has 3.42 gears. I figured I was pretty close to stock. Maybe slightly over and I thought maybe with drivetrain loss and stock v6 everything, including suspension I'm sure maybe there a chance I have a bit more but I found it truly hard to believe I was 400+ hp range.

1995 LT1 swap

#12 ·
That's what I thought. Maybe it doesn't because of the v6 suspension and all that? I doubt it has that serious of an effect. But I'm not car guru
V6 suspension works just fine, although if your suspension is worn out it's necessary to replace it.

#11 ·
You are probably 325 at the crank. Do you have the rear end from the v6 in the car now?

#14 ·
So you most likely don't have posi?

#16 ·
Where are dyno $40-$50? The ones I saw were way more but they may have been doing a dyno tune. Also how do I go about finding a dyno shop around me?

#18 ·
Google
Speed shops that have dynos often have group days where they offer 3 pulls on a dyno for about $40, or sometimes free depending on how bad they want customers. Call around and ask what they charge and if they have any group dyno days scheduled.

#19 ·
No, I don't have posi. And I've looked for dynos, but they're all wicked expensive around me (sarasota Florida) and if there are any dynos at the tracks it's very rare for them to actually show up. At my local track it's a trailer dyno.

1995 LT1 swap

#21 ·
No, I don't have posi. And I've looked for dynos, but they're all wicked expensive around me (sarasota Florida) and if there are any dynos at the tracks it's very rare for them to actually show up. At my local track it's a trailer dyno.

1995 LT1 swap
Get a posi rear under it and then try the track again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.