Camaro Zone Forums banner

Header install tips?

3K views 42 replies 10 participants last post by  94z28 
#1 ·
Ok guys and gals. I'm installing my pacesetter longtubes, ORY pipe, and electric cutout tomorrow. (At least starting the process, I don't intend to be finished tomorrow.) I'm just curious if anyone has any tips? Do's or don'ts? It's a 94 LT1. I got the headers that allow to reconnect the egr and o2 sensor. I was thinking of just removing the cat. Any advice or warnings would be appreciated! I'll post some pics as I go also.

Sent from my iPhone using Camaro Zone

#2 ·
With longtubes you have to remove the factory cat. Take your time and use plenty of penetrating oil. Get oil change stuff because you may have to remove the filter to slide the headers in. You will also need o2 sensor extenders since they will be moved down quite a bit.

Sent from my Z796C using Camaro Zone mobile app

#4 · (Edited)
So today went "ok". The manifold flange bolts pretty much all snapped, but the manifold bolts on the drivers side came out clean. I removed the plugs and wires on the passenger side, and sprayed the hell out of the bolts. I'll let them sit over night. Looks like that side is going to be a bitch. All the plugs looked great though, so that was good to see. I'll be taking my time, as I'm on vacation for the next 8 days. I'm a rookie so I made sure I would have tons of time to do it right!

#6 ·
I don't even have the canopy lol. I did however have a pit to do my headers in.

#11 ·
Ok guys and gals. I'm installing my pacesetter longtubes, ORY pipe, and electric cutout tomorrow. (At least starting the process, I don't intend to be finished tomorrow.) I'm just curious if anyone has any tips? Do's or don'ts? It's a 94 LT1. I got the headers that allow to reconnect the egr and o2 sensor. I was thinking of just removing the cat. Any advice or warnings would be appreciated! I'll post some pics as I go also.

Do you happen to have the part number and/or link where you got those headers I have been looking but can't find them for some reason thanks

#15 ·
Very nice to see people willing to put work in. Good job.
Its not where the work is done that matters, my area is my driveway most of the time. Sucks bc im off work when raining, stuck at home and cant work on car bc no garage.
Cant wait to see vid.

#16 ·
Very nice to see people willing to put work in. Good job.

Its not where the work is done that matters, my area is my driveway most of the time. Sucks bc im off work when raining, stuck at home and cant work on car bc no garage.

Cant wait to see vid.
Thanks man. I'm not afraid to fail so that makes it easier to try!
Today I decided to give my back a brake and worked on cleaning my salad shooters, cleaning and painting my calipers in the front, and TRYING to white letter my tires. Here's a few pics throughout the day. Automotive tire Hood Tread Vehicle Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Wood Bumper
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Locking hubs
Wheel Automotive tire Wood Tire Tread

Found that both my tie rod ends have blown out rubber boots, so I'm on my way to pick up some new ones now.

#25 ·
I just popped that bolt from the shaft and it swung out far enough. Passenger side was a bitch. I'm not sure if it's standard procedure, but I jacked the engine about 3" to get it down through. God I wish I had a lift. Both headers are in, so just bolting her back together tomorrow.

#26 ·
You should've lifted the car high enough to slide the passenger side in from the bottom. That would've made it much easier. I haven't had to lift the engine on either of my longtube installs.

#28 ·
Well, good. Glad it worked for you.

Reactions: 94bonestock
#32 ·
So the collector on the drivers side sits just above the section of the body. I know the y pipe has the flat area to provide clearance, but any trick to getting the y pipe on to the collector? I obviously don't want to pry on the header. I'm struggling with it big time though.

#39 ·
Cool, hopefully it doesn't rattle going down the road.

#40 ·
I don't think it will. I was able to bury it In far enough for the flat section to clear that area, so it's not touching the floor. I had to postpone the electric cutout, because I would have had to weld that part, and I don't have the welder, nor the funds to have it welded. Easy enough to have someone do it in a few weeks I hope.
Thanks for all the help man!

#41 ·
No problem. Glad I could help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.