Camaro Zone Forums banner

How to Remove T-Tops

22K views 56 replies 22 participants last post by  AmorPatriae 
#1 ·
I will be getting a 1995 Camaro Z28 soon with T-Tops and I was just curious how to remove the tops and put them back into place. A link to a page that already exists would be nice especially if it has pictures. Thanks.

#2 ·
I'm not sure how your year does it... but there is just a lever that locks in place.. you pull the lever towards the inside of your car and just pop it up...??? its not hard at all

#3 ·
whoops... I thought this was the 3rd gen forum lol

#10 ·
Another thing: LOCK THEM WHEN YOU DRIVE. Even if they are latched, they can fly off if they are not locked. If the mechanism is hard to work, spray a lubricant such as PB B'laster into it, at the ends where it goes into the body frame, and also under the handle (You'll see it when you get the car).

There ought to be a set of hold-downs in the trunk. If not, you can have the ones off my parts car. they are the same, from firebird to camaro. They are marked which slot is for which panel. The latch side goes down, and you can lock them into the trunk.

Enjoy your Z!

Reactions: sandbag747
#11 ·
96firephoenix said:
Another thing: LOCK THEM WHEN YOU DRIVE. Even if they are latched, they can fly off if they are not locked. If the mechanism is hard to work, spray a lubricant such as PB B'laster into it, at the ends where it goes into the body frame, and also under the handle (You'll see it when you get the car).

There ought to be a set of hold-downs in the trunk. If not, you can have the ones off my parts car. they are the same, from firebird to camaro. They are marked which slot is for which panel. The latch side goes down, and you can lock them into the trunk.

Enjoy your Z!
Really? Ive never heard of that lol. It seems like the latch is pretty secure by itself but i could be wrong

#12 ·
Plenty of people have had them fly off on the highway or at the dragstrip, even if they are latched. :dunno: I never drove with mine unlocked, so I don't know.

#16 ·
I've heard that same thing before so I just always lock mine when they are put on. It takes an extra 5 seconds to lock/unlock them each time they go on or off and even if its only for peace of mind, it works for me.

#19 ·
The problem is the latch sometimes get too loose or the car rattles the latch loose. Then people who never really take them off never check the latch and boom they fly off. or it vibrates a lot and it pops it out and there goes your t-tops

#20 ·
Im with Awsmgy, they're only coming off it they weren't put on right.

If its difficult to move the handles to lock them in then the latches need to be adjusted.

I can't lock mine now that I have a cage, its too close to the locks to get the key in the cylinder.

#21 ·
If its difficult to move the handles to lock them in then the latches need to be adjusted.
Or the handles and trim need to be taken off and the linkage lubricated.
I had to do mine, they were almost impossible to latch and unlatch.

#23 ·
warning, shitty android picture ahead.

This is the driver side T-Top, pull that lever towards the center of the car and the latch is disengaged...lift up on T-Top

????

Open roof!

Repeat for Pass side.

Reactions: sandbag747
#25 ·
looks like it works the same way as mine lol

#27 ·
sandbag747 said:
so the lock to the right of the handle in the picture it to lock the handle so it cannot come unlatched? And you lock the panels with the door key that fits the normal locks?
Your overthinking this. Lol it's just as simple as it looks.

#30 ·
Why would anyone put their tops back in?? That's kinda like putting the top on a Jeep Wrangler to me. If the weather is such that I need the top(s), the car stays in the garage.
Because in Florida you get fried by the sun in the summer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.