Camaro Zone Forums banner

New to Camaros... 5 speed question

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  m109r 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to the Camaro scene. I recently picked up a 1995 Camaro with the 3.4 5 speed. I'm trying to figure out what transmission I have? I've searched all over the place, including my owners manual to tell if its a Tremac T5 or a Borg Warner? I'm building a 355 carb'd but want to keep the 5 speed. Is there a easy way to figure out what she is? A part number stamped on her? I couldn't see anything tonight but its dark here in Indiana :) thanks ahead of time.

#4 ·
I'm in Akron. About 2 hours north of Indy. If the 5 speed can't handle the power then will a TH400 bolt in w/o mods to the driveshaft? I plan on pulling the rearend out of a wrecked 94 Z28. When I bought the car it was hit on the passenger side front so I bought new fenders, hood and bumper cover... Just have to wait for warm weather to do my paint :) I'm going to just rock the V6 for this summer as I stock pile my parts then next winter slap it all together. This is a summer toy (3rd car) so def. not a DD.

#5 ·
Welcome. The Tremec and Borg Warner T5s are essentially the same. Tremec bought out Borg Warner in thr late 90s/early 2000s and continued producing their transmissions, IIRC. I believe if its a 95 its a Borg Warner. But they're right...either way a T5 will not hold up to the torque of a 355 V8.

You could make a TH400 work, but why not go with a T56 instead? Your car is already manual, why not keep it that way?

Also, just curious, but why are you going with a carbed swap? Why not go with a fuel injected motor?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.