Camaro Zone Forums banner

new guy with a question

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  NavyVet 
#1 ·
I have never done this before and am not sure if I'm doing it right. But I do have a question. I have a 1996 Z28SS that just had the crank position sensor replaced.(That's what the mechanic said it needed to make the SES light quit coming on.) Since I got the car back it has begun to run really rough for a few moments right after the first start up of the day. After a while it smooths right out and runs great the rest of the time. No matter how many times we shut down and start up the rest of the day, it starts smooth and runs smooth every time. Next day, cold start up, rough, rough, rough for a few then smooth as silk. Anybody ever heard of anything like this?

Thanks,
Southern Droptop

#2 ·
The crank position sensor is part of the optispark. I would guess the mechanic replaced the opti with a cheap parts store one. The ones from the parts store are notorious for being bad off the shelf or failing rapidly.

#8 ·
Pretty sure the CPS is a separate part and does not come with an opti.

#4 ·
The only brand I would personally use for the opti is an AC Delco, but MSD is a good brand and I have seen a lot of people use those. Having said that, I've seen issues similar to this with the MSD also.

#5 ·
BWD = Big Waste of Dinero...?

I'm kidding. They're like any brand--some good parts, some not so good ones.

I've only ever heard to trust AC Delco or MSD when it comes to the opti. I honestly can't think of a time when I've seen another brand even suggested for this part.

Sent from my iPhone using Camaro Zone

#6 ·
The crank position sensor on an LT1 is NOT part of the Optispark distributor. That is the cam position sensor inside. The crank position sensor is near the bottom of the timing cover. It is only used to detect misfires for OBD2 reporting and trouble code setting and does not affect engine performance.

The OP is talking about the brand of the sensor and the rest of you guys are taking about the brand of the distributor.

#7 ·
I have been doing some research and GaryDoug is correct. The replaced part is a sensor just behind the harmonic balancer. It was only $150 bucks installed, so I'm pretty sure it did not involve the optispark.

What I really came here today for is to say this: the blinkin' car has been starting and running like a dream for the last few days. If this continues, I'm going to have to change my opinion on junk self-correcting.

Bye,
Southern Droptop

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.