Camaro Zone Forums banner

No Spark After Smoke From Solenoid (Pic Inside)

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  96firephoenix 
#1 ·
So the car has been sitting over a year due to a faulty fuel pump & injectors, so I just got done with everything and right when I turn the key it cranks but this solenoid right next to the power steering just starts smoking and has a a weird electric smell. Now it has No crank at all. Can't even hear the starter click. I'm thinking maybe its grounded to the starter and it just fried? If anyone knows what it might be please help.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I have no clue what that solenoid is for.
Never seen one like that before.

That said, you did have the ground cable connected, right?
I ask because it isn't in the picture.

#6 ·
Found your solenoid - Manufacturer lists it as a normally open solenoid, so if it has failed, you've got an open circuit on your positive terminal. I would expect that you get a 12V reading across the battery terminals, but an open loop reading from the Jumper terminals on the fender.

I'd say this is most likely an aftermarket kill switch of some sort. I agree with the recommendation to remove it and return the car to the stock wiring. You should find out where the white wire goes. the green wire obviously grounds the solenoid.

You should also trace that black wire that is bolted to the side-post of the battery. And the red 14-ga wire that is routed over the top of your battery (the narrow one at the front-passenger's corner) You've had some dubious wiring done to your car, and my advice is always to remove it.

That said, you did have the ground cable connected, right?
I ask because it isn't in the picture.
The Optima battery has top- and side-post configurations, so it looks like the ground is probably on the side-post terminal on the battery, and this aftermarket thing has the stock positive side-post terminal on one side and a jumper to the top-post terminal on the battery.

#3 ·
Looks like it grounds to the body near the strut tower, but with a much smaller gauge wire than the power feed wire.

And what's the white wire coming off the positive side of this thing, and where does it end up? Almost looks like it goes right back to the battery from the pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Camaro Zone

#4 ·
Somebody has added that solenoid in, my guess is the original starter solenoid failed and rather than replacing the starter they added that in. I'd ditch that solenoid and replace the starter, return the wiring to factory.

#5 ·
I can't connect those dots.
If the starter solenoid doesn't work, there's nothing to kick the Bendix gear into the flywheel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.