No Spark After Smoke From Solenoid (Pic Inside) - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > Camaro & Firebird Tech Forums > 4th Gen (1993-97) Camaro and Firebird Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 03-19-2017, 08:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

No Spark After Smoke From Solenoid (Pic Inside)

So the car has been sitting over a year due to a faulty fuel pump & injectors, so I just got done with everything and right when I turn the key it cranks but this solenoid right next to the power steering just starts smoking and has a a weird electric smell. Now it has No crank at all. Can't even hear the starter click. I'm thinking maybe its grounded to the starter and it just fried? If anyone knows what it might be please help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161030_142609.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	36290   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161030_142636.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	36298  
ak422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 03:09 PM   #2
The "Senior" Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Thanked 1,212 Times in 1,087 Posts
Garage
I have no clue what that solenoid is for.
Never seen one like that before.

That said, you did have the ground cable connected, right?
I ask because it isn't in the picture.

96 T/A, Black/Graphite Leather, T-Tops, 6 speed, 10 speaker Delco/Bose "Monsoon"
Original owner, 207k miles and counting.
Total engine rebuild at 187,020 miles. AIR delete, bored .030 over.
Comp cams Xtreme Energy LT1 266HR-14 street cam and springs.
Custom leather interior at 190k miles. Total repaint 193k Miles
NavyVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Looks like it grounds to the body near the strut tower, but with a much smaller gauge wire than the power feed wire.

And what's the white wire coming off the positive side of this thing, and where does it end up? Almost looks like it goes right back to the battery from the pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Camaro Zone

Old 03-23-2017, 02:14 PM   #4
CZ's Turbo Gawd

Garage
Somebody has added that solenoid in, my guess is the original starter solenoid failed and rather than replacing the starter they added that in. I'd ditch that solenoid and replace the starter, return the wiring to factory.

-1994 Trans Am Gt: caged, CC503, Garrett GT45, 6Lbs, 3.73
-2011 Camaro SS convertible: Sold, bought it back still stock.
94 T/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:32 PM   #5
The "Senior" Member

Thanked 1,212 Times in 1,087 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 T/A View Post
Somebody has added that solenoid in, my guess is the original starter solenoid failed and rather than replacing the starter they added that in. I'd ditch that solenoid and replace the starter, return the wiring to factory.
I can't connect those dots.
If the starter solenoid doesn't work, there's nothing to kick the Bendix gear into the flywheel.

96 T/A, Black/Graphite Leather, T-Tops, 6 speed, 10 speaker Delco/Bose "Monsoon"
Original owner, 207k miles and counting.
Total engine rebuild at 187,020 miles. AIR delete, bored .030 over.
Comp cams Xtreme Energy LT1 266HR-14 street cam and springs.
Custom leather interior at 190k miles. Total repaint 193k Miles
NavyVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:47 PM   #6
Addicted Member

Send a message via AIM to 96firephoenix
Found your solenoid - Manufacturer lists it as a normally open solenoid, so if it has failed, you've got an open circuit on your positive terminal. I would expect that you get a 12V reading across the battery terminals, but an open loop reading from the Jumper terminals on the fender.

I'd say this is most likely an aftermarket kill switch of some sort. I agree with the recommendation to remove it and return the car to the stock wiring. You should find out where the white wire goes. the green wire obviously grounds the solenoid.

You should also trace that black wire that is bolted to the side-post of the battery. And the red 14-ga wire that is routed over the top of your battery (the narrow one at the front-passenger's corner) You've had some dubious wiring done to your car, and my advice is always to remove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyVet View Post
That said, you did have the ground cable connected, right?
I ask because it isn't in the picture.
The Optima battery has top- and side-post configurations, so it looks like the ground is probably on the side-post terminal on the battery, and this aftermarket thing has the stock positive side-post terminal on one side and a jumper to the top-post terminal on the battery.

A.J.
1996 Firebird 3800 Series II, T5 swap RIP 3-31-11
It lives on: Engine and trans from ^ are now in v
1996 Firebird 3800 Series II, T5
96firephoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:33 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96firephoenix View Post
Found your solenoid - Manufacturer lists it as a normally open solenoid, so if it has failed, you've got an open circuit on your positive terminal. I would expect that you get a 12V reading across the battery terminals, but an open loop reading from the Jumper terminals on the fender.

I'd say this is most likely an aftermarket kill switch of some sort. I agree with the recommendation to remove it and return the car to the stock wiring. You should find out where the white wire goes. the green wire obviously grounds the solenoid.

You should also trace that black wire that is bolted to the side-post of the battery. And the red 14-ga wire that is routed over the top of your battery (the narrow one at the front-passenger's corner) You've had some dubious wiring done to your car, and my advice is always to remove it.

The Optima battery has top- and side-post configurations, so it looks like the ground is probably on the side-post terminal on the battery, and this aftermarket thing has the stock positive side-post terminal on one side and a jumper to the top-post terminal on the battery.
So just checked and the 14-ga red wire routes to the back of the vehicle to the 2nd battery connected to the nitrous which I removed. The white wire is for a switch. I have to flip the switch put the key in and then theres a push button start. Its basically a kill switch. The black wire I have to look into more carefully as I didn't see where it goes. Will have time tomorrow to look. Ok so I remember about 3 yrs it did the same problem and I had the starter replaced. But I think I got scammed since I didnt really know alot about these cars. It has to be something electrical which I cant figure out. I dont want to replace starter after just 3 yrs but if thats the culprit then I guess I have no choice.
ak422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:16 PM   #8
Addicted Member

Send a message via AIM to 96firephoenix
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak422 View Post
So just checked and the 14-ga red wire routes to the back of the vehicle to the 2nd battery connected to the nitrous which I removed. The white wire is for a switch. I have to flip the switch put the key in and then theres a push button start. Its basically a kill switch. The black wire I have to look into more carefully as I didn't see where it goes. Will have time tomorrow to look. Ok so I remember about 3 yrs it did the same problem and I had the starter replaced. But I think I got scammed since I didnt really know alot about these cars. It has to be something electrical which I cant figure out. I dont want to replace starter after just 3 yrs but if thats the culprit then I guess I have no choice.
I really doubt the started is at fault. This aftermarket push-button start was not installed competently (hope it wasn't you), if it is burning out the solenoid that it operates through. Start there with your diagnosis. Get rid of this setup, return your wiring to factory, and then see how the car behaves.

You should really get rid of all that stuff. This time it was just the solenoid that went up in smoke, next time it could be the whole car up in flames.

If you can afford a shop to un-**** the wiring, that would be my best recommendation.

A.J.
1996 Firebird 3800 Series II, T5 swap RIP 3-31-11
It lives on: Engine and trans from ^ are now in v
1996 Firebird 3800 Series II, T5
96firephoenix is offline   Reply With Quote