Performance ideas?!?! - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News


Join Camaro Zone Today
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-23-2013, 02:15 AM   #1
New Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
96TAblackpanther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Performance ideas?!?!

I have a 96 TA lt1 6 speed with 3 in cat back borla exhaust, k&n, and a performance clutch. I want to do headers and a y-pipe, I need help with recommendations for brands and other mods, not looking to open up the engine just yet. Any help would be appreciated!
__________________

__________________
96TAblackpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:27 AM   #2
Addicted Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
HotRodd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fenton, MI
Posts: 6,936
Thanks: 121
Thanked 171 Times in 152 Posts
Garage
Sounds like you got a good setup. For headers I would recommend Hooker or Pacesetter. If you were to open up the engine, I would recommend a bigger cam, but you've stated otherwise. So next up I would think you would want suspension mods. Upgrade your shocks/struts, get some lowering springs etc.. Also maybe upgrade your braking system.
__________________

__________________
2002 Camaro Z28 Convertible - LS1 5.7L V8
HotRodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:58 AM   #3
Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
chet1185's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 383
Thanks: 2
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I have 2 lt1 cars and on one I have pacesetter mid length and on the other I have Mac shorties. The pacesetter were easier to install and seem to fit better but the Mac were not bad either.

If you can, do a stall and gears.
__________________
chet1185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:00 AM   #4
New Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
96TAblackpanther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRoddCamaro View Post
Sounds like you got a good setup. For headers I would recommend Hooker or Pacesetter. If you were to open up the engine, I would recommend a bigger cam, but you've stated otherwise. So next up I would think you would want suspension mods. Upgrade your shocks/struts, get some lowering springs etc.. Also maybe upgrade your braking system.
Thanks I was thinking about pacesetters. Ill eventually open the engine up but ill probably wait till I have everything else set up. Thanks again!
__________________
96TAblackpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:01 AM   #5
New Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
96TAblackpanther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1185 View Post
I have 2 lt1 cars and on one I have pacesetter mid length and on the other I have Mac shorties. The pacesetter were easier to install and seem to fit better but the Mac were not bad either.

If you can, do a stall and gears.
Thanks for the ideas ill deffinetly look into stall and gears
__________________
96TAblackpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:12 AM   #6
CZ's Turbo Gawd
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
94 T/A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Joelton TN
Posts: 7,052
Thanks: 89
Thanked 429 Times in 355 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1185 View Post
I have 2 lt1 cars and on one I have pacesetter mid length and on the other I have Mac shorties. The pacesetter were easier to install and seem to fit better but the Mac were not bad either.

If you can, do a stall and gears.
Good luck with a High stall converter on a M6 car lmfao...

OP if your keeping budget in mind go with pacesetter ceramic coated LTs, and 4.10 gears that will really wake your car up.
__________________

-1994 Trans Am Gt: caged, CC503, Garrett GT45, 6Lbs, 3.73
-2011 Camaro SS convertible: SOLD
94 T/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:40 AM   #7
Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
chet1185's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 383
Thanks: 2
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
My bad didn't really read what your car was.

Glad your here to correct everyone.
__________________

Last edited by 94 T/A; 06-23-2013 at 07:46 AM. Reason: double post
chet1185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:46 AM   #8
New Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96TAblackpanther View Post
I have a 96 TA lt1 6 speed with 3 in cat back borla exhaust, k&n, and a performance clutch. I want to do headers and a y-pipe, I need help with recommendations for brands and other mods, not looking to open up the engine just yet. Any help would be appreciated!
My first mod, was a set of previously loved Hooker 1-7/8ths Super Comps, for which I paid $100.

The subsequent installation resulted in three busted head bolts, that lead to a complete rebuild, which included tearing down and hot washing the block, new bearings, seals, rings, honing the oil pump, thoroughly refreshed heads, new cam, new-2-u 1.6 roller-rockers, new comp springs, stall… and a list of new and used performance parts that never seemed to end.

Now I ran the car at our local 1/8th mile track every Friday night and to say that I loved to race, was a profound understatement.

I bought the headers, because I wanted to eek out a couple of tenths from the mid to low 9s that I was routinely putting down, placing me firmly in the middle of the pack of some 100 cars that were present each and every Friday night.

Now I bought those used headers for a hundred bucks, because I couldn't imagine, at the time, paying a grand to modify a car, for which I only paid $2000.

I never truly tracked the expenses, because to do so could have only provided evidence to be used at my divorce… but I expect that by the time that the first rebuild was completed, I had $3500-$4000 into it… with a thousand of it going to the machine shop and most of the rest to Drug store around the corner from the shop for beer.

Anywho… I did most of the work myself, leaning hard on good friends with sound skills in the mechanic biz, and at the end of that nightmare I carved a full second off the 1/8th and quickly became the car to hate by the regular spectators…

Since then, I've stroked her to a fully forged 396… pushing well over 500hp to the rear wheels, running 5.13s on a spool in a Dana 60, full after market suspension with more then enough coin piled up in that car to easily have purchased a new Camaro and yet I find few things in my life which provide me with as much personal pleasure and satisfaction.

So best of luck in your journey…

Now then, IMHO, the best bangs for the buck:

A solid foundation, is a must.

Sound Heads… Does you no good to put a dime into anything if you're losing compression, so if you're on stock heads, spend the coin to have your heads re-freshed. One good way to get there is to get in a hurry ring off the manifold bolts in your aluminum heads.

Then it's Headers, Cam, Gears… Go 4.10s… If you plan on EVER putting slicks on it… minimum requirement is a trailer or a gift cert for a free tow, so it's worth the extra for a 12 bolt.

The Best Headers: Kook 1-3/4 IMHO LTs… Bolt in first quick and easy, hug up tight to the bottom of the chassis. MAJOR I've never installed the Pace setters, but most of the guys using them seem to love 'em and they say the install is easy as well.

Hope that helps.
__________________

Last edited by 94 T/A; 06-23-2013 at 07:47 AM. Reason: double
OVA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:25 AM   #9
New Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
96TAblackpanther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVA1 View Post

My first mod, was a set of previously loved Hooker 1-7/8ths Super Comps, for which I paid $100.

The subsequent installation resulted in three busted head bolts, that lead to a complete rebuild, which included tearing down and hot washing the block, new bearings, seals, rings, honing the oil pump, thoroughly refreshed heads, new cam, new-2-u 1.6 roller-rockers, new comp springs, stall… and a list of new and used performance parts that never seemed to end.

Now I ran the car at our local 1/8th mile track every Friday night and to say that I loved to race, was a profound understatement.

I bought the headers, because I wanted to eek out a couple of tenths from the mid to low 9s that I was routinely putting down, placing me firmly in the middle of the pack of some 100 cars that were present each and every Friday night.

Now I bought those used headers for a hundred bucks, because I couldn't imagine, at the time, paying a grand to modify a car, for which I only paid $2000.

I never truly tracked the expenses, because to do so could have only provided evidence to be used at my divorce… but I expect that by the time that the first rebuild was completed, I had $3500-$4000 into it… with a thousand of it going to the machine shop and most of the rest to Drug store around the corner from the shop for beer.

Anywho… I did most of the work myself, leaning hard on good friends with sound skills in the mechanic biz, and at the end of that nightmare I carved a full second off the 1/8th and quickly became the car to hate by the regular spectators…

Since then, I've stroked her to a fully forged 396… pushing well over 500hp to the rear wheels, running 5.13s on a spool in a Dana 60, full after market suspension with more then enough coin piled up in that car to easily have purchased a new Camaro and yet I find few things in my life which provide me with as much personal pleasure and satisfaction.

So best of luck in your journey…

Now then, IMHO, the best bangs for the buck:

A solid foundation, is a must.

Sound Heads… Does you no good to put a dime into anything if you're losing compression, so if you're on stock heads, spend the coin to have your heads re-freshed. One good way to get there is to get in a hurry ring off the manifold bolts in your aluminum heads.

Then it's Headers, Cam, Gears… Go 4.10s… If you plan on EVER putting slicks on it… minimum requirement is a trailer or a gift cert for a free tow, so it's worth the extra for a 12 bolt.

The Best Headers: Kook 1-3/4 IMHO LTs… Bolt in first quick and easy, hug up tight to the bottom of the chassis. MAJOR I've never installed the Pace setters, but most of the guys using them seem to love 'em and they say the install is easy as well.
Thanks for the help. I have a lot of idea to go through in my mind lol but when I do break into the engine I plan on going through every inch so I know I'm ok I'm newer to the lt1 scene before I was all in my Grand Prix gtp so I look forward to this considering TA's are my dream car
__________________
96TAblackpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #10
Senior Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
shadowspiyre99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 545
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I have the pacesetter long tubes on mine, good price and easy to install, tip, change plugs and wires while there off
__________________
shadowspiyre99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #11
New Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96TAblackpanther View Post
Thanks for the help. I have a lot of idea to go through in my mind lol but when I do break into the engine I plan on going through every inch so I know I'm ok I'm newer to the lt1 scene before I was all in my Grand Prix gtp so I look forward to this considering TA's are my dream car
Good man! Take it slow and remember that at the end of the day, YOU are the guy responsible for your build.

I agonized over every aspect of that first build.


Understand, that at the time, in my late 40s, I'd never seen the inside of an internal combustion engine. And I was POSITIVE that when I spun the heads off those mani-bolts, that I'd RUINED my beloved SPEEDY-CAR! So, given that I was on ALL of the Camaro sites, thus tapping the oracle of all knowledge, with regard to Camaro builds, what I soon realized was that there are a billion Camaro opinions on the web; with 500 million of them at diametric opposition to the other 500 million.

So, when it came time to make a decision, I decided to consider only the opinions of those who's times were in the direction of the times I was pursuing, which slimmed the options down considerably.

The result was a sound build, which was paced within my means… I made some mistakes, to be sure, but having taken the time to ask and having determined in my own time and in my own mind why I chose to go that route (with mistakes being centered almost exclusively on taking the cheap way out. Not 100% but the curve is self-evident… if ya know what I mean), I simply went back over the error and inevitably, the record was clear, I had rejected the advice of an old-timer and taken a 'short-cut' offered up by the herd…

So, it ain't all lollipops and oil soaked Napa calendar girls looking for a quick pass; but I sense you know this and that your inquiry on this otherwise simple issue is proof enough of that.

When I read your thread, it took me back to a VERY FAMILIAR moment in my own Camaro journey and friend, I have truly enjoyed recounting it.

So, as the old guard said in, Indiana Jones "Choose Wisley"…


Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowspiyre99 View Post
I have the pacesetter long tubes on mine, good price and easy to install, tip, change plugs and wires while there off

Brother THAT is good advice, right there.
__________________
96-Z28 Fully forged 396 Stroker, Ported AFR 195, Kook Lts, Comp 468 Cam, Ultra-pro Magnum 1.6RRs, Performabuilt Lvl 2, SS3600, Dana60, Spool, 5.13s, MSD Digi6, BMR T-K member,A-arms, Hochkis LCA, Panhard and ACA, Nano-Nitrous. Fairly stout for a 17yr old, low-11 second ride.
OVA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #12
CZ's Turbo Gawd
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
94 T/A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Joelton TN
Posts: 7,052
Thanks: 89
Thanked 429 Times in 355 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1185 View Post
My bad didn't really read what your car was.

Glad your here to correct everyone.
Yeah well we don't need misinformation. Im also here to fix your double posts and give you vacation time if need be...
__________________

-1994 Trans Am Gt: caged, CC503, Garrett GT45, 6Lbs, 3.73
-2011 Camaro SS convertible: SOLD
94 T/A is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 94 T/A For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #13
New Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
96TAblackpanther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVA1 View Post

Good man! Take it slow and remember that at the end of the day, YOU are the guy responsible for your build.

I agonized over every aspect of that first build.

Understand, that at the time, in my late 40s, I'd never seen the inside of an internal combustion engine. And I was POSITIVE that when I spun the heads off those mani-bolts, that I'd RUINED my beloved SPEEDY-CAR! So, given that I was on ALL of the Camaro sites, thus tapping the oracle of all knowledge, with regard to Camaro builds, what I soon realized was that there are a billion Camaro opinions on the web; with 500 million of them at diametric opposition to the other 500 million.

So, when it came time to make a decision, I decided to consider only the opinions of those who's times were in the direction of the times I was pursuing, which slimmed the options down considerably.

The result was a sound build, which was paced within my means… I made some mistakes, to be sure, but having taken the time to ask and having determined in my own time and in my own mind why I chose to go that route (with mistakes being centered almost exclusively on taking the cheap way out. Not 100% but the curve is self-evident… if ya know what I mean), I simply went back over the error and inevitably, the record was clear, I had rejected the advice of an old-timer and taken a 'short-cut' offered up by the herd…

So, it ain't all lollipops and oil soaked Napa calendar girls looking for a quick pass; but I sense you know this and that your inquiry on this otherwise simple issue is proof enough of that.

When I read your thread, it took me back to a VERY FAMILIAR moment in my own Camaro journey and friend, I have truly enjoyed recounting it.

So, as the old guard said in, Indiana Jones "Choose Wisley"…

Brother THAT is good advice, right there.
Yea I'm in my early 20's and I'm being very careful with my choices and I'm asking on here obviously with people that have more experience and a couple of the guys at the shop I work at. I'd be destroyed if I ruined this lol you can never be to careful or research to much. I appreciate everyone's help
__________________

__________________
96TAblackpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need ideas jclap89 V6 Camaro and Firebird Tech 5 11-10-2012 11:30 PM
any ideas ? sterlingsilver V6 Camaro and Firebird Tech 5 05-13-2011 03:47 AM
Performance ideas 02 3.8 02maro_guy V6 Camaro and Firebird Tech 24 02-05-2010 09:58 PM
Any ideas how I could do this? SnIpEr 4th Gen (1998-02) Camaro and Firebird Tech 30 04-13-2009 10:47 PM
any ideas david_nightmare General Discussion 10 01-24-2009 10:38 PM




Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:13 PM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright © CamaroZone.com

CamaroZone.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by General Motors or Chevrolet.

Camaro News Delivered to your Email!

Get the latest Camaro news straight to your inbox!

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]