Camaro Zone Forums banner

Rear end help

3K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  Sicmaggot 
#1 ·
My girlfriends uncle is a mechanic and said I would need.to replace my rear end soon. I have a 94 camaro 3.4l 5speed. I was wondering if anyone could help me out and tell me what to look for. I saw somewhere that people put z28 rear ends in because the gears are a little higher and the v6 will accelerate better. But I don't know about this cause the traction controland everything. I don't know if it'd bolt right up or what. Any info, advice, help, or comment will be appreciated.

#2 ·
Any 93-02 rear end will bolt up as long as the car it's from DOES NOT have traction control. It needs to have only one sensor, in the pumpkin. Not two sensors (one on each axle backing plate). The computer would need to be programmed for the gear ratio change. Others can chime in on how you might be able to do that - it won't be cheap...

Take a picture of the sticker on the drivers side door of your car that has all of the 3 letter/number codes, and post it, OR tell us the codes starting with the letter G. That info will help us determine what options the rear end of the car came with, if the door is original to the car.

#3 ·
…snip…

Take a picture of the sticker on the drivers side door of your car that has all of the 3 letter/number codes, and post it, OR tell us the codes starting with the letter G. That info will help us determine what options the rear end of the car came with, if the door is original to the car.
That sticker may also be in your glove box. Also, why does he think it will need changed?

Easiest thing to do is get a rear end with identical options. Or, you can keep the gear ratio and the ABS style the same, but you CAN upgrade to disc brakes and have posi (NOT limited slip, they're different).

#4 ·
When I take off if I don't take off real slow it sounds as if something is grinding orsomething. I got him to ride with me and at first he thought it was something else. Then we kept going and he figured it was therear end. We checked the grease and its full. I just need the most cost.effective thing. I'll get the sticker when the sun comes up

#5 ·
Does it have a two piece drive shaft?
If so, check the u joints and center bearing.
The center bearings are known to fail.

#7 · (Edited)
Yup, that's the sticker.

Does it happen if the car is in the air with the wheels turning? A friend of mine had a similar problem. He thought it could be the rear end, I could swear it was the transmission, from listening, feeling, and sticking my head out the window.

I say, get it securely in the air (so it won't move, the rear wheels aren't touching the ground, and you can get underneath it), start the car, put it in gear, and have somebody push the gas pedal lightly to get everything spinning quickly. Then you can use a mechanics stethoscope to pinpoint the sound (if it's happening). My room mate and I used this method to confirm the transmission as the source of the noise on his car.

Typically on a V6, it's the 2-piece driveshaft. Second most common cause is the rear end.

If it's the driveshaft, you can upgrade to a 1-piece driveshaft from a newer V6 car, or an aluminum driveshaft from a 98-02 6-speed V8 car. You can usually find used 1 piece driveshafts for $60-$100 picked up on Craigslist, LS1tech, or at junkyards.

#9 ·
The best ones are 98-02, 1 piece, aluminum. All 93-02 driveshafts will fit. The 1 piece part is mandatory. They made 1 piece driveshafts in steel and aluminum. Aluminum is best since it's light weight, but costs a little more than the steel.

#11 ·
You might have to take off any POS mounting point for the 2 piece driveshaft, but yeah otherwise it just bolts in. You'll notice quicker throttle response from a stop when you switch from a 2 piece steel to a 1 piece aluminum.

#13 ·
You need to have the car securely in the air, and for tools, like a 11? 12? mm open end wrench and/or socket, and a friend to pull/release the e-brake so you can rotate the driveshaft, and then remove the bolts holding the u-joint clamps on. Again, you should put the car in the air and check for the source of the noise first.. It could very well be the rear end (the rear ends on these cars isn't really strong).

#14 ·
The yoke bolts are a standard size 7/16 I think...only thing that is I've been able to find on any of these cars. The new trucks still use them too. But you can make an 11 work.

#15 · (Edited)
It only does it when I take off. I can't tell if its a vibration or something grinding or what. If I go real slow when pulling off it doesn't do it. Theres also a whine or whatever you call it when in motion

I'll have to find someone to help me my girlfriend doesn't know how to.drive.a straight drive. I have to replace a transmission mount also

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.