Camaro Zone Forums banner

Replacing tie rods

5K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Darkness 
#1 ·
I just got new tires on my '95 Formula and the tire guys said they could not do an alignment because the tie rods needed replaced.

Doesn't look like a huge job, but I am wondering; just what wears out on those? Is it the bushing/boot that wears out, or do I really need to replace the entire tie rod because they get bent, or something?

And while I am at it, should I do both inner and outer tie rods (on both sides). I am thinking I should, but thought I'd ask.

#2 ·
Why couldn't they replace the tie-rods for you? Every tire/alignment shop I've been to does it.

If you go the DIY route, take off your new tires and put some junker ones on. The last thing you wanna do is start an abnormal wear pattern on new tires.

#3 ·
You need to replace the tie rod ends.
The bushings wear out so that there is free play in them.

#4 ·
Oh, the guys at the tire shop would have been happy to replace my tie rods for $99 per side.

So, NavyVet, do I need to replace the whole end, or just get some poly bushings to replace the worn out ones?

I plan to fix them myself as soon as I get the chance, then take my car in for the alignment.

#6 ·
Good deal. Thanks for the info guys. I also saw where some people shoot a bit of paint on the threads so they can put the new ends on to the right spot.

#8 ·
Good deal. Thanks for the info guys. I also saw where some people shoot a bit of paint on the threads so they can put the new ends on to the right spot.
Good Idea but you still need to get it aligned afterwards.

#7 ·
There are also inner tie rod ends in a 4gen f-body.
Which means there are two outer and two inner.
The inners being inside the rubber boots on the steering rack.

#10 ·
If you are DIY, follow Korndogg's advice, check the play on the inners, they are a total P.I.T.A. to replace.

I would do it soon though, I had a tie rod end break on me while driving once, luckily I was just turning a corner and only going about 10mph, I'd hate to think what wuld have happened at highway speed.

#11 ·
Didn't seem to be any play on the inners. The worst part of this whole repair was getting the old cotter pins out. After that, it was no big deal. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to get it in for an alignment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.