Some issues with my baby - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > Camaro & Firebird Tech Forums > 4th Gen (1993-97) Camaro and Firebird Tech

Join Camaro Zone Today
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-21-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
The Frankenstein Catfish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ryanhardy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 1,004
Thanks: 95
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Garage
Some issues with my baby

So I just got my car back, I had a new clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, flywheel, slave cylinder, clutch master cylinder, the hydraulic line between them, and starter put in! So all is well with that! BUT! now I have a water pump leak, and its causing a misfire So now I need to do that. I'm no mechanic, but I have a general understanding of cars, any suggestions while doing this? tips, tricks or any advice is greatly appreciated! I'm also going to eventually replace both window motors and regulators, the emergency brake cable, change the transmission fluid, and throw some brakes on her.
__________________

__________________
Ryanhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:42 PM   #2
The "other" FI Bird
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jhobbins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,304
Thanks: 94
Thanked 67 Times in 61 Posts
Garage
Are you throwing any check engine codes?
__________________

__________________
jhobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:27 PM   #3
Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
knightp25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 172
Thanks: 8
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Careful with changing the transmission fluid. I was also worried on that one.

Especially if you aren't having any issues with it now

I worked at a transmission place years back, pulling the trannys out of the cars and giving them to the builders. One of the builders told me once. The biggest mistake people make is when there backing up and putting the car in drive while the car is still rolling backwards.
__________________
knightp25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:44 AM   #4
The Frankenstein Catfish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ryanhardy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 1,004
Thanks: 95
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhobbins View Post
Are you throwing any check engine codes?
no sir! no check engine codes yet, my mechanic told me thats what I was feeling and it was cause the water pump was leaking onto the opti spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightp25 View Post
Careful with changing the transmission fluid. I was also worried on that one.

Especially if you aren't having any issues with it now

I worked at a transmission place years back, pulling the trannys out of the cars and giving them to the builders. One of the builders told me once. The biggest mistake people make is when there backing up and putting the car in drive while the car is still rolling backwards.
well its a 6 speed, so i don't really have that issue hahaha and no I'm not having any issues, its just since I just replaced all those other components I figured why not change the fluid while im at it, and at the same time throw some of the BG products transmission fluid treatment in
__________________

Last edited by 94 T/A; 07-22-2013 at 08:43 PM. Reason: double post
Ryanhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
The "Senior" Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
NavyVet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 14,397
Thanks: 32
Thanked 836 Times in 763 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanhardy View Post
well its a 6 speed, so i don't really have that issue hahaha and no I'm not having any issues, its just since I just replaced all those other components I figured why not change the fluid while im at it, and at the same time throw some of the BG products transmission fluid treatment in
The fluid in a 6 speed never needs to be changed, per the owners manual, and do "NOT" put any additives in it
__________________

96 T/A, Black/Graphite Leather, T-Tops, 6 speed, 10 speaker Delco/Bose "Monsoon"
Original owner, 188k miles and counting.
Total engine rebuild at 187,020 miles.
AIR delete. Bored .030 over.
Comp cams Xtreme Energy LT1 266HR-14 street cam and springs..
lift I .500 E .510 duration I 266 E 276
NavyVet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NavyVet For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
Always Watching...
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
 
Superman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 20,552
Thanks: 241
Thanked 469 Times in 389 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Superman
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyVet View Post

The fluid in a 6 speed never needs to be changed, per the owners manual, and do "NOT" put any additives in it
I thought it refers to the clutch(brake) fluid? I'd imagine the fluid inside the transmission does eventually need changed. Clutch fluid shouldn't unless it's getting burnt or contaminated which means there's a bigger issue.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by 96FBird View Post
... and for that Superman wins the internets
Superman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
The "Senior" Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
NavyVet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 14,397
Thanks: 32
Thanked 836 Times in 763 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
I'd imagine the fluid inside the transmission does eventually need changed.
Owners manual specifically states that it doesn't need to be changed.
__________________

96 T/A, Black/Graphite Leather, T-Tops, 6 speed, 10 speaker Delco/Bose "Monsoon"
Original owner, 188k miles and counting.
Total engine rebuild at 187,020 miles.
AIR delete. Bored .030 over.
Comp cams Xtreme Energy LT1 266HR-14 street cam and springs..
lift I .500 E .510 duration I 266 E 276
NavyVet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NavyVet For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #8
Always Watching...
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
 
Superman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 20,552
Thanks: 241
Thanked 469 Times in 389 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Superman
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyVet View Post
Owners manual specifically states that it doesn't need to be changed.
You're correct. Seemed odd to me, but I confirmed. Manual transmissions do not require any fluid changes.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by 96FBird View Post
... and for that Superman wins the internets
Superman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #9
Addicted Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Meatwad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 5,796
Thanks: 19
Thanked 64 Times in 62 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
You're correct. Seemed odd to me, but I confirmed. Manual transmissions do not require any fluid changes.
Hmm that's odd. NEVER?
__________________

1999 Firebird Build Thread
Meatwad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
The "other" FI Bird
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jhobbins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,304
Thanks: 94
Thanked 67 Times in 61 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanhardy View Post

no sir! no check engine codes yet, my mechanic told me thats what I was feeling and it was cause the water pump was leaking onto the opti spark
Your opti could be going out. Theyre very sensitive to coolant/water. If your going to change the waterpump you should probably do the opti too. Youll already be 3/4 of the way to the opti and it would be shitty if you got it all back together and it was still missing.

Although i believe they usually throw a code when they are going out.
__________________
jhobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jhobbins For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #11
The Frankenstein Catfish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ryanhardy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 1,004
Thanks: 95
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyVet View Post
The fluid in a 6 speed never needs to be changed, per the owners manual, and do "NOT" put any additives in it
well, when I installed my short throw, one of the bolts was missing off of the stock plate where it bolts on, and there was grease everywhere. So i naturally assumed that it had lost some fluid, so i figured I'd just change it. For the additive, would you really never add anything? any specific reason? cause I've heard nothing but good about the product! its supposed to just clean everything, and clean out the lines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhobbins View Post
Your opti could be going out. Theyre very sensitive to coolant/water. If your going to change the waterpump you should probably do the opti too. Youll already be 3/4 of the way to the opti and it would be shitty if you got it all back together and it was still missing.

Although i believe they usually throw a code when they are going out.
When I bought it, I was told it already had the opti changed, cause i can even go through car washes and not misfire and that it was misfiring was from the water dripping directly onto the opti, does that sound plausible?
__________________

Last edited by 94 T/A; 07-22-2013 at 08:45 PM. Reason: double post
Ryanhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #12
Always Watching...
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
 
Superman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 20,552
Thanks: 241
Thanked 469 Times in 389 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Superman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
Hmm that's odd. NEVER?
No required regular interval maintenance. Still states to check the status of the fluid (color, fill-level, etc) around the same time as an oil change. But unless there's a problem, it's not necessary to change the fluid.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by 96FBird View Post
... and for that Superman wins the internets
Superman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #13
The Frankenstein Catfish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ryanhardy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 1,004
Thanks: 95
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
I thought it refers to the clutch(brake) fluid? I'd imagine the fluid inside the transmission does eventually need changed. Clutch fluid shouldn't unless it's getting burnt or contaminated which means there's a bigger issue.
well I've already changed the "clutch" fluid, because I replaced the slave and clutch master cylinder, and at the same time replaced that.
__________________
Ryanhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #14
The Frankenstein Catfish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ryanhardy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 1,004
Thanks: 95
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Garage
Alright, so I understand it's not required. But, would it hurt?
__________________
Ryanhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #15
Always Watching...
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
 
Superman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 20,552
Thanks: 241
Thanked 469 Times in 389 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Superman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanhardy View Post
well I've already changed the "clutch" fluid, because I replaced the slave and clutch master cylinder, and at the same time replaced that.
Well, naturally. But it's not like engine oil, where it breaks down, and requires an interval change.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by 96FBird View Post
... and for that Superman wins the internets
Superman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #16
The Frankenstein Catfish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ryanhardy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 1,004
Thanks: 95
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyVet View Post
Owners manual specifically states that it doesn't need to be changed.
okay, so i understand that it doesn't necessarily need to be changed, but. would it hurt to do so?
__________________
Ryanhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #17
The "other" FI Bird
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jhobbins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,304
Thanks: 94
Thanked 67 Times in 61 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanhardy View Post
When I bought it, I was told it already had the opti changed, cause i can even go through car washes and not misfire and that it was misfiring was from the water dripping directly onto the opti, does that sound plausible?
Its possible I suppose. Still though, if you can afford it I wouldn't chance it. I'd drop the extra 300 on a delco opti and be sure. Do you plan on paying someone to do it, or doing it yourself?
__________________
jhobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #18
The Frankenstein Catfish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ryanhardy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 1,004
Thanks: 95
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhobbins View Post
Its possible I suppose. Still though, if you can afford it I wouldn't chance it. I'd drop the extra 300 on a delco opti and be sure. Do you plan on paying someone to do it, or doing it yourself?
not sure yet, I'd like to do it myself and save on labor costs, but I'm no mechanic so I'm not sure if I can.
__________________
Ryanhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:46 PM   #19
The "other" FI Bird
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jhobbins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,304
Thanks: 94
Thanked 67 Times in 61 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanhardy View Post
not sure yet, I'd like to do it myself and save on labor costs, but I'm no mechanic so I'm not sure if I can.
Its pretty straightforward, just very time consuming. I had a friend of mine help me do it, but its definetly possible for someone with some decent skills. I'm not too far from you so I could definetly give you some pointers and maybe turn a few wrenches, but I wouldn't want to commit to the whole project my schedule is pretty crazy the next few months.

I also know of a shop that could give you a quote if you'd like. My friend works there and he usually hooks me up
__________________
jhobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #20
The Frankenstein Catfish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ryanhardy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 1,004
Thanks: 95
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhobbins View Post
Its pretty straightforward, just very time consuming. I had a friend of mine help me do it, but its definetly possible for someone with some decent skills. I'm not too far from you so I could definetly give you some pointers and maybe turn a few wrenches, but I wouldn't want to commit to the whole project my schedule is pretty crazy the next few months.

I also know of a shop that could give you a quote if you'd like. My friend works there and he usually hooks me up
alright, I'll have to remember that! I'm on vacation at the moment, so it won't be until i get back, and can actually afford the part!
__________________

__________________
Ryanhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New baby! HOW MANY ARE THERE??? SeanB2013 4th Gen (1998-02) Camaro and Firebird Tech 8 08-08-2012 01:59 PM
my baby seth Members Camaros and Firebirds 8 04-23-2012 02:10 PM
My other baby... SeriousGearhead Members Cars (Not F-Bodies) 5 01-18-2010 11:11 PM
Baby is here! fbodyrs96 General Discussion 21 09-02-2009 01:18 AM
My Baby cuddlbug00 Members Camaros and Firebirds 15 08-09-2008 10:24 PM




Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:22 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright © CamaroZone.com

Camaro News Delivered to your Email!

Get the latest Camaro news straight to your inbox!

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]