Camaro Zone Forums banner

Starting Has Been Funny

2K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  94z28 
#1 ·
So since I got this Camaro, the startup has been a game of chance for me, sometimes the car starts up immediately and normally, and sometimes I have to crank it for a while in order for the engine to start, and on VERY rare occasions, the car stalls after starting. However, it hasn't stalled on me mid-drive. The closest I've had was when It stalled in me soon as I put into reverse (I should also mention I had little less than a quarter tank at this stall). At one point, I put in this "engine repair" liquid which is to be put into the same place as oil, and it started up totally fine for the next few times. And now it takes a few seconds of cranking again to start up ok.

I have already gotten a new battery, and plan to replace my spark plugs in the next few days.

Does this sound anyhow familiar to anyone though? And is there any way I can diagnose the issue?

#4 ·
At one point, I put in this "engine repair" liquid which is to be put into the same place as oil, and it started up totally fine for the next few times. And now it takes a few seconds of cranking again to start up ok.
Putting stuff in the crank case does not produce the ability to "crank" :dry:

Fire, fuel, and air are what make the car run and the last one is usually in abundance...which means either your electrical system is bad (plugs, wires, and coils to start with; followed by the sensors that run those things), or your fuel delivery is bad (pump, filter, regulator, and injectors)...

Next time it gives you a hard start, shoot a small amount of either starter fluid or gas down the intake butterfly and see if it wants to start...if it does, look into fuel delivery; if it doesn't, look into spark delivery...this will only give you a direction to look, beyond that you'll have to diagnose the particular system that is wrong...

"Engine repair" in a bottle :lol:

Does it run rough while driving?

#6 ·
I've done more southern-style repairs than I like to admit.... But occasionally they worked...

It doesn't exactly go rough, it's just loud but that's because my muffler is only a series of holes. However, on the first start of the day it seems to either misfire or near stall,because my RPM jumps about 800 every few seconds while it idles. But after maybe a minute driving everything works fine

I am yet to try starter fluid, so I am going to try & obtain a bottle sometime soon.

#5 ·
I always avoid those miracle in a bottle fixes because they just cant be good for an engine. That said, try doing what the recluse said and also you could go rent a fuel pressure tester from a parts store and see if your pressure at key on engine off is low.

#8 ·
Bad idle air control valve will cause surges at idle.

#10 ·
So I was doing a random clean out today, and in the trunk I have noticed a little black "T"-shaped handle on a turn rod, which seemed unscrewed. I tightened it and the car started up no problem, so I will see how it is tomorrow.

As far as IAC goes, can this impact my startup?

Codes, my check engine light has been on a while, but I've been unable to access the computer as it is an OBD1.

#15 ·
So I was doing a random clean out today, and in the trunk I have noticed a little black "T"-shaped handle on a turn rod, which seemed unscrewed. I tightened it and the car started up no problem, so I will see how it is tomorrow.

As far as IAC goes, can this impact my startup?

Codes, my check engine light has been on a while, but I've been unable to access the computer as it is an OBD1.
Take a picture of this T shaped handle please.

#11 ·
The only thing I have to add to what the recluse has said is compression. An engine needs spark, fuel and compression, which requires air so thats technically correct. You may want to consider a compression test along with the above mentioned fuel pressure test. Start basic before buying parts.

Also it sounds like you found a "broken/fixed switch" in your trunk! Lol.

#20 ·
I have thought of this as a possibility, but the thing is, when the car has been turned on about an hour or less ago, it starts up without issue in a moment. However, when I leave it off overnight, it gets tricky to start the next day.

Sent from my XT1060 using Camaro Zone mobile app

#19 ·
That is what holds the jack in place when the jack is there.
Has nothing to do with anything engine related or anything else besides keeping the jack from rattling.

Reactions: Superman
#24 ·
But good for a great laugh lol. Don't worry about it though keep reading on here and soon you will know your car throughout.

Sent from my Z796C using Camaro Zone mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.