Camaro Zone Forums banner

Where to start when modifying an engine?

2K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  Ercmann 
#1 ·
Hello everyone I am new to the modifying concept but would very much like to get into it

With that being said where is the best place to start?? Do I bore the block and get forged pistons? Or do I get a cam first? Etc. etc.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate it thanks

#3 ·
Ahh I see well I want the car to be fun and fast when it has to..... not that I'll be racing it ....I would just like to unlock the cars hidden potential....and budget is not that good but that's why I'm asking so I can have an idea how much will it be I know these kind of things are expensive

but what do you mean by building the car to handle the power??? Do you mean put a roller cage in it? Or work on the tranny first??

#4 ·
You don't really need a cage unless you go racing, but when you build a stout engine you end up having to go through the car having to strengthen everything up.
If it's a manual a stronger clutch to cope with the extra power, sometimes depending on what you want to do with the car you may need to upgrade your rear end ,ie , change to a LSD diff and your axle ratio's.
You also may need to upgrade the cooling system with a larger more efficient radiator and cooling fans.
You may want to look into frame locks to stop the body flexing if it flexes.
Then you really need to look at a brake upgrade also, and maybe a steering upgrade as well ,
The list goes on ,but it all depends on what you want out of your car.

#8 · (Edited)
A 93-96 V8 Camaro/Firebird radiator is an upgrade for these cars as they are the thickest radiators made by GM. If you want a cheap radiator upgrade I would look into getting one of those. The radiator cores for those years/engine measure 1.375" thick - the thickest radiator produced for the 4th gen F-bodies.
Part numbers for the 93-96 radiator (same part, different brands):
GM: 52466004
Delco: 20700
Delphi: RA1081

For brakes, I would recommend 98-02 style front brake upgrade (you will need the front spindles, hubs, brake calipers, and brake caliper brackets, and bolts from a 98-02 V6 or V8 Camaro or Firebird - the whole setup can usually be found for $150 or less used), paired with Hawk HPS brake pads and Rotors Online brand slotted rotors. They make a big difference in braking for a stock 98-02 and a HUGE difference over a 93-97 car. Changing the fluid out to ATE Super Blue makes a big difference as well if you do extended hard driving, as the ATE Super Blue fluid has a higher boiling point than stock fluid.

If you go with the 98-02 style brake conversion, you will need to get the car re-aligned after the swap since you have to replace the spindles. The 98-02 style spindles also let you eventually convert to larger brake setups like ones found on Corvettes, Brembos from CTS-V's, or Brembos from 5th gen Camaros. The OEM Brembo setups for CTS-V's and 5th gen Camaros can be adapted to F-bodies for much cheaper than buying an aftermarket big brake kit for these cars.

Also, Z28 isn't an engine. For 93-02, Z28 cars had either an LT1 or an LS1.

#14 ·
Since you said that budget is not that good, I would recommend not jumping into modifying your car without having a solid plan, start to finish, and create a budget that goes along with it. Once you figure out the cost of all the mods you would like to do, multiply the number by 2-3 for the inevitable unexpected expenses; they happen to everyone who has ever worked on a car. If the car is also your daily driver, and you need it running regularly, heavy modifications are not going to be in your best interest and you may want to re-think your plan. Research the mods you would like and figure that you will probably have times where the car is not drive-able, possibly for decent stretches of time depending on the project.

My advice would be to only put money into your 97 RS to keep it well maintained and running. Save every spare dollar and when you can afford it, buy a car that will fit the plans and goals you would like out of your car.

#16 ·
Since you said that budget is not that good, I would recommend not jumping into modifying your car without having a solid plan, start to finish, and create a budget that goes along with it. Once you figure out the cost of all the mods you would like to do, multiply the number by 2-3 for the inevitable unexpected expenses; they happen to everyone who has ever worked on a car. If the car is also your daily driver, and you need it running regularly, heavy modifications are not going to be in your best interest and you may want to re-think your plan. Research the mods you would like and figure that you will probably have times where the car is not drive-able, possibly for decent stretches of time depending on the project.

My advice would be to only put money into your 97 RS to keep it well maintained and running. Save every spare dollar and when you can afford it, buy a car that will fit the plans and goals you would like out of your car.
Excellent advice I will do just that maintain the RS in good condition but I do plan on building an engine on the side so that I can dropout in there later all of you have given me very useful advice thank you I will start on a plan

#19 · (Edited)
If your worried about any drain on your engine ,you could look into electric power steering but I wouldn't get rid of it.
And the drain on your engine is minimal unless your parking the car and with the weight of the engine over the front wheels you'll appreciate having it.
I spun the belt of my 68 pwr steering once and with the weight of the BB hanging over the front wheels and no pwr brakes ,it was a bit of a chore driving home I can tell you..

#21 ·
You could remove it but i think you are supposed to get a manual steering rack if so.

Reactions: droner90
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.