Camaro Zone Forums banner

'99 Camaro "No Crank"

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  torquedork 
#1 ·
I recently got a '99 Camaro 3.8 and the other day experienced intermittent NO START as in starter would not crank. Next day it was a constant no start situation.

Turn the key, dash lights go out and NOTHING
The Security light does NOT flash so not sure if it a VATS issue
I tried both ign. VATS keys

Any ideas?

#2 ·
When you say lights go out, do you get a click and the entire car dies, or do they come back on when you release the key back from start to accessory mode?

If it's the first one, try unplugging and replugging the battery. Second one, I'd guess a grounding issue to the starter. Or the starter itself.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Camaro Zone mobile app

#3 ·
When you say lights go out, do you get a click and the entire car dies, or do they come back on when you release the key back from start to accessory mode?

If it's the first one, try unplugging and replugging the battery. Second one, I'd guess a grounding issue to the starter. Or the starter itself.

Turn the key to the ON position, all dash lights come on. Turn the key back to the ON position, lights come back on. Turn to start the car and nothing from the starter. Can hear other things energizing but no click or anything from the starter.

Sorry I forgot to mention I did take the battery cables off and made sure they were clean.

#4 ·
I would try checking all electrical connections to the starter, see if anything is loose/torn. Check all grounds that relate to it, etc... You can also remove the starter and test it on the ground using jumper cables & a long screwdriver. Careful doing this so you don't shock yourself. There are video guides on YouTube how to do it.

#5 ·
Also to add to this. The security light doesn't have to be flashing to give a no start. When you turn the key "on"..... not all the way to to start, just on, wait for the security light to go off before you try to start it. If the security light stays on and doesn't go off, this is a VATS issue.
If the security light goes off and still a no crank, it's another issue.

There are 3 stages to the VATS system error.

1) The security light will just come on randomly, even when driving.

2)You will experience a random "no crank". This will eventually get worse and give you #3

3) The security light "will" flash, this means a complete no start.

Is the metal tabs in the ignition key pellet (resistor) worn down? If so, this could be the issue. Also is a VATS issue, "if" the security light doesn't go off a couple seconds after you turn on the ignition.

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus using Camaro Zone

#6 ·
THIS IS NUTS.

So I get the car jacked up to see if I'm getting power to the solenoid with a test light and showed nothing.

Then suddenly after two days of NO START, I turn the key and thing starts.:dunno:

Once running, I dropped it off at a friends shop that hopefully be able to pinpoint the problem. Once I got to the shop, went to restart it and it started about six time and No Start once.

I certainly expect more out of a car I paid $1,000 for. (California car):biggrin:

#7 ·
4 possibilities
1. The electrical ignition switch on top of the steering column has been know to fail like this.
2. A bad starter solenoid will act the same way.
3. An intermittent start enable relay will also act the same way.
4. Bad battery connections, Disconnect and clean them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.