Can vibrations trigger P0300 in a 3.8? - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > Camaro & Firebird Tech Forums > V6 Camaro and Firebird Tech

Join Camaro Zone Today

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 10-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Garage
Can vibrations trigger P0300 in a 3.8?

I put a replacement engine in my 97 firebird with a 5 speed. Ever since it always gets random misses.

Every possible thing has been tried wires, plugs, shield removal, fuel pressure, egr delete, injectors, coil packs, ICM .... EVERYTHING

It only seems to trigger it at elevated rpm or speeds, code for evap also present.

One odd thing is it's brakes they have always seemed harder to push then other f-bodies I have owned, but with vacuum line off p0300 will still come up as well as flash the check engine light.

Now I do feel a pulsing vibration in the transmission case, but could a possible missing balance shaft also cause this?

If I just drive car like a grandma and putt it around town and stay under 60mph and under 3000rpm it rarely will trigger p0300

This is also a smog issue for me as well so this needs to be taken care off. I have heard with a tech2 it can be used to shut off random miss reporting, but will that in turn fail in a smog check under self tests?

No crank relearn was ever done on the car.

Could the PCM be the culprit?

One other thing the car does at times is cranks and cranks before it will start, that has never been fixed.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
Token Firebird Owner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Your car is not misreporting if it's misfiring and struggling and the CHECK ENGINE light flashes. Those are all signs of severe misfiring/engine troubles and you need to resolve them and avoid driving your car. PCM can be an issue but it is extremely rare. You would need a 97 V6 manual (5-speed) PCM.

Have you replaced the catalytic converter lately? Or at all? How many miles are on the car?

Regarding the Tech II, there are ways to pass the electronic smog tests but I will not help you at all in bypassing the smog laws when the clear reason for failure is a car that is not running properly.

I've got my D1SC in a box.

Last edited by ZexGX; 10-16-2013 at 03:24 PM.
ZexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZexGX View Post
Your car is not misreporting if it's misfiring and struggling and the CHECK ENGINE light flashes. Those are all signs of severe misfiring/engine troubles and you need to resolve them and avoid driving your car. PCM can be an issue but it is extremely rare. You would need a 97 V6 manual (5-speed) PCM.

Have you replaced the catalytic converter lately? Or at all? How many miles are on the car?

Regarding the Tech II, there are ways to pass the electronic smog tests but I will not help you at all in bypassing the smog laws when the clear reason for failure is a car that is not running properly.
passed smog with ease 4 moths ago, guess it just had a good day so cat is fine.

this is my 97 firebird not my camaro

aside from that car runs really nice has great power, awesome fuel economy, no hesitation whatsoever.