Engine chatter/rattle/whatever you wanna call it - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > Camaro & Firebird Tech Forums > V6 Camaro and Firebird Tech

Join Camaro Zone Today

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 10-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Engine chatter/rattle/whatever you wanna call it

Sup, so I have a 96 camaro 3.8 with 193+ miles and hit chatters while I'm driving. To be more specific when i put my foot on the gas it chatters then when I let it off it stops. It chatters sometimes when I'm braking aswell. It used to happen and then stopped as my car got war a few months ago but now that it's cold as hell in the mornings it dose it an it dosent stop.(I can't really say my car gets a chance to fully warm up because my cummite to work is less than 20 mins. It's a decent car, took it on a trip that was 1000 miles round trip and didn't have any problems and I'm about to make the same trip again friday to be safe I was going to change the oul and maybe put something a little thicker to see if that stops it. Do any of you have any suggestions of what weight I should se or what the problem could be? Thanks in advance for your input.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
CZ Staff
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

If your engine is chattering, I sure wouldn't take it on a 1000 mile trip unless you plan for the possibility of breaking down somewhere. Use what's recommended which I believe is 10w-30 for V6's. Are any of the dummy lights on?

Old 10-30-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
CZ Supporter

Garage
Agreed with the above. Only use the recommended oil and if you are uncertain I would not take that car on a roadtrip unless it is necessary; I would also plan for the unexpected and bring some cash in case you need a tow and/or repair.

As far as the noise it is making. Is it coming from anywhere in specific? Have you gotten under the car/hood and looked for anything loose that could be vibrating? If it's a metal on metal sound it's possible that it could be a heat shield. Additional info would help to find a solution.

1997 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - F-Body of the Month April 2012
2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4 (Daily Driver)
2006 Honda Civic Ex (Wife's Daily Driver)
1973 Triumph TR6 (project car)
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD (Farm Truck)

"It's a never ending battle of making your cars better and also trying to be better yourself." ~Dale Earnhardt
DavesWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwsmGy View Post
If your engine is chattering, I sure wouldn't take it on a 1000 mile trip unless you plan for the possibility of breaking down somewhere. Use what's recommended which I believe is 10w-30 for V6's. Are any of the dummy lights on?
I'm not sure what you mean by dummy lights but there are no check engine lights or anything like that on like I said the car seems to be fine and the sounds just started as it started to get cold. Prior to this weather change there were no sounds. It's made the trip before with no hitches aswell
Old 10-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesWS6 View Post
Agreed with the above. Only use the recommended oil and if you are uncertain I would not take that car on a roadtrip unless it is necessary; I would also plan for the unexpected and bring some cash in case you need a tow and/or repair.

As far as the noise it is making. Is it coming from anywhere in specific? Have you gotten under the car/hood and looked for anything loose that could be vibrating? If it's a metal on metal sound it's possible that it could be a heat shield. Additional info would help to find a solution.
No I haven't gotten under while it's running to give it a listen like I said it only makes the sound when I give it gas as far as when it's idling or when I get off the gas and I'm cruising down the road its silent I don't think it's a lifter or anything like that because I know the sound would be constant wether it was sittin or driving if that were the case. On my previous trip it didn't make the sound at all and I took it all the way up to 100. My uncle is a mechanic and he said because of the amount o miles on the car I should use a thicker oil but if my memory serves me correctly on the oil cap it says to use 5w-30 should I contimue I use it? Also I wa thinking I runnin some seafoam in the oil too before I left can you guys give me some information on how to use it properly? I've never used seafoam other than as fuel injector cleaner
Old 10-30-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
CZ Staff

When is the last time you checked your oil? Using thicker oil won't solve an underlying problem. Take a video of the sound you're hearing if you can.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:03 PM   #7

Quote:
When is the last time you checked your oil? Using thicker oil won't solve an underlying problem. Take a video of the sound you're hearing if you can.
I try to get a video but it's not really a oh crap something sounds wrong/broken sound but more of a this crap is annoying the hell out of me sound. I haven't checked the oil in a while should I check it when the car is on or off?
Old 10-30-2013, 04:09 PM   #8
CZ Staff

I'm of the opinion if an engine is making any sound out of the ordinary, something is wrong. Maybe it's not a major issue, but it needs addressing. Bring the engine to normal operating temp., turn it off then measure.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Starrk View Post

I try to get a video but it's not really a oh crap something sounds wrong/broken sound but more of a this crap is annoying the hell out of me sound. I haven't checked the oil in a while should I check it when the car is on or off?
Car off...

With 193,000 I would NOT seafoam the car...if you have any sludge in the car it's the only thing holding your tolerances right now, that and if anything breaks loose (dirt wise) and gets stuck in a journal you could wind up with more damage than you want to deal with...

I second a video or sound clip...with all the noises possibly made under a hood, diagnosis is hard without something to go by...
Old 10-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #10

Quote:
I'm of the opinion if an engine is making any sound out of the ordinary, something is wrong. Maybe it's not a major issue, but it needs addressing. Bring the engine to normal operating temp., turn it off then measure.
I understand, I'm not even sure it's coming from the engine, when I'm in th car it sounds like the passenger side I'll try to get a clip of the sound today
Old 10-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by the recluse View Post
Car off...

With 193,000 I would NOT seafoam the car...if you have any sludge in the car it's the only thing holding your tolerances right now, that and if anything breaks loose (dirt wise) and gets stuck in a journal you could wind up with more damage than you want to deal with...

I second a video or sound clip...with all the noises possibly made under a hood, diagnosis is hard without something to go by...
I will say its possible I'm just low on oil I do smell burning oil from time to time
Old 10-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Welp I'm in her now and beside a slight tremor from a misfire SheS purring like a kitten no more clatter
Old 10-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #13
The "Senior" Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Thanked 1,005 Times in 907 Posts
Garage
Is it lifter noise on a cold start that you're hearing?

96 T/A, Black/Graphite Leather, T-Tops, 6 speed, 10 speaker Delco/Bose "Monsoon"
Original owner, 193k miles and counting.
Total engine rebuild at 187,020 miles. AIR delete, bored .030 over.
Comp cams Xtreme Energy LT1 266HR-14 street cam and springs.
Custom leather interior at 190k miles.
In the paint shop now.
NavyVet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyVet View Post
Is it lifter noise on a cold start that you're hearing?
Its a possibility I'm about 1k away from another oil change
Old 11-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #15

Garage
If it is a 95-97 3800 sometimes the harmonic balancer will make clattering noises. Bad design and I think you can use a 98-up on.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #16

Ive had the exhaust make noise when i hit an dog once and bent the thin cross member up. Could be your cat worn and rattling