engine code p0171 & p0174 - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > Camaro & Firebird Tech Forums > V6 Camaro and Firebird Tech

Join Camaro Zone Today

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 11-06-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

engine code p0171 & p0174

I've read that these are most like caused by vacuum leak, anyone with experience with thesecodes ? Figure vacuum leak would be an easier and cheaper fix than replacing 02 sensors .. btw the codes are bank 1 and bank 2 system lean. (To much oxygen in exhaust correct ?) Thanks in advance

Old 11-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saclve View Post
I've read that these are most like caused by vacuum leak, anyone with experience with thesecodes ? Figure vacuum leak would be an easier and cheaper fix than replacing 02 sensors .. btw the codes are bank 1 and bank 2 system lean. (To much oxygen in exhaust correct ?) Thanks in advance
I had it on my 3.8 takes big vacuum leak to cause it. On mine it turned out to be the egr tube was cracked by the egr pedestal. (the egr tube that goes to just behind the thermostat cover. Not sure if you have a 3.8 though

Old 11-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffp1167 View Post
I had it on my 3.8 takes big vacuum leak to cause it. On mine it turned out to be the egr tube was cracked by the egr pedestal. (the egr tube that goes to just behind the thermostat cover. Not sure if you have a 3.8 though
Yes it's a 2001 3.8 with 5 speed . Was that an expensive fix ? If I'm not mistaken when I purchased the car it was originally just the p0171 code now its both p0174 and p0174. Very interesting thanks for the info
Old 11-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saclve View Post
Yes it's a 2001 3.8 with 5 speed . Was that an expensive fix ? If I'm not mistaken when I purchased the car it was originally just the p0171 code now its both p0174 and p0174. Very interesting thanks for the info
If those pipes are cracked you can try a freeze plug and see if it goes away. Or you might end up buying a replacement egr pedestal. Easy fix though.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffp1167 View Post
If those pipes are cracked you can try a freeze plug and see if it goes away. Or you might end up buying a replacement egr pedestal. Easy fix though.
Sounds good thanks for the info bro it will be nice to have no bright yellow cel on . This saturday mechanic is coming to look at it so he can figure it out ..
Old 11-08-2013, 03:08 AM   #6

make sure its not he o2 sensors, cause if it is,,the bad ones can mess up your catalytic converter and you don't wanna know the price tag on those, o2 sensors are like 60 bucks, not to bad.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBird98 View Post
make sure its not he o2 sensors, cause if it is,,the bad ones can mess up your catalytic converter and you don't wanna know the price tag on those, o2 sensors are like 60 bucks, not to bad.

Yea that was my first guess until I realized it was cel's for both banks and have been reading more and more about it being very rare for more than 1 sensor to go bad at the same time. I tried fooling with the egr valve a little earlier and it looks dirty but the spring action was not getting stuck so idk. Next task is checking the maf sensor cleaning that joker andvafter that ill be paying somebody to pin-point the issue, I'm in ca so not sure if smog is due this renewal if so I have 2 months b4 I start to panic lol..