I cleaned the MAF and TPS according to the codes read off the car. - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > Camaro & Firebird Tech Forums > V6 Camaro and Firebird Tech

Join Camaro Zone Today

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 09-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I cleaned the MAF and TPS according to the codes read off the car.

And it appeared to have worked at first. I have the 98 v6. went to autozone to have the code read and it said it could be the TPS, MAF or the fuel filter, the fuel filter is new less than a year old. cleaned the TPS and MAF with sensor cleaner. an hour later I plugged them both back in plugged in the battery and she fired right up. 10 miles later the check engine light came back on. Pretty annoying.

But it seems like the car is fine. Other than the rough starts almost everytime, its hard to tell why it starts up clean randomly.

and the alternator not functioning properly even though its brand new. and the battery.
it seems that in heavy stop and go traffick, the battery will die to almost zero! to the point where the check gauges light comes on.

and lastly, sometimes when im driving freeway il get over 65 mph, and for whatever reason have to let off the gas to slow down a little. and the gear will drop from 2nd to first then shoot back up to second gear until im at about 60 miles per hour.

sorry for the long one, and multiple questions. I just want to figure out whats going on with my firebird

Old 09-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #2

Garage
I have a check engine light on my 97 that goes out for a day or two then comes back,a buddy scanned it for me and mine is a weak O2 sensor...

Old 09-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #3

ok, try this, when you start it up, have the hood open and if it starts doing that stalling, quickly unplug the maf sensor and see if you hear any change from unplugging it and plugging back in,, if nothing, then try the same thing with the TPS (sensor).

Mine use to rev a lot every time I started mine, then smooth out and be fine,,i cleaned my maf sensor and it would help a lil but still do it, and I replaced it and never happned again,, so one of your sensors has to just be wearing out. I have the same car, as you.