idle and misfiring problem, need some input - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > Camaro & Firebird Tech Forums > V6 Camaro and Firebird Tech

Join Camaro Zone Today

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 06-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Question idle and misfiring problem, need some input

Hello /o/, I could use some other opinions on a problem I'm having.

I have a 1995 Camaro with a 3.4L in it, it sat up for about 3 years, got a replaced timing chain and harmonic balancer about a year ago, I think I replaced one of the packs on my coil pack, checked plugs and wires though, everything is firing and at higher RPMs the problem stops, usually after 1500. It sounds like a cylinder is missing or something, but I'm not sure what's causing it anymore. Checked vacuum lines as well, everything is connected and has vacuum.

VID 20130627 00012 - YouTube
This is how it sounds and behaves when the problem occurs, it doesn't seem to be an airflow problem, and it gets plenty of gas. RPMs are below 1000 when this happens, almost ready to die and it will if I let it. later at around 42 seconds, I put it into reverse and let it roll back in idle, then come back up.

VID 20130627 00013 - YouTube
This one is of how it is supposed to sound and behave. I turned it off for a minute and restarted it, and it idles perfectly at 1k, no choking or sputtering or backfiring.

I've spent the last 3 days now trying to fix this **** wagon, I would be grateful if anybody can offer some insight to what my problem is. Maybe it's the ignition control module? any input would be appreciated.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
The "Senior" Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Garage
I would clean the idle air control valve, and do a resistance test on the throttle position sensor with a multimeter.

96 T/A, Black/Graphite Leather, T-Tops, 6 speed, 10 speaker Delco/Bose "Monsoon"
Original owner, 188k miles and counting.
Total engine rebuild at 187,020 miles.
AIR delete. Bored .030 over.
Comp cams Xtreme Energy LT1 266HR-14 street cam and springs..
lift I .500 E .510 duration I 266 E 276
NavyVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyVet View Post
I would clean the idle air control valve, and do a resistance test on the throttle position sensor with a multimeter.
So I went ahead and cleaned up the IAC, and some pretty thick black stuff came off, looks like just an excessive amount of carbon, but pending further test runs in a bit, if it does alright today and tomorrow then I will clean the entire throttle body and see how it does, but I already see some improvement, thanks for the advice