Need 3.8 help - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > Camaro & Firebird Tech Forums > V6 Camaro and Firebird Tech

Join Camaro Zone Today

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 09-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Exclamation Need 3.8 help

My 98 Camaro overheated just after I bought it -_- it runs like crap now and I'll probably be looking at a whole rebuild, but here's what I've found so far: OBDII scan brought up codes for "Random Misfire", "bad o2 sensor", and "Bad throttle position sensor". There has been a trace amount of coolant mixing with the oil but oil isn't milky. The coolant, however, disappears quite quickly and I can't figure out what's happening to it. There's no puddles under the car and it's not smoking. I've filled the radiator up at least 5 times now. Today I started tinkering with it and I found a puddle of green coolant sitting in the intake boot just behind the wire mesh on the opening of the throttle body. Does this make sense to anyone??? I had assumed that the head gasket is to blame for all of this but coolant all the way back behind the throttle body? A mechanic at Murdock Chevrolet told me that the intake gasket was leaking but that wouldn't explain the coolant loss as there isn't coolant flowing through the intake manifold? I'm really confused. Anyways, if this isn't the head gasket, what is it? Not familiar with these motors at all.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabashofutah View Post
My 98 Camaro overheated just after I bought it -_- it runs like crap now and I'll probably be looking at a whole rebuild, but here's what I've found so far: OBDII scan brought up codes for "Random Misfire", "bad o2 sensor", and "Bad throttle position sensor". There has been a trace amount of coolant mixing with the oil but oil isn't milky. The coolant, however, disappears quite quickly and I can't figure out what's happening to it. There's no puddles under the car and it's not smoking. I've filled the radiator up at least 5 times now. Today I started tinkering with it and I found a puddle of green coolant sitting in the intake boot just behind the wire mesh on the opening of the throttle body. Does this make sense to anyone??? I had assumed that the head gasket is to blame for all of this but coolant all the way back behind the throttle body? A mechanic at Murdock Chevrolet told me that the intake gasket was leaking but that wouldn't explain the coolant loss as there isn't coolant flowing through the intake manifold? I'm really confused. Anyways, if this isn't the head gasket, what is it? Not familiar with these motors at all.
It's the plastic elbow that's most likely leaking coolant. It's a common failure with these 3.8s. The elbows plastic, which eventually cracks leaving u with a coolant leak. It's located right under the neck of the intake.

96 Pontiac Firebird Y87-3.8 v6 bored .030 over with forged speed pro pistons, ARH cam, P and P heads , double timing chain , comp cam oe-r racing lifters, comp 125lb springs,titanium retainers, comp hi-tech pushrods, ported upper and lower intakes, slp lid,SSRA, pacesetter headers, TSP rumbler cat back, pcmforless tune.built 4l60e with corvette servo, shift kit and Carbon band, 3000 stall, 373 posi rear. 50hp dry shot... for now
transambrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Garage
Buy a new o2 sensor and tps sensor. That will most likely solve the misfire code also. Then change you're upper and lower intake gaskets as well as the new metal coolant elbows as mentioned in your previous thread
Old 09-09-2013, 10:55 PM   #4

Alright. Just having a hard time visualizing this but I'll try all of this tomorrow. Right now I have the air filter removed, so the next step would be to remove the throttle body, then remove the "3800 series" cover and these gaskets are under that?
Old 09-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Garage
No need to remove the throttle body. I highly recommend a repair manual or google the steps. You need to remover the coil packs (label plug wires) as well as the fuel rail, and then unbolt the top plenum (3800 logo engraved) there are hidden bolts inside this manifold that hold the lower manifold down. Ill post a picture of the upper and lower intakes off the car. The one on the left if the upper, but it is upside down (notice the throttle body) the right one is the lower as it would be on the motor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-429249504.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	22851  
Old 09-09-2013, 11:29 PM   #6

As for the TP sensor, I wouldn't replace it before you check to see if the connection going to it is bad. See if it's getting voltage and stuff before just replacing it.