Nitrous V6 - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > Camaro & Firebird Tech Forums > V6 Camaro and Firebird Tech

Join Camaro Zone Today

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 12-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Garage
Nitrous V6

I have a 3.8 v6 98 it's got over 160k miles. With that many miles I don't want to spend too much money making it fast but it's just a little sluggish. I'm thinking about installing a nitrous system but I'm having trouble finding a good kit and instructions to use. Has anyone installed one in their v6 and want to share their experience? Is it worth it? I know it will kill my engine faster, but the engine is probably going to die around 250k anyway. Will my stock drivetrain be able to handle the blast of hp nitrous will give me? Thanks guys!

Old 12-15-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayLightning View Post
I have a 3.8 v6 98 it's got over 160k miles. With that many miles I don't want to spend too much money making it fast but it's just a little sluggish. I'm thinking about installing a nitrous system but I'm having trouble finding a good kit and instructions to use. Has anyone installed one in their v6 and want to share their experience? Is it worth it? I know it will kill my engine faster, but the engine is probably going to die around 250k anyway. Will my stock drivetrain be able to handle the blast of hp nitrous will give me? Thanks guys!
You can't just bolt on a nos system and go you will def blow up your engine

Old 12-15-2013, 10:55 PM   #3

Garage
Well obviously

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeman View Post
You can't just bolt on a nos system and go you will def blow up your engine

Well obviously, that's why I'm asking for help

Last edited by Mr. Luos; 12-15-2013 at 11:14 PM.
StingrayLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Eh depends.... It could handle it. But you are taking that chance that it doesn't. And more than likely me and everyone else here will tell you that it is a horrible idea. However, if you want we will def tell you more, and if I do say so myself I can speak pretty well about Nitrous theories principles and applications and would be willing to help...
Old 12-15-2013, 11:00 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A92RSnamedSARGE View Post
Eh depends.... It could handle it. But you are taking that chance that it doesn't. And more than likely me and everyone else here will tell you that it is a horrible idea. However, if you want we will def tell you more, and if I do say so myself I can speak pretty well about Nitrous theories principles and applications and would be willing to help...

That would be awesome! I'm really just hopping to get two or three years out of this engine and drive train, then I want to completely change everything, but for now I just wanna do the most with what I've got. I wanna make it crazy!
Old 12-15-2013, 11:15 PM   #6
Slow'erAss

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Luos
I good kit with safety switches and all the stuff you will need is going to be about $1100 new.
Plus tune.
You probably will not be able to push anything more than a 75 shot on that motor to be honest, and even that may be pushing your luck.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds

Last edited by Mr. Luos; 12-15-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Mr. Luos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:18 PM   #7

Garage
Nitrous V6

Do you have any idea how long the engine would last? Is it worth it?

Last edited by StingrayLightning; 12-15-2013 at 11:33 PM.
StingrayLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:30 PM   #8
CZ's Audio Yoda
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Garage
What "gains" are you referring to? A 75 shot is 75 horsepower

2001 Camaro SS LS1
T56
"Concert Hall On Wheels"
"It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
http://www.camarozone.com/forum/f18/erics-01-ss-
mod-thread-178452/
http://www.camarozone.com/forum/f27/...m-poll-180546/
Ercmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:33 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ercmann View Post
What "gains" are you referring to? A 75 shot is 75 horsepower

Gains in hp and also how long the drivetrain would last.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:38 PM   #10
CZ's Audio Yoda
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Garage
Nitrous V6

Quote:
Gains in hp and also how long the drivetrain would last.

HP gains would depend on the shot of giggle juice chosen. As for the drivetrain, drivetrain should hold up ok. That would also depend on auto trans or the 5 speed manual. Auto would be fine, as would the manual as long as you didn't abuse it.

2001 Camaro SS LS1
T56
"Concert Hall On Wheels"
"It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
http://www.camarozone.com/forum/f18/erics-01-ss-
mod-thread-178452/
http://www.camarozone.com/forum/f27/...m-poll-180546/

Last edited by Ercmann; 12-15-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Ercmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Garage
Even a higher mileage 3.8 will put up with conservative amount of boost (75 shot, 100 at best) for a while as long as it hasnt had the shit beat out of it. You would more than likely have to deal with transmission failure a while before the engine goes.
But a proper nitrous setup that will help to not kill your engine will cost a pretty penny as Mr. Lous stated before. But honestly if you are worried about longevity and reliability, boost is not your friend.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:55 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird98 View Post
Even a higher mileage 3.8 will put up with conservative amount of boost (75 shot, 100 at best) for a while as long as it hasnt had the shit beat out of it. You would more than likely have to deal with transmission failure a while before the engine goes.
But a proper nitrous setup that will help to not kill your engine will cost a pretty penny as Mr. Lous stated before. But honestly if you are worried about longevity and reliability, boost is not your friend.

On the contrary I'm actually hopping to shorten the longevity. I want to make it as fast as possible, and be able to get rid of before I graduate high school. The only think I'm worried about is that I'm gonna give I huge boost and destroy it the first time, when I need it to last at least a year of racing and daily driving.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:05 AM   #13
Always Watching...
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

Send a message via AIM to Superman
Terrible idea if this car is your daily driver. Safety, reliability, and of course legality issues will certainly be things to worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96FBird View Post
... and for that Superman wins the internets
Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:32 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
Terrible idea if this car is your daily driver. Safety, reliability, and of course legality issues will certainly be things to worry about.
This plus you just said something about racing so your obviously going to be using nos alot so you will def blow up your engine or transmission
Old 12-16-2013, 12:50 AM   #15
Always Watching...
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

Send a message via AIM to Superman
Of course he'll be racing. Why else does someone install nitrous into their car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96FBird View Post
... and for that Superman wins the internets
Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:36 AM   #16

Garage
I use mine for the onramps. Gotta get up to 70 in 100 feet somehow! Not really, I don't use nitrous.

And to Stingraylightning...Did you pay for this car? Because it sure doesn't sound like it. If I had abused my car like you are planning, even though I paid for my cars in high school, my parents would take the keys away. If you're just wanting an engine rebuild, find a spare longblock and rebuild it. You'll learn a lot this way and gain some respect for that car of yours. That in itself will go a long way.

Nitrous can of course shorten the life of the engine, but it's a tossup as far as how long it would be before you destroy it. Being a novice and without proper tuning equipment, you could blow the engine before the first bottle is even used up.

Figuring you're going to be using this on the street and not on the drag strip? Take it to the track without the nitrous and learn a few things about racing first. The end game is you don't get ticketed for speeding and wreckless driving, arrested for streetracing and your car seized by the state. Or you could end up like a few high school kids I knew once that t-boned a family at an intersection while they were racing.
The Following User Says Thank You to WarShrike For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarShrike View Post
I use mine for the onramps. Gotta get up to 70 in 100 feet somehow! Not really, I don't use nitrous.

And to Stingraylightning...Did you pay for this car? Because it sure doesn't sound like it. If I had abused my car like you are planning, even though I paid for my cars in high school, my parents would take the keys away. If you're just wanting an engine rebuild, find a spare longblock and rebuild it. You'll learn a lot this way and gain some respect for that car of yours. That in itself will go a long way.

Nitrous can of course shorten the life of the engine, but it's a tossup as far as how long it would be before you destroy it. Being a novice and without proper tuning equipment, you could blow the engine before the first bottle is even used up.

Figuring you're going to be using this on the street and not on the drag strip? Take it to the track without the nitrous and learn a few things about racing first. The end game is you don't get ticketed for speeding and wreckless driving, arrested for streetracing and your car seized by the state. Or you could end up like a few high school kids I knew once that t-boned a family at an intersection while they were racing.

I did pay for this car it's one of the first cars I have owned myself and I bought it completely on my own. I know the engine better than you could imagine. I don't need nitrous. I was hopping that someone would help me out. I might not be able I afford it.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #18

Garage
You know the engine better than I could imagine? You haven't painted a convincing picture of it yet with your posts.

Do you know what is necessary to tune these engines properly? If you do the sray and pray method with a big hp jet, you'll be guaranteed to grenade your block and not have anything left to rebuild.

Honestly if you are after building the engine, get a spare and do a rebuild like I recommended or look into some aftermarket cams, headers and ported top end.

Or just cop out and go get a V8 because it is a lot easier to make power with it. It has a huge aftermarket support so parts are plentiful.
The Following User Says Thank You to WarShrike For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2013, 11:47 PM   #19
CZ Staff
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
I know the engine better than you could imagine.
Then you should already know why adding NOS to your car is a bad idea. My advice is to take whatever money you have saved for a kit and spend it on repairs that you likely need to make. How's your 160k suspension holding up? Brakes? Oil? I can't imagine your 15 year old car with 160k miles that's likely been daily driven being 100% mechanically sound.

Last edited by AwsmGy; 12-16-2013 at 11:51 PM.
AwsmGy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AwsmGy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2013, 01:04 AM   #20

Garage
First off, you never stated how much of a hp shot you want to do. There is a safe shot kit of 35 hp available & then there is the deep end of 100 hp to 150 hp shots that it comes across you are leaning to.

Quote:
On the contrary I'm actually hopping to shorten the longevity. I want to make it as fast as possible, and be able to get rid of before I graduate high school. The only think I'm worried about is that I'm gonna give I huge boost and destroy it the first time, when I need it to last at least a year of racing and daily driving.
If you want to shorten the life quickly: use a dry 100 hp shot. If you want to get a year or more, do a 50 hp shot or get a wet kit.

There also happens to be a sticky on using Nitrous Oxide for 3.8s!!!
Nitrous Oxide Guide for 3.8

There are other avenues I think other members would rather see you go down, especially considering you want your motor to last at least a year. Got a Cold air intake? Cat Back? What rear end do you have? 3.73 or 4.10 gears will quickly improve a cars performance and not worry about blowing it up... These upgrades will be helpful later with your engine build! And if you choose to go a different route altogether, sell them separately to recoup some money.

I will say this, what is "fast" quickly changes dependent upon what you get used to. I went from 200 hp to 300 hp and now to into the 500 hp range. Sadly now even my race car feels slow to me and its a low 12 second full street amenities car, especially after racing some other cars that run low 11's and 10's. You will get bored with the "Safe" shot and its easy to increase it into the danger zone by changing the jet...

Quote:
I did pay for this car it's one of the first cars I have owned myself and I bought it completely on my own. I know the engine better than you could imagine. I don't need nitrous. I was hopping that someone would help me out. I might not be able I afford it.
Glad you paid for it yourself. If you can not afford a $400-$500 Zex nitrous kit, I don't think you can afford to pile up the money to replace/rebuild and do your engine mods like you say. Right down all your engine mod wants and price them out. Don't forget to put down new roller rockers, push rods, lifters, valve springs, gaskets, oil, anti-freeze, any tools needed, etc. Even a cam swap can be over $500 after a tune...

Warshrike in my opinion, knows his S@&#. I would suggest you check out his build thread... especially if your going to radically change your engine like you say.

If I were you, I would accept what I have right now. Save up for what you really want/mods you want to do. Or put it into something like an exhaust & gears that will give you a boost and can still be swapped over into what ever your future endeavors are.