Camaro Zone Forums banner

Oil pan drop

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  BK047 
#1 · (Edited)
Can someone please give me a detailed as possible description on dropping an oil pan in a 2002 3.8 Camaro, I need to drop the whole thing off to get to the bearings & clean it out. Details so far:
-Oil pan bolts all removed
-Starter removed, the starter bracket still in place
-K-member never unbolted anywhere
-Transmission still connected to the engine
-Engine lifted high as possible to the point of cracking the cowl
Even then, the pan only wriggles around and shows no good way of coming out. Do I actually have to drop the k, the y-pipe or anything else?

Sent from my XT1060 using Camaro Zone mobile app

#2 · (Edited)
You have to disconnect the exhaust manifold from y-pipe and also unbolt the steering shaft, so you can get engine up high enough, also don't forget to remove your oil level sensor from the side of the oil pan. and you have to turn the pan slightly as you slide it out to avoid hitting the oil pickup tube inside. plus the old oil pan gasket might be holding it on good from all the years if you can even budge it at all.

Did you say you didn't unbolt the engine from the K-Member, if not that's your problem, mainly !

#3 ·
Did you say you didn't unbolt the engine from the K-Member, if not that's your problem, mainly !
I overstated "never unbolted anywhere" haha, but yeah the engine mounts are unbolted and the engine raised pretty much all the way, the k never dropped. The pan was dropping off but the gasket wouldn't come off yet. Even still, the pan is either unable to clear the k or the pipe, so I'm not sure if there's more to remove, and what.

#4 ·
Are you trying to remove the crank while the engine is still in the car?

Sent from my Z796C using Camaro Zone mobile app

#6 ·
It will take much longer/may not even work pulling it out that way. I would see if I could borrow/rent an engine hoist and stand.

Sent from my Z796C using Camaro Zone mobile app

Reactions: Sundown
#7 ·
Can someone please give me a detailed as possible description on dropping an oil pan in a 2002 3.8 Camaro, I need to drop the whole thing off to get to the bearings & clean it out. Details so far:
-Oil pan bolts all removed
-Starter removed, the starter bracket still in place
-K-member never unbolted anywhere
-Transmission still connected to the engine
-Engine lifted high as possible to the point of cracking the cowl
Even then, the pan only wriggles around and shows no good way of coming out. Do I actually have to drop the k, the y-pipe or anything else?

Honestly for me was easier to drop the entire engine with the k member and transmission still connected to engine then once in the floor I was able to do everything I wanted right under the car I even cleaned and detail trans and engine

Sent from my Camaro Using my iPod

#15 ·
on mine I did this the same time I did my intake gaskets, so I had my upper intake off and it was able to lift higher to get the oil pan out. not sure on the shocks, havnt done that before . I don't know if taking the upper intake off would be easier, give you good clearance. either way.

#16 ·
The upper ain't even the issue, the engine is pushing backwards into the dashboard with how high I got it. And there is literally one more inch which can only be cleared by dropping the K.

Getting a different K member when I can....this thing is ridiculous :headwall:

#17 ·
You're just trying to lift engine to get pan out, or are going to take out the engine completely?

You have to remove two bolts and two nuts on either tower to free the k-member. Drivers side are T45 torx and you'll have to loosen the brake reservoir to get to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Camaro Zone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.