Camaro Zone Forums banner

P0303 to P0300

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  for4browns1 
#1 ·
I have a 1997 Camaro 3.8L with a misfire condition. I have read a number of forums on this site about this issue but I haven't found one where the code changed.

Initially, the pulled code was P0303 which identified cylinder 3 as the culprit. I verified that I had spark, but noticed that the spark was not blue on a new plug. It was more like yellow orange. I swapped the coil packs but still pulled the same code. Although the plug wire looked fairly new, I put on a new plug wire to rule it out. The car ran great for about 30 seconds until the check engine light came back on. Now the pulled code is PO300 which is a random misfire. Obviously, the new plug wire had an effect, but I am not sure what do next. I plan on putting on a new wire set and changing all the plugs to AC Delco. If this doesn't solve the issue, I thought about changing the coil packs. Is there anything else I should focus on with the P0300 code?

Thanks

#2 ·
Take the ignition control module to an auto parts tore and have it tested.
Make sure they test it several times to ensure it Is heated up.

#3 ·
Hi:
Thanks for the reply. I brought the Ignition Control Module to Autozone today to be tested. The guy tested it a number of times and it tested ok. I also checked the ohm readings on the coil packs and they were all in spec. The guy at Autozone recommended that I spray water in a mist on the plug wires and listen for a decrease in RPM's to check for a wire issue. I will give this a try.

Thanks

#4 ·
I swapped plug wires to rule out an issue with the plug wire. The car ran for 10 minutes before the check engine light came back on. Before it was coming on within 30 seconds. It was the same error code as before, P0303. I was slightly revving the motor during this time. It seemed that the check engine light would only come on during idle. I am kind of at a loss of what to check next. I am thinking about changing all plugs to ac delco and also plug wires. I have read that GM cars are not fond of Bosch plugs. This is what is in the car now. What else should I check?

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.