Random Hard Start and Other Junk - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > Camaro & Firebird Tech Forums > V6 Camaro and Firebird Tech

Join Camaro Zone Today

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 06-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
Always Watching...
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

Send a message via AIM to Superman
Random Hard Start and Other Junk

Car is being a punk lately.
About a month ago, when I turned on the car, it randomly just died. Tried to restart and it struggled to turn over.
Since then, it happens maybe once a week...maybe. It's very rare, and honestly impossible to replicate since I don't do anything out of the ordinary when starting the car.

I've got clutch chatter like a mofo this past month. I'm used to it but man do I hate it. What are some common reasons for chatter to develop? What's odd as it is sometimes intermittent as well. Usually on the hotter days it's there... which is like every day from here on out.

Electrical gremlins are attacking the car lately. BCM issue has been around for a year or so, but was so far and few between it was never a priority. Lately, my radio will cut off 3-4 times within a few seconds. Annoying as hell. So I'll hopefully be getting that fixed tomorrow. One of the bulbs in my gauge cluster is being a bitch. The one behind the Tach goes out randomly. They are LEDs, and none of the others have a problem, so not sure why this one somehow got loose. Last night my HVAC decided it'd join the party. I have a red LED and a blue LED behind the HVAC panel. Red bulb was out when I left for work last night. Tapped the panel and it turned on. Pushed on the panel, and it turned off. Hit the rear defroster and the red bulb turned back on. Then eventually, it turned off and would not turn back on no matter how much I poked at it. Will likely troubleshoot that today.

Last but not least to my list of annoying crap with this car-
For awhile now (long time, again another none issue but since I'm here, I figured I'd ask) the car kind of struggles when taking off from a stop. It's almost like trying to start in 2nd gear from a stop. It doesn't necessarily bog, but you have to baby the gas a little to get it to go. My issue, have it in first, gently let out clutch while giving it gas and I roll right into the gear no problem. But as I roll into the gear and if I need to get moving fast (say, turning into the flow of traffic) if I give it more gas, the RPMs don't jump up like a slipping clutch, the engine doesn't bog, like a misfire, it just kind of lags/hesitates before something catches and it takes off. I doubt this is the case, but every time this happens I start imagining what could be happening to make it do that. I picture gas flooding into the engine and it not knowing what to do with it all, until it finally sparks and BOOM- I take off. Also, this is kind of intermittent. Doesn't happen all the time, but I'm always worried it might when I really need to get out of the way of people approaching from behind. Oh, and when this does happen, when I shift into 2nd, it's like I power-shifted. Car lunges into 2nd... like vTech kicked in or something.

Anyone care to shed some insight?
Electrical stuff is a pain, but probably as simple as a bad connection/bulb. I'm more concerned with the random engine cut off upon start up and the hesitation/power shifting type response while driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96FBird View Post
... and for that Superman wins the internets
Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
The "Senior" Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Thanked 1,005 Times in 907 Posts
Garage
Worn / loose engine mounts will cause / aggravate clutch chatter.
Dirty MAF or failing TPS can cause the hesitation.
Test the TPS with a multimeter to see if the resistance changes smoothly as you open the throttle ( engine off of course )

96 T/A, Black/Graphite Leather, T-Tops, 6 speed, 10 speaker Delco/Bose "Monsoon"
Original owner, 193k miles and counting.
Total engine rebuild at 187,020 miles. AIR delete, bored .030 over.
Comp cams Xtreme Energy LT1 266HR-14 street cam and springs.
Custom leather interior at 190k miles.
In the paint shop now.
NavyVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
Always Watching...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyVet View Post
Worn / loose engine mounts will cause / aggravate clutch chatter.
Dirty MAF or failing TPS can cause the hesitation.
Test the TPS with a multimeter to see if the resistance changes smoothly as you open the throttle ( engine off of course )
Ah, I've thought about the engine mounts... thanks for the reminder, that's most definitely an issue in itself.
I highly doubt the MAF is dirty, it's a fairly new part. If you recall I just replaced it earlier this year. I don't have a multimeter, but I'm going to my friend's house to do the BCM fix tomorrow, and I'm sure he'll have one. How do I test it and what are the readings I'm looking for?

Quote:
Old 06-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
The "Senior" Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Thanked 1,005 Times in 907 Posts
Garage
Not sure of the correct readings, but basically hook up the meter and then slowly open the throttle.
The readout should change ( progress ) smoothly as you open the throttle, and not skip around / skip numbers.

96 T/A, Black/Graphite Leather, T-Tops, 6 speed, 10 speaker Delco/Bose "Monsoon"
Original owner, 193k miles and counting.
Total engine rebuild at 187,020 miles. AIR delete, bored .030 over.
Comp cams Xtreme Energy LT1 266HR-14 street cam and springs.
Custom leather interior at 190k miles.
In the paint shop now.
NavyVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:11 PM   #5
Always Watching...

Got it, thanks. Found a Youtube video on how to properly test it, so now I've got an idea on what to do. Will report back my findings when I get home tomorrow.

Also, just got back in from outside (holy hell, the humidity today!) and I think I fixed my HVAC light issue. The LED somehow became unseated fully in the socket. Took it out, and put it back in snug and no longer flickered. Should be good. Also checked other. Most likely the problem with the Gauge cluster bulb too, but that's too much of a PITA to get to. I'll wait till I swap in my new overlay and new LEDs sometime down the road.

Also, another thing for me to bitch about that I left out of my first post was my driver's door. When I bought the car back in 2008 the driver's door was squeaky/loud as hell. In 2009 I joined LS1Tech and got a free sample of Fluid FilmŪ | Corrosion Preventative, Lubricant and Rust Inhibitor basically a spray on lubricant. Sprayed the heck out of the door hinges and have never heard a sound since... until this past week. The worst sound ever... creaking.
Anyway, I was reminded just now that I forgot to mention this as I was unlocking my car and reaching for my door handle. But for some reason, today, for the first time in a month, it didn't make a sound. lol. I need to find me a can of lube

Quote:
Old 07-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
Always Watching...

Got the BCM fixed. One solder point was cracked and crappy looking. The rest looked fine but we put a little bit of solder on top just in case.

So far so good. Also reprogrammed my PAC-SWI PS because the damn thing keeps losing it's programming. Fixed a few broken solders/wires and reinstalled. As soon as I put the bezel back on it stopped responding. Took it all out again, reprogrammed, put back together, nothing. WTF! Gave up, got home, took it all apart, found another wire/splice that needed repair. Reprogrammed, put back together, no good. Took it apart, reprogrammed, put back together, nothing. Out of frustration I flicked my HU (didn't want to cause any real damage) and now the steering wheel controls work just fine. I'll hunt down that gremlin another day...
Didn't get a chance to check the TPS. But I borrowed my friend's multimeter, so may check tomorrow. Although, because it knows I'm looking for the problem the car didn't act up at all today. Even when I had to haul *** to merge into traffic, it pulled strong and very smoothly. Reminded me why I like my car.

Quote:
Old 07-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
Always Watching...

Haven't gotten around to testing the TPS. The car hasn't hesitated lately. Also, hasn't had the random shut off upon initial start-up. Go figure. Past couple of days I haven't noticed any clutch chatter either.
Car's fixing itself it seems. Sweet!

Btw- I get "how-to" test the TPS, but unless I'm staring at the wrong sensor/plug (possible), it's got more than 3 wires going to it... so... any help?

Quote:
Old 07-26-2013, 03:55 AM   #8
Always Watching...

Went a couple of weeks with no problems but the random shut off has happened once a day for the past 3 days this week.
I think something may be falling due to heat sink. Seems like it's after either a long drive and/or when it's super hot outside.

Quote: