Camaro Zone Forums banner

Rearend clunk/rattle noise

8K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  mstephens20 
#1 ·
Whats up V6 guys
Anyways I have a 2000 3.8 auto and the rearend has for awhile now always had some kind of noise kindof like a rattleing clunking when turning to the left, coasting or coming to a stop. My guess is tht its coming from inside the housing somewhere but thts just a guess from what I hear. You can hear it from inside the car easy and like I sad its mostly while turing left or coasting...

Has anyone else with a v6 had this annoying clunking with there rearends while turning with out using gas or coasting.

Also would a wore out drivshaft or driveshaft u-joints casue this clanking sounds or something close????

Also what year gm rearends can I replace my stock rearend with. Ive been tryin to find a used one with diffrent gears and all and hopefuly get rid of this clanking problem.

#2 ·
ok, bad u joints will only clunk when you step on the gas or when you let off the gas or on hard shifts.

If you are hearing rattling that does not correspond to a lurching in the drive of your car, the problem is very likely not in your pumpkin. have someone else sit in the car and do a torque stall in drive until you hear the rattle, then crawl around the back end and look for rattling components. you could have a loose muffler mount thats causing it to rattle... mine will rattle at about 1200, 2700 and 4000 RPMs, so its possible that yours only rattles at certain rpms that you only experience while coasting or when you turn, it shifts position just enough to rattle.

I would also encourage you to ensure that the clunking around the turns is not coming from your front end. this could be the symptom of a serious failure in your steering linkage.

just a general tip when trying to fix something, list any and all possible problems, then start with the cheap and easy ones.

#5 ·
Alright guys thanks for the response
Im gonna do some crawling around under my car and see what i can find.

My exhaust does move about 1-2 inches side to side like if i grab the muffler and move it side to side theres alot of play and i think thts where all my rattling is coming from but thts all i did is replace the old wore out rubber hangers with new ones and now it wants to rattle lol

#7 ·
well this is'nt that kind of a rattle...this is a clunking that shouldnt be there. its not a little rattle i have to try hard to listen for it.....

I just put new rubber hangers on and it raised it a lil cause the old ones were worn out but now it hits my heat shield but ima try and see what i can find when i get time to get under her.

thanks

#10 ·
Possibly bad rear LCA bushings.

#11 ·
Alright thanks guys i took a look under there over the weekend and i did find where the exhaust goes over the rear axle the pip does hit the under carage and make a noise but the one im hearing and experieceing is louder and deeper of a clunk or rattle so i will now go check the LCA bushings and see if anything around there is moving and making this noise.

thanks for any suggestions

#14 ·
no the rear disc was an option for the base models and standard on the RS, Z28, SS, Formula and TA. I think. I could be wrong about what all it was standard on. either way, my fsm lists both, and it also says that the disc usually had a one-piece driveshaft and no torque bar. I'm hoping to find rear discs on a JY fbody that I can just pull and play... no luck yet

#16 ·
i just realized something. you said that it gets louder as you turn left. is it rhythmic and related to vehicle speed? if so, that could be an early indicator of a bad wheel bearing on your right rear wheel hub. that is certainly something to watch out for.

#17 ·
It feels as if my rear end is just loose..like there just to much side to side play...if i get out and push or shake my rear tire you can hear the rear end moving and clunking and thts what i hear while turning

also....
Can anyone tell me what year rear end to look for.
Im trying to find one with better gears and posi and not sure what years will fit my 2000 3.8

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.