Reduced engine power - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > Camaro & Firebird Tech Forums > V6 Camaro and Firebird Tech

Join Camaro Zone Today

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 05-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
CZ Supporter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Garage
My reduced engine power light keeps coming on everytime I drive and I have absolutely no throttle. I know my tps is crap and because of it I need a new throttle body. Funds are low so the throttle body has to wait till I make a trip to a salvage yard with my dad and if I can't find one I have to throw down 500+ at the shop. The throttle body problem I only knew about from codes for months. I couldn't feel it was wrong. but this light has been coming on all of a sudden all week. The oil pressure is low too. It's really low and as I accelerate, the pressure raises to normal. As I slow down, it goes low again. The car doesn't overheat or anything. What could be causing this light? And the oil pressure?

Weekend Cruiser
:
2004 Pontiac GTO- 5.7 LS1, True Duals, SLP Loudmouth, Yank 3600 stall, built tranny, tuned, lowered, 20% tint, American Racing Villain rims, beautiful red interior.
Zach+'maro=:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:00 PM   #2

The reduced engine power happens when something is wrong with the engine, it allows you to baby your car to the side of the road or someplace to where you can get it looked at. My 99 firebird goes into reduced engine power everytime I accidently kill it. So you might want to get your engine checked out... or maybe theres something wrong with the sensor that causes it to go into reduced engine power

Old 05-20-2011, 08:33 PM   #3
Token Firebird Owner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

First off, find a code reader and figure out what OBD-II codes your car is throwing. Use another car to get the OBD-II code reader to prevent even more damage to your car.

I've got my D1SC in a box.
ZexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:02 PM   #4
The "Senior" Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Garage
How do you know the TPS is crap?
IIRC you don't have to replace the entire throttle body, but just replace the TPS.

96 T/A, Black/Graphite Leather, T-Tops, 6 speed, 10 speaker Delco/Bose "Monsoon"
Original owner, 188k miles and counting.
Total engine rebuild at 187,020 miles.
AIR delete. Bored .030 over.
Comp cams Xtreme Energy LT1 266HR-14 street cam and springs..
lift I .500 E .510 duration I 266 E 276
NavyVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:55 PM   #5
GoatZone Supporter :D
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Send a message via AIM to TJFish
Quote:
Originally Posted by FbodyLove View Post
The reduced engine power happens when something is wrong with the engine, it allows you to baby your car to the side of the road or someplace to where you can get it looked at. My 99 firebird goes into reduced engine power everytime I accidently kill it. So you might want to get your engine checked out... or maybe theres something wrong with the sensor that causes it to go into reduced engine power
You're thinking of "limp mode."

And I agree with the above posters, scan your PCM for the trouble codes. How else will you know what is wrong?

1993 Pontiac Trans Am - LT1, A4, Red, T-Tops, Leather, C6 Wheels, TSP Rumbler. SOLD 11/11

1998 Pontiac Firebird - L36, A4, Silver, T-Tops, Exhaust, TA wheels. SOLD 03/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach+'maro=:) View Post
When im in a great mood I get in my car and drive like a bat out of hell. When I'm pissed, I drive like a bat out of hell lol
TJFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:44 PM   #6
CZ Supporter

Garage
The code that comes up is the one telling me the tps is bad. It never did this before it went bad so I'm sure that's what it is. I was told it doesn't hurt the car to drive it in limp mode as you put it. And iv checked and checked everywhere from many people and mechanics i know. My tps is rivetted into the throttle body, it's electronic and doesn't use a throttle cable. The only way to change it is to undo the rivets and re-rivet it, which I cannot do. So my only hope is to find a used TB until I give in and blow 500+ on a new one I was told the tps is the culprit but I was unsure if something else could cause it to happen that doesn't throw a code. The car runs beautifully when its not in limp mode. It doesn't stay in limp either. Like today. It came on while highway driving. I pulled over turned it off. Waited a couple minutes, started it, and it drove beautifully again. This short sporadic happenings is what makes me believe it's electronic, like the faulty sensor like I was told. I don't know. Thought I'd get your guys opinions about it.

Weekend Cruiser
:
2004 Pontiac GTO- 5.7 LS1, True Duals, SLP Loudmouth, Yank 3600 stall, built tranny, tuned, lowered, 20% tint, American Racing Villain rims, beautiful red interior.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:37 PM   #7
The "Senior" Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Garage
Have you tried testing / cleaning electrical connections?
Unplug the TPS connector and plug it back in.
Same with the MAF and some other sensors.

What you describe sounds like and intermittent electrical issue.

96 T/A, Black/Graphite Leather, T-Tops, 6 speed, 10 speaker Delco/Bose "Monsoon"
Original owner, 188k miles and counting.
Total engine rebuild at 187,020 miles.
AIR delete. Bored .030 over.
Comp cams Xtreme Energy LT1 266HR-14 street cam and springs..
lift I .500 E .510 duration I 266 E 276
NavyVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:08 PM   #8
CZ Supporter

Garage
No I havent. It seems to act up mainly when it's wet/rainy out. It's raining now. I'll try that after it drys up.

Weekend Cruiser
:
Old 06-06-2011, 12:59 AM   #9

Same problem on my 2001 camaro v6

i washed my Engine and than i had the same codes... tps... mass air flow, now i need to know if u fixed your car or not? and how u did it... i have tried to clean everything... tried to warm up the engine many times and nothing changed pleaseee help!!!
Old 06-06-2011, 07:06 AM   #10
CZ Supporter

Garage
I just cleaned the connections on the throttle body. Codes are still there but since then no REP light and it's been running good. Guessing it helped lol

Weekend Cruiser
: