Camaro Zone Forums banner

replacing the oil pan 3.8 96 camaro

9K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  TheBird98 
#1 ·
i need to replace the oil pan on my 96 camaro with the 3.8. what is the easiest way? is there a way to do it with out lifting the motor??

#2 ·
I did an oil pan gasket recently on my 01 and theres no way to do it without lowering the k member some and picking the engine up a bit just not enough room down there :p have to pull the starter off too but thats pretty easy

#4 ·
The 99 service manual I had for reference requires the k member be dropped. And if you're wondering why I have an 99 manual for an 01 car well its GMs factory manual and I got it free...so no reason to buy an 01 manual at the moment though I will be at some point just for the most precise information.

#5 · (Edited)
well,,trying to get my oil pan down for gasket replacement,, just spent 12 hours working with my engine lift and getting the transmission fly-wheel cover loose and got the drivers engine mount bolt out ( Dropping the starter is a must gives you working room and one of the fly-wheel bolts is hiding behind it ) ;) ,, but damn the passenger side it gave me the worst trouble with the fly-wheel cover bolt no room for torgue ,, had to use my foot on the socket wrench to break it free,:) ha ha, I used pb blaster to, there wasnt any rust on the bolts , just thought id take all the help I could get,,I did end up getting it,,Now Im at another wall , I got the passenger engine through bolt loose and wanting to come out but,, damn if the A/C compressor isnt in the way :(,, the haynes and chilton books said nothing about that,,, very very stupid and oh ya they only said it would be 3 or 4 steps in getting the oil pan down and out pending on your year! No problem they make it sound ,but they forgot to mention each step takes 3 or 4 hours to do if your having a good day,,man what a pain !!!Working on the birds really sometimes makes you want to call up GM and cuss them out,, crapy motor designs ,,drivers side no problem,,but that passenger side is the devil,,wish me luck,, will get back on it soon !!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.