Camaro Zone Forums banner

Starts and Stalls (kind of urgent)

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Ercmann 
#1 · (Edited)
So, I tested my battery already, and the alternator is brand new. Went to start my car yesterday and initially, it just wouldn't crank at all, leading me to think it was a bad battery initially. Now I've gotten it tested and it will turn over and start but only for a second before stalling.

I got it home by starting it, and gave it constant gas to get home. As long as I gave it just any slight bit of gas past idle it was fine in any gear, but as soon as I'd left off it would just stall out again.

I'm thinking maybe it could be the idle air control valve? I'm up for any suggestions and diagnostic information. I'm trying to have this fixed pretty quickly being a college student and having this as my daily driver.

#2 ·
Idle air control valve or throttle position sensor.
SES light on?

#3 · (Edited)
Well I had the TPS and IAC out to clean them and put them back in. And when I plugged em back in and started the car up (still had to give it gas to keep it from stalling) yes, the SES light was on then. I had also tried running it without the IAC even plugged in which I'm thinking could have thrown up a code, though it hasn't gone away yet.

I don't have a code scanner. Any way I could check to see if one them failed?

#7 ·
Same result with the MAF. I even tried cleaning it and every other sensor that might have something to do with it. And no codes are being thrown/pending. The only reason that code was thrown earlier was because I started the car without the sensor plugged in and it went away after I plugged it back in.

#12 ·
bam,, glad you fixed,, it was my first guess. did a budddyes truck one time and got all back together and only thing that I didn't plug back in was the IAC valve, cause it was way in the back of the engine bay and being a truck its like on the other side of a mountain. lol anything it wouldn't idle and pluged back in and bam,,, Good Work man,!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.