Camaro Zone Forums banner

strong gas smell

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  NavyVet 
#1 ·
My 3.8l firebird has been sitting for a few months with an empty tank. Filled it up today and added seafoam, and took it on a 20 minute drive. About 10 min. Into the drive I noticed a fuel smell. It was very strong even after putting down the window. I did not notice any drop in the fuel gauge. The smell happened shortly after I went over a bump in the road, and my already loose tail pipe, scraped the road. But don't see how that would have anything to do with a gas smell....any ideas?

#5 ·
Any SES lights?

Could be something bad in the EVAP system or could be a leaking pressure regulator or fuel injector. Need to know more about how she runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Camaro Zone
no lights came on. ill look at it tomorrow.

#4 ·
Take a look inside your gas filler pipe. There should be a stainless steel flap valve about 6 inches inside. If it is missing or bent or has no spring to it, that can cause gas to slop out with any abrupt action. It's purpose is to prevent spillage in those circumstances.

#6 ·
That flap is not to stop the gas from spilling.
If gas is coming out of the filler the gas cap is bad.
The gas cap has a seal that is supposed keep it air tight and leak proof.

#7 · (Edited)
That flap IS to stop the gas from slopping out when the car moves a lot. I know because mine is bent and if I fill the tank over 3/4 full, the gas comes out while cornering. I have what is called a "case history". Why do you THINK it is there?

The cap seal is only air-tight up to about 1 psi, which is way lower than a surge produces.

#9 ·
No the gas cap holds more than 1psi. The evap system is capable of pulling 5-7 lbs of vacuum and pressurizing the tank to 10+ psi. If you have fuel leaking from the filler you have a bad cap. Ever head the hissing when you remove the gas cap from these cars? It's normal and it's a lot more than 1psi being let off. You have case history of a bad gas cap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.