Camaro Zone Forums banner

Struts and Shocks- Any Recommendations?

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Potmunkey 
#1 ·
The Monroe Sensa-Trac struts and shocks I put on the car 6+ years ago are going soft. I was never happy with them (way too soft in turns), so I'd like to explore other options.

I know that Bilstein is universally recommended as the best shock absorber out there, but they're also pretty pricey (I think I saw $145 per strut). Are there any other brands out there that you guys have tried that are priced a little lower?

It's not a race car, but I'd like something with a firm ride that could still be ok for daily driving.

Recommendations on brands for a set of stock-height springs would be welcome, too. I'm sure those have sunk over the years.

#2 ·
The Monroe Sensa-Trac struts and shocks I put on the car 6+ years ago are going soft. I was never happy with them (way too soft in turns), so I'd like to explore other options.

I know that Bilstein is universally recommended as the best shock absorber out there, but they're also pretty pricey (I think I saw $145 per strut). Are there any other brands out there that you guys have tried that are priced a little lower?

It's not a race car, but I'd like something with a firm ride that could still be ok for daily driving.

Recommendations on brands for a set of stock-height springs would be welcome, too. I'm sure those have sunk over the years.
If your wanting a cheap shock for less than 145 per one good luck I got 700 in mine and it rides Amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Camaro Zone

#5 ·
KYB AGX adjustables will run you about $400 for a set. They are still not as good as Bilsteins or Koni, though. Strano shocks (re-valved Bilsteins) are also highly recommended but again, are pricy.

When you say you want it to ride firmer, I'm assuming you want less "bounce" and give in turns? The bounce is caused by weak springs and aeration in your shocks. Did you replace the springs too when you did the shocks? I bought MOOG springs because I was able to get them at a great discount and didn't want to lower my car on the awful roads in my area (some pot holes get 6-8 inches deep, major road construction on Main Street for the next 3 years, and tire grooves where heavy vehicles made the road sink). The front actually rode about an inch higher than the rear until the springs settled in. Kind of wish I'd bought lowering springs though because I might move where it'd make sense to have them.

#12 ·
New springs will make new shocks perform better and last longer. If your new shocks are fighting worn out springs, they will wear faster and at the deeper stages of damping where it's most important.

If you get shocks, get springs. Especially if you're still on the originals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.