Camaro Zone Forums banner

Turbo Help

Tags
turbo turbos
2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Camarojuana 
#1 ·
I'm looking to put a turbo on my '98 V6 can somebody help me choose the right turbo. I'm looking for one that will make some nice power but wont empty my wallet.

#2 ·
It's kinda hard to find good turbos cheap, and a build like yours for a 3.8 v6 will take a lot of custom fabrication. And you have to get your engine built up to handle the boost if you want to make any real hp. It would be a lot cheaper and easier if it was for a V8.

That said, here's the only turbo V6 Camaro built I even thought was worth a damn. It's twin turbo and pretty sick.... But a lot of work to get there.

http://www.camaroperformers.com/fea...camaro-1993-2003/camp-0812-2000-chevy-camaro/

#5 ·
Like others said a good turbo set up cost some money. Other options would be an m90 supercharger . A guy on fullthrottlev6 is looking to make an m90 kit for f bodies for less than 1k. But I'd say the cheapest is nitrous. On stock internAls it can handle a 100hp shot and it might be 1500 for everything. It's cheaper if u pick up a used kit.

#6 ·
Even if you go with a cheap turbo from ebay or find a used name brand turbo rough prices on parts you need to make a turbo setup work
-turbo $500+ (plus cost of rebuild on a used unit or with eBay turbos having it checked out)
-wastegate $200+
-blow off valve $170+
-intercooler $120+
-charge piping $100
-silicone fittings $20 each (talking quality here the cheap ones blow apart)
-custom manifolds or turbo headers and hot piping $1000+
-oil lines $200

Then expect to spend another $1500-2000 in other miscellaneous parts like fuel injectors l, fuel pump, Hotwire kit, tune, catch can setup for the PCV system.

You can look at my turbo build for an idea of what it takes. I did all my fab work myself to save some money and because I can but only used the highest quality parts. I have roughly $7k in my setup and its not "done " yet.

As far as where you can go for cheaper parts boost control (wastegate and BOV) are not the place to be cheap and get eBay shit. Last thing you want it's a boost control component to fail and put you in an over boost situation.

#8 ·
Haha Tease's TT camaro was a show car mostly. The turbo piping for that thing looked like a bunch of coiled snakes. There's a few others out there that are almost entirely stock looking and done like that on purpose. "Just some V6, nothing to worry abou-OMGWTFBBQ!?" Those guys have done a lot of trial, error, research, and broken parts in their quest of getting it all right.

As everybody else has said, a turbo build will just straight up take your wallet, especially if you can't do any fab work. A reasonable shop will charge about $100/hr for fab work because the car will be taking up space on a lift and all that stuff. You'll want it all welded up properly by somebody that understands metal work under high temp situations. The jack and jill exhaust shops won't cut it. Most of their welds are subpar at the very least.

A small 60mm T3 hybrid turbo would do good on stock internals. Ball bearing setups will have faster spool, but usually $300 more than journal bearing.

You'll need bigger injectors, closer to 42lb/hr and a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator. Bigger fuel pump at least a walbro style 255.

After it is all said and done, you'll need to be able to tune it right or have somebody there that can tune the car. Once you've got it tuned, you can't deviate from that or try and "turn up the boost" on a tune that isn't setup for it. You will break your motor and the internet will laugh at your misfortune. Trust me, it's happened because people have been told not to increase the boost until it is tuned right.

They increased the boost.

And then tried to play naive when they found their starter on the ground when it went pop.

Heck I've researched and kept up with other turbo builds for a few years now and just now getting moving on the parts pile. By the time I'm ready to do this I hope to have another regular DD to use.

#9 · (Edited)
Haha Tease's TT camaro was a show car mostly. The turbo piping for that thing looked like a bunch of coiled snakes.
Some of that could be because of the twin turbos and the fact that she wanted to maintain the heat/air conditioning and power steering in the car. But overall it's a pretty impressive build.

I'm a little disappointed in the link I posted earlier because though it does have the article about the Six-Tease Camaro it did not include the Tech Box like in the Magazine. (I only heard of this car because I'm a subscriber of Camaro performers and it was a featured car)

A quick rundown:
3.8 series 2 v-6, 9:1 compression ratio, ASE custom heads decked with milled intake, stock crank, cowler custom forged pushrods, diamond deep dish pistons, comp cams 210/210-at-.050 hydraulic roller; .496/.480;112 LSA, stock intake ported with an LS1 throttle body and custom FLP adapter plate, stock tank, custom dual in-tank walbro 255lph pumps; precision turbo 95 lb/hr low-impedance injectors, twin precision turbo 60mm GT turbos, two tial 44mm wastegates, true dual exhaust.

It's pretty fu*king sick. Lol. It made 475 hp at 15 lb of boost, and its "approximate" hp is 600. Those are impressive numbers, even for a V8.

#10 ·
Yeah she was a pretty active member on fullthrottlev6 a few years back. They were finishing up a FAST EFI setup and it MUNCHED the valvetrain. The double roller actually came apart/jumped teeth and ate it all. I think the chamfer was wrong on the snout of the crank and it stretched the chain enough to let it jump.

At that time, it was one of the cleanest 4th gens around, V6 or V8.

I was mainly referring to how the hot pipes looked from under the car. A tubular k-member really helps with the clearance now. Don't know if it was available or installed back when she first did her build.

I have all intentions of keeping my heat/AC on my build. Just this past week it was in the 90's on monday, in the 40s the next day down to the 20's that night. Screw that.

#11 ·
I was mainly referring to how the hot pipes looked from under the car. A tubular k-member really helps with the clearance now. Don't know if it was available or installed back when she first did her build.
Oh, that clears things up a lot. I wasn't aware exactly what you were referring to, or of the clearance issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.