Camaro Zone Forums banner

V6 Won't go above 80mph!?

3K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  96z28cali 
#1 ·
Okay so I know already that it's time to have my trans rebuilt but early tonight on my way home I noticed that it will no longer go 100mph. I've been that fast in it before but now it won't go over 80. I know I'm shouldn't be doing that with a bad transmission Yada Yada but does that have something to do with a bad trans or is something else the problem? V6 automatic btw.

#2 ·
80 and 100mph? Where are you doing that? You shouldn't be driving that fast anywhere in the US Except in Texas on the western end of I-10, where the speed limit is actually 80mph. This is just a speeding ticket waiting to happen.
Anyway, yes, also shouldn't be abusing it if the trans is messed up. And the Trans is Probably the issue.

#3 ·
I'm sure this was on a track and not a public highway. Anyway, keep that crap off the street it will get someone hurt or killed. As for the issue you're having, I lean towards the trans since its already a problem, but do you have a check engine light on?

Sent from my Z796C using Camaro Zone mobile app

#9 ·
Just thought I'd update, I went to autozone and ran the codes. I have a misfire and my catalytic converter is going bad. Total replacement cost is going to be about $200. More than likely I just need to replace my sparkplugs. Beats rebuilding the trans.

#12 ·
What were the actual codes? Most of the people that work at parts stores don't really know all that much about what they are talking about, hence why they sell parts not repair cars. It's more likely to have a faulty O2 sensor than a failed cat. You can do a vacuum test to test for a clogged cat.

Reactions: 99camarogirl
#16 ·
Yeah if since are no emissions, go for it. No harm done from gutting the cat. And even a slight gain in power due to a less restricted exhaust system. Nothing that you will really feel, but your track times will slightly go up. Like a tenth of a second in the 1/4 mile. Also if you gut them, you can sell the internals to a scrapyard. There's platinum in it and worth more than plain scrap metal.
On top of all that, exhaust will probably sound better. But you will have a code that will trigger the service engine light. You will have to tune it out through the PCM or get an O2 sensor simulator to replace the real sensor. Or just live with the dash light until the bulb burns out lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Camaro Zone

#17 · (Edited)
If it's just a random misfire code, can't help but wonder if it's a fuel starvation issue caused by a clogged fuel filter or failing fuel pump.

Reactions: ZexGX
#23 · (Edited)
What I'm trying to say is, start with one item and work your way up from there...your issue can stem from weak fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, a weak coil, a bad/failing ICM, a bad catalytic convertor, etc...changing everything all at once doesn't isolate just where the problem is stemming from and can lead you to run around in circles trying to isolate and diagnose...

After fuel filter (if the problem persists) run a fuel pressure test...

EDIT: just saw your other thread...just change the CAT...

#25 ·
Hey man. I'm having the exact same issue with my car u get p0306 bad combustion misfire on 6 cylinder flashing SES and car has no torque at take off and won't accelerate above 80mph could it be that the misfire is caused by limp in mode the engine is shutting down some cylinders to prevent damage to engine and transmission because the transmission is failing

Sent from my Camaro Using my iPod

#26 · (Edited)
Hey man. I'm having the exact same issue with my car u get p0306 bad combustion misfire on 6 cylinder flashing SES and car has no torque at take off and won't accelerate above 80mph could it be that the misfire is caused by limp in mode the engine is shutting down some cylinders to prevent damage to engine and transmission because the transmission is failing

Sent from my Camaro Using my iPod
No
fix the misfire issue. It's a coil pack, plug or wire, or possibly an injector but that is rare.

#27 ·
Still doubt it's the issue is the cat. The misfire needs to be fixed first but that misfire could cause damage to the cat by dumping raw fuel into the exhaust.

#28 ·
You are exactly right, only reason your cat would go bad is if something else is interfering with the way it's suppose to work. I say replace the plugs and cut the cat. Plain and simple plus you make more money than you end up spending when you sell the stuff inside the cat 👍

#29 ·
Most places I've been do NOT make it easy to sell them your catalytic converter. Proof of ownership and replacement required.

Replacement is a federal thing;proof of ownership is a local thing because thieves tend to cut them off trucks/jeeps because of the precious metals.

#30 ·
Most places I've been do NOT make it easy to sell them your catalytic converter. Proof of ownership and replacement required.

Replacement is a federal thing;proof of ownership is a local thing because thieves tend to cut them off trucks/jeeps because of the precious metals.

Dang.
I sold my converter internals easily when I gutted mine. I guess it depends on area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.