Camaro Zone Forums banner

'84 Firebird S/E with '86 Caprice 305 V8 Engine Wiring Harness of Engine wont connect

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  BBCAM 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

my Situation is that I am converting an '84 Firebird S/E from a 2.8L Carb Engine to an '86 Caprice Carb Engine. I got the Engine with the entire Wiring and ECM but the connector that has to plug in to the Firewall is too big and I am still having the wiring harness from the 2.8L Carb Engine but I dont know if that will work. The Engine is Chevy 305 LG4 (Low Output) with an Rochester 4 Barrel Carb. So my Question is if the '86 Firebird S/E with the 305 LG4 Carb Engine wiring Hardness will fit/work? Or are you guys recommending to build a wiring harness from scratch?

Thanks in advance

#3 ·
don't know much about that year
might sound silly but what is the harness caring. wouldn't the harness just be for gauges. how many sensors are there. seems like you could just make up your own.. can't be that much to hook up if its carb. maybe out in left field though.

find a wiring diagram for the cars and trace the wires. might just take a lot of time to figure out which ones to hook up where. with connectors.

good luck

#5 ·
if thats a OBD1 then would you have to pull about all the old harness and switch everything over even under the dash???

#6 ·
The issue here is you are trying to make things too difficult, the Car does not know what engine it has and the sensors for the V/6 engine are simmilar to the V/8 ones
or they can be changed to V/8 sensors if they dont fit,
starter and alternater wires may need to be repositioned but are the same for any engine ...
the only issue you might run into is if you need to be compliant for emmissions , if not just run the wires for everything where they need to be and modify the ends if necessary ( ie you may have different wires for a coil type V/6 engine as opposed to a single wire HEI V/8 harness) but the wires are there get a wireing diagram (Haynes or chilton manual) it's fairly easy to find everything ...it's all there just in a different spot with a V/8...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.