auto to stick conversion - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > Camaro & Firebird Tech Forums > 3rd Gen (1982-92) Camaro and Firebird Tech

Join Camaro Zone Today

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 10-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Talking auto to stick conversion

Ok, I'm new here and I know something like this has been done before, but I'm not interested in changing motors. I only want to swap my auto trans for a manual five speed From the same year, nothing fancy. I have a 92 Camaro rs with the 305 TBI, bash me If you want but its been a great motor, smokes my tires with ease. I'm considering looking into this swap, I have buddies that can help but I'm not sure on how much it would be or if it would be reliable afterwards. Help is much appreciated, thanks in advance to anyone willing to help.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Garage
Nothing to bash about a clean original Camaro..

This is a straightforward swap in the world of transmission changes- the hardest part will be swapping the pedals, and of course you will have to cut a hole for the shifter.

The transmission you will need is the T5, will also need clutch hydraulics and pressure plate/flywheel. Other than that it will bolt right up.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:18 PM   #3

There's nothing wrong with a 305.

You should check with your local salvage yards and see if you can get the pedal assembly and anything else you need from a manual transmission car. It'll be cheaper and you'll see exactly how it all bolts together. Take pictures before removing anything. And make sure you have everything you need before starting the transmission swap. Nothing's more aggravating then starting a project and realize there's one little thing you're missing and can't find anywhere.

I'd get a new clutch and flywheel. If you go with a used flywheel, take it to a machine shop and have it resurfaced. It's a good time to check your u joints, pinion seal, and transmission seals since it'll all be accessible. Also make sure the speedometer drive gear is the same color.

I'm not sure if the manual and automatic transmissions are the same length or not. If not, you'll need to get the correct length driveshaft. Im sure someone here knows and will let us know. Transmissions are not my strong point, but there are a couple of guys on here that could teach a class on them if they wanted to. And there's always the Internet. Good luck.