forged 84z build thread - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > Camaro & Firebird Tech Forums > 3rd Gen (1982-92) Camaro and Firebird Tech

Join Camaro Zone Today

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 04-25-2013, 12:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

forged 84z build thread

How's it goin guys? As much as I'm enjoying cruising with the t-tops off this year its about time to start amassing parts for my build/swap, which is going to be a PITA by the way. I'm going from a carbed 350/ 700r4 to a Lt1/ t56. I've already located a suitable car for all the major drive train parts, and plan on purchasing it within the next couple weeks. However I have to make a few big decisions now as far as the motor goes before I start clearing out summit. I really want to do some forced induction and I'm leaning towards twin turbos just because I personally haven't seen a twin turboed 3rd gen, even though I know they're out there. However I can't find a kit for my year model and I don't know if a kit for a 4th gen would bolt up even though I'll be using a 4th gen motor. So any help yall can provide on that front would be awesome. So once I have most of the parts I'll be selling my whole drive train and thankfully ive convinced a good friend of mine to join the third gen army, so I'll be able to sell a lot of it to him. But whatever he doesnt buy will be up on here and craigslist in a few months. But if you guys have done this before or have any tips or tricks, they would be most appreciated. Pics will be coming as I make progress.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:33 AM   #2
Addicted Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by forged84z View Post
How's it goin guys? As much as I'm enjoying cruising with the t-tops off this year its about time to start amassing parts for my build/swap, which is going to be a PITA by the way. I'm going from a carbed 350/ 700r4 to a Lt1/ t56. I've already located a suitable car for all the major drive train parts, and plan on purchasing it within the next couple weeks. However I have to make a few big decisions now as far as the motor goes before I start clearing out summit. I really want to do some forced induction and I'm leaning towards twin turbos just because I personally haven't seen a twin turboed 3rd gen, even though I know they're out there. However I can't find a kit for my year model and I don't know if a kit for a 4th gen would bolt up even though I'll be using a 4th gen motor. So any help yall can provide on that front would be awesome. So once I have most of the parts I'll be selling my whole drive train and thankfully ive convinced a good friend of mine to join the third gen army, so I'll be able to sell a lot of it to him. But whatever he doesnt buy will be up on here and craigslist in a few months. But if you guys have done this before or have any tips or tricks, they would be most appreciated. Pics will be coming as I make progress.
You will need to custom fab a lot of the parts. its not gonna be a weekend swap...

Kawasaki Ninja500
150cc Scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarojuana View Post
oh! And some tacky mother****er with a green 05 or 06 V6 Stang on some 22's" on the corner of my block. **** that dude.
Michaelrulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:05 AM   #3

To tell you the truth, I really dont want it to be. I graduated from NASCAR tech, and I know how to build CNC programs so I'm not so much worried about the custom pieces except for the turbo piping just because I don't have the machines to bend pipe and I've never made turbo piping from scratch. Roll cages and tube chassis, yes, but turbo piping, negative. Plus with my luck, if I could do it all in a weekend, something would go terribly wrong lol.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:05 AM   #4
CZ's Turbo Gawd
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Garage
Not really sure what sure what your budget is but for a TT LT1 you will have at least $9k in the turbo setup. Then depending on how much boost you run and what power numbers you want you will drop another $9-10k on a motor build.

Honestly making the hot side isn't too hard. You can look at my build thread for some Ideas. I just cut my piping at 22* for most of the pieces then pieced it together.

Now if you are going with an LT1 you can check out ktksbai build thread to see what's involved in a t-56 LT1 swap into a third gen.
Also check out LT1boost.net

-1994 Trans Am Gt: caged, CC503, Garrett GT45, 6Lbs, 3.73
-2011 Camaro SS convertible: SOLD
94 T/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #5

Thanks, I'll definitely have to check those out. As far as the budget goes I'd like to keep the whole car under 50k over the next 3-4 years, the drive train will probably be the last to go in, just because that will take the longest to get together, and because I'll still want to take my car out for a cruise when I get a wild hair on a nice day.