just thinking... - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > Camaro & Firebird Tech Forums > 3rd Gen (1982-92) Camaro and Firebird Tech

Join Camaro Zone Today

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 09-13-2013, 02:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

just thinking...

I was thinkin real hard about this while situation and come to think of it its never really run hot with me, it's always gotten up around 240ish or whatever that line is right before the red zone on the temp gauge, and I haven't noticed any coolant loss lately either and I've Ben checking it before I crank it up every time. And I was reading on thirdgen that a lot of guys have this problem and most of them put an aluminum radiator in with 2 or 3 rows in it with dual electric fans and that fixes them up. Maybe smoke and trouble keeping it running is a fuel problem, I've never really been able to tell the exact color of the smoke through my tint but it looks white. I usually tend to over think problems and think the worst possible problem. Any ideas?

Old 09-13-2013, 02:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie.maniac93
I was thinkin real hard about this while situation and come to think of it its never really run hot with me, it's always gotten up around 240ish or whatever that line is right before the red zone on the temp gauge, and I haven't noticed any coolant loss lately either and I've Ben checking it before I crank it up every time. And I was reading on thirdgen that a lot of guys have this problem and most of them put an aluminum radiator in with 2 or 3 rows in it with dual electric fans and that fixes them up. Maybe smoke and trouble keeping it running is a fuel problem, I've never really been able to tell the exact color of the smoke through my tint but it looks white. I usually tend to over think problems and think the worst possible problem. Any ideas?
Well, I will tell you, I had a tbi 305 in a 92 before I swapped. And that stock engine was ridiculous to keep cool... However, I ended up replacing quite a bit of my cooling part to fix it and it was all easy just spread out over time. Also one thing you should consider, I had radiator hoses collapsing when I was reving up because of old age. When my car was idling it was fine, it'd be good for hours and then I'd drive it a mile and hot as shit. So new hoses, I made a new seal on the intake coolant output where the top radiator hose meets the engine, and there are few things that can always be done... Oh and my 427 now runs at roughly a little less than 180. I had to replace a few things but once you get it right you don't have to worry about it again. Also buy water wetter from autoozone, I kid you not, ~20* drop from the time I bought it, to the time I got home in average running temp... It's BA

Old 09-13-2013, 03:15 AM   #3

Yea I've heard that stuff works miracles. But Im still not sure about the puff of smoke I get occasionally, it's never constant smoke, just right after I crank the car up and there isn't any condensation if I put my hand up to the tail pipe so I'm not completely convinced it is a head gasket
Old 09-13-2013, 05:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

At some point and time more than likely that engine has gotten pretty hot. It doesn't hurt anything. Mine did it too. It's no biggie usually. however, just in case check you oil and antifreeze and make sure there isn't any antifreeze in the oil and vice versa
Old 09-13-2013, 06:00 AM   #5

I've checked, multiple times. But it does bother me a good bit that it's gotten that hot and runs at those temps. I did find a 305 on Craigslist for $300 which by the time I have everything on my motor machined and gaskets and all that it comes out pretty close. But I'm not sure what year it was made, I know it was pulled out of a truck but I don't think that really makes much of a difference. And it looks really good actually, it is carbed but I know a lot of people that have traded throttle body injection for carbs so I don't think that will be much if a problem. I'm just worried about it bolting up to my transmission and all of my accessories fitting properly. Is there any differences, or is a 305 simply a 305?
Old 09-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie.maniac93 View Post
The design of third gen Camaros make it very difficult for cool air to flow through the radiator and around the engine. The front clip is almost completely sealed and relies heavily on the plastic air dam under the front end to scoop up outside air and direct it across the radiator. Combine that with how low these cars sit to the ground and the tight engine compartments, it's a wonder they don't overheat constantly. I'd double check the air dam, or whatever the things called, to make sure it's secured properly and not cracked. Not to say that's the problem, but it could be contributing to it. I also read in this post someone mentioning changing your radiator hoses. That's a great idea. Sometimes hoses look good on the outside, but they're delaminating on the inside causing a restriction. As far as the smoke goes, that could be something totally separate. If the car has high miles it could be the valve seals leaking or a number of other things causing the engine to burn a little oil. You might not even notice it when you check the oil.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
The "Senior" Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Garage
How long since the thermostat was changed?
Have you checked / replaced the temp sending unit?

96 T/A, Black/Graphite Leather, T-Tops, 6 speed, 10 speaker Delco/Bose "Monsoon"
Original owner, 191k miles and counting.
Total engine rebuild at 187,020 miles.
AIR delete. Bored .030 over.
Comp cams Xtreme Energy LT1 266HR-14 street cam and springs..
NavyVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Navyvet and 383 stroker are also pretty much right. I forgot to mention a thermostat. I absolutely always buy a new one when I buy a car without fail. Cheap and a guarantee that It is now new. Also, 383 stroker mentioned that air damn. And I'm glad he did, I forgot that I am supposed to be metal fabing one. I'd almost send a 20 dollar bill of you had yours... The thing is with our front end being low, and long, and wants to give you that skipping feel at high speeds (like a boat) those damns dont want to stick around... Order one of eBay for about $25 and from what I hear expect a ~20*-30* degree drop. And yes a 305 is a 305... Sorta. Diff gen small blocks have diff little quirks. My starter wouldn't bolt up from my 305 block to my 400 block. Same dimensions looks the same, but a little different. I also had to buy adapters for some of my sensors on the sides of the block. And this wasnt because of the size did in ci. Just because they were made in years. So for the most part all of your major stuff will be the same, but as with anything big expect a few things that aren't 100% black and white, you might have a very tiny hiccup here and there....
Old 09-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #9

Well my condenser has got to come out it is way bad, and my ac doesn't work anyway but what do the air dams look like? And I did replace one and swapped a brand new 180 stat for a 160 last weekend. And there's a bunch of junk between my radiator and condenser like grass clippings and such
Old 09-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #10

Did replace one hose, maybe I should go get the other and a few feet of heater hose
Old 09-13-2013, 12:51 PM   #11

Would this be the air dam y'all are telling me about? : http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...d=310724822363
Old 09-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #12
CZ's Turbo Gawd

Garage
That's it.

-1994 Trans Am Gt: caged, CC503, Garrett GT45, 6Lbs, 3.73
-2011 Camaro SS convertible: SOLD
94 T/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #13

Thanks y'all. I just noticed that the smoke is for sure white
Old 09-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #14

But when I see the white smoke I've noticed that all I can smell is gas
Old 09-13-2013, 06:51 PM   #15
The "Senior" Member

Garage
Cleaning the junk out and putting an air damn on it should fix the problem.
The fans don't run over 40 MPH so the air damn is extremely important.

96 T/A, Black/Graphite Leather, T-Tops, 6 speed, 10 speaker Delco/Bose "Monsoon"
Original owner, 191k miles and counting.
Total engine rebuild at 187,020 miles.
AIR delete. Bored .030 over.
Comp cams Xtreme Energy LT1 266HR-14 street cam and springs..
NavyVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #16

Well my fan runs constant, PO had it wired into the ignition. I'm probably going to completely remove condenser because it's bent all to hell and my a/c doesn't work anyway. So it looks like I'll have to wait until Monday to order the air dam since the bank is closed and I usually keep cash.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie.maniac93 View Post
Well my fan runs constant, PO had it wired into the ignition. I'm probably going to completely remove condenser because it's bent all to hell and my a/c doesn't work anyway. So it looks like I'll have to wait until Monday to order the air dam since the bank is closed and I usually keep cash.
I'm assuming yours is either broke or missing since you're buying a new one. A new one is definitely a better way to go than used. Used ones are usually all distorted and/or cracked at the mounting holes. I looked at the one on eBay, that's one expensive a piece of plastic.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #18

Well I searched for it and can't seem to locate one under my car, unless it's tucked up somewhere I wouldn't expect it to be. Where should it bolt up at?
Old 09-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Right. The one for my third gen is like $30... Damn. But it should definitely help get air into the engine bay and flowing....
Old 09-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #20

On eBay? Mines a third gen but that was the cheapest one I've found so far