passenger side exhaust manifold gasket - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > Camaro & Firebird Tech Forums > 3rd Gen (1982-92) Camaro and Firebird Tech

Join Camaro Zone Today

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 08-19-2013, 04:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

passenger side exhaust manifold gasket

Ok so as ya'll know the other day I was looking around under the hid and noticed someone oil leaks and am exhaust leak. Driver side valve cover gasket was my main oil leak but im almost certain that the exhaust leak is the manifold gasket on the passenger side, where everything is in the way. Anybody wanna give more the low down on the easiest way to do this. Figured while I'm in there at em I might as well throw some new plugs in

Old 08-23-2013, 12:59 AM   #2

time and patience a good assortment of wrenches and deff. a can our two of bp blaster

Old 08-23-2013, 04:40 AM   #3

Sounds like a weekend job when I actually have some time to be patient
Old 08-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie.maniac93 View Post
Sounds like a weekend job when I actually have some time to be patient
if your just doing the one side it shouldn't take you all weekend maybe a hour or two at the most
Old 08-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #5

That's about what I figure but I sleep dang near all day, I work 12 hour nights at the sawmill doing maintenance. The only reason I'm awake now is because I just got done putting a new water pump, thermostat, hose, and cap on this car. The only time I have to lay stuff out and remember what goes where is usually on the weekends in the afternoon.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #6

ahh ok i see well good luck o and start with the back bolts on the manifold and loosen up the bolts on the collector too that will make it easier to move around
Old 08-23-2013, 12:01 PM   #7

Garage
The manifolds can be a bit of a pain in the ass. But yeah, definitely need patience. Don't expect to get it done relatively quickly or you'll probably have a bad time. Start early in the weekend if you can to give yourself more time if you end up needing it for one reason or another.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #8

Well I'm putting a new flange gasket in too so the collector will be loose. I just put a set on a 71 mustang 302 for a buddy of mine, those weren't bad at all. But then again the only thing I had to take off was the spark plug wires, the camaro has a little more in the way
Old 08-25-2013, 11:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie.maniac93 View Post
Well I'm putting a new flange gasket in too so the collector will be loose. I just put a set on a 71 mustang 302 for a buddy of mine, those weren't bad at all. But then again the only thing I had to take off was the spark plug wires, the camaro has a little more in the way
I just did both sides and the passenger side can be a b***h. Its easier to do the very back ones from the bottom. And don't make the mistake of tightening down any of them til they're all started. I know, dumb.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:43 AM   #10

Yea I was looking at it the other night. Didn't get a chance to mess with it this weekend had to work Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday. But with that 70+ hour check maybe I'll just pay someone to do it but I doubt it, the girlfriend has been begging me all month to go out and next weekend we don't have any big projects at work so I reckon we'll ride to Savannah. Bass pro here I come