Camaro Zone Forums banner

Push Button Starter Install Help

9K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Meatwad 
#1 ·
I recently bought the Pilot push button starter switch kit, I know a little about wiring but not enough to take this on without seeking advice and not having a diagram doesn't help. :p I wanna use the rocker switch to turn on accessories and ignition, and then use the engine start button to fire the engine. Whats the best way to go about doing this? http://www.camarozone.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

Car: 85 Z28, 5spd manual

#3 ·
To turn the accessories and ignition hot circuits on from a rocker the correct way, you will need to remove your steering wheel, remove the lock plate, remove the ignition cylinder and turn signal switches to access the wiring that goes to the ignition switch. The wrong way to do it is to start cutting wires under the steering column.

You will need to trace diagrams to find which wires are carrying the signal for the circuits you want, and re-direct them to your switch. If you want to do ign and acc, you may want to consider a double pole switch to keep them separated and minimize the number of wires spliced into one terminal.

#4 ·
What year car? It may have vats and therefore need to have either vats removed or a resistor added.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Camaro Zone mobile app

#7 ·
Nothing is staying stock. I've throwing in a 350 within the next month or so. Plus I've always thought they looked bitchin'! I don't plan on selling it, I've got too much put into it. I'd simplify just tap into the wiring so I could use either the key or the switches

#8 ·
Do what you want man- thats what makes third gens fun. I just hope especially when it comes to wiring you take your time and do a professional job, if not all it will do is come back to haunt you and cause all kinds of problems later on.

Wiring switches to do what the ignition switch does really isn't complicated, as each wire is just being provided with power as the key turns progressively further- find which wires correspond to which key positions, and all you have to do is put power to that wire using your switch(es).

You may find these of use:
http://austinthirdgen.org/mkportal/modules/contents/images/Fig20_1985_body_wiring.gif
http://austinthirdgen.org/mkportal/modules/contents/images/Fig21_1985_body_wiring_continued.gif

Post pictures or specific questions if you need more help.

~Steven

#10 ·
Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Hood Grille
I got tied up with work. Here's the plan: remove cigarette lighter and replace with the push button and remove the rear window heater switch and replace with the accessory and engine kill switch.

Rear window heater doesn't work so I don't care about that. Will most likely put the cigarette lighter where the fog light switch would be on other years.

#13 ·
Gotta pull the wheel and lock plate, both of which require special pullers (available at any parts store) to get the plastics off and expose the wiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Camaro Zone
Not to access the electrical ignition switch you don't
The electrical switch is on top of the column under the dash.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.