Camaro Zone Forums banner

2000 trans am build.

3K views 28 replies 7 participants last post by  Harlock 
#1 ·
Thought i would start a little build thread. Im going to be pulling the motor hopefully in a week or so. Need to fix a few oil leaks and figured i might as well put some new stuff on while im at it. So far i have motor mounts and tranny mounts. It didn't need them but i figured while its out i might as well.

There's a pretty good tick in one of the heads so i figured might as well toss on a set of 799 heads while its open. Hoping on buying a small cam for it. Thinking the 224r cam i figure i can get away without a stall for now. I know i should just get a stall but its just not in the budget.

Looking at getting 3.42 gears instead of the 2.73 i have. I dd the car so i dont want to lose too much fuel economy.

Took the hood off for ceiling clearance took the battery out and intake lid out. Its a start lol.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Camaro Zone mobile app

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Tick is a lifter issue not a head issue.

#12 · (Edited)
Called uap napa today priced out lifters 19 bucks a piece. Yikes. x16 320 i dont think so.

Bought a set of head bolts. Might have found a decent set of lifters on ebay for 200. The only thing that sucks about living in canada is that every thing comes from the US and the exchange right now is retarded.

#13 ·
I bought a set they should be here this week. 210 shipped.

Im interested in buying a stall. I called a transmission shop that builds stalls. He said that because i have a 2000 that i might have a 10 or 12 inch converter. Something about it wither has a trany with a removable belhousing or one that doesnt. I haven't had tome to look and see what i have. Is this true.

#17 ·
Get a hold of sniper on here. Idk if he's still around but he built me mine.

1996 Firebird- 3.8l w/ H/C/I/N20
2000 Camaro Z28- LS1 "cam only"

#14 ·
Lifters are here. They were shipped in a box in a bag. Box was open and lifters have been banging around loose for the trip. Not happy about it. 2 of them spin then its like there is something inside it gets caught on.

#18 ·
I messaged him a while ago and got nothing.

Also today i went and picked up the rims. One had curb rash and another has a bit of a dent in the lip. I got him to lower the price and grabbed them anyways. I figure i will keep the 2 that look crappy and put drag radials on them for when i got to the track. The other reason i bought them is because he said he has the rest of the car sitting at home with a blown engine. Its a ws6 with a 6 speed. Maybe i won't need the stall if i make it a stick. He said he would let it go for under a 1000. So i figure cool parts car cheap.

#20 ·
Bought a tote box and a bunch of pinesol yesterday. I was trying to find a good way to clean my heads read a lot about soaking in pinesol. Figured i would try it out. Also disassembled the heads. For what i paid for everything so far trying to clean them cheap could have had someone do it. Engine degreaser, wire brushes, car wash soapy water, pinesol and tote.

Attachments

#21 ·
The pinesol really works im very surprised if i were to do it again i would make sure i had enough to submerge the whole thing some of it started oxidizing and the valve seats started to rust but a quick scrub with the wire brush fixed it all up. Dunked them in hot water to get the pinesol off dried them with paper towel. The sprayed them down with wd40.turned out well

Attachments

#22 ·
Does anyone know if i can use a tbss intake on the ls1. I did some research and it flows better then an ls6 intake. I can buy one locally for 200. Just wondered if there was room for it as it is a bit taller. Also if it would be direct bolt on?

#23 ·
Been slowly going at taking it apart until today. Finally got the engine out. Reassembled one of the 799 heads with ls3 springs. For the cam im ordering monday. Im going with one of comps low lift cams. Leaning on the 224/228 534/537 112. Unless there's another i haven't found under 550 lift that's got a little more duration. Here's some pics fron today. I reinforced my trusses with a couple 2x6 with 6x6 posts for jacks and a couple chainfalls worked perfect. Everyone said it wouldn't hold but its been hanging for a coupke weeks now.

Attachments

#24 ·
So over the past little while i have slowly taken apart the engine. I disconnected all the wiring except the fuel injectors. I left them attached to the intake so i dont mess that up when i put it back on. Intake is off. exhaust manifolds are off. Heads are off. All the bolts for everything came off with out breaking. Except for 2 already broken exhaust bolts. I changed my spark plugs last spring before i put the car on the road. Actually my buddy did it with me. He has scrawny arms so he did most of the work. All but 2 were barely tighter then hand tight.

Attachments

#25 ·
Nice progress !

1996 Firebird- 3.8l w/ H/C/I/N20- sold
2000 Camaro Z28- LS1 "cam only"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.